A four years late formal introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2016, 09:48 PM
RE: A four years late formal introduction
Are you able to garden year-around in Berkeley? My gardening season is long over (in MA) and I am always jealous of those with an extended growing season Smile Everything around here is dead or dormant.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
12-12-2016, 10:15 PM
(12-12-2016 09:42 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 08:01 PM)whateverist Wrote:  I was actually born in Oakland, at the now nonexistent navy hospital. Bought a party house with a couple friends and rented out a couple more rooms. No doubt you are in a much better place to retire. My youngest aunt (just 3 years my senior) has a small farm just outside of Ashland, just below. They grow most of their own food.

You definitely have the dog scene covered.

Any who, nice to cyber meet you.

I had my appendix and some other sort of innards removed at that hospital, in '74. Damn near died. A little over a week in a hospital elsewhere, Medivacced to Oakland, appendectomy and then a laparotomy. If I never see Oakland again, I'll be OK with that. Though I liked buying wood at McBeaths. Made some wood projects during my time in a medical holding company, after those surgeries (when I could get vertical). I still have a couple around, as I got them back when my mother died.

Ouch! My wife actually had her appendix burst in the hospital (Alta Bates) but survived. Guess you've both a couple of survivors.

I know McBeaths of course. What projects did you make with the wood? The only project I've done with their wood is this bench I made from a rough hewn redwood plank that I cut into two pieces and placed into a corner, under some birches in the garden.

[Image: 4711136854_9f0dcc7894.jpg]

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
12-12-2016, 10:23 PM
(12-12-2016 09:48 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Are you able to garden year-around in Berkeley? My gardening season is long over (in MA) and I am always jealous of those with an extended growing season Smile Everything around here is dead or dormant.

Well I both get to and have to garden year-around. Sitting inside sipping snaps in front of a fire while you just can't do any work in the garden isn't all bad. But snails and weeds never stop here, though they do slow down given shorter, colder days. One of my wife's cousins lives out on Cape Cod so we get out there some times. Have you ever visited Chanticleer in Pennsylvania? There is no public garden I enjoy visiting more. Amazing what they can grow.

What sort of garden do you like to make? I describe mine as being one where you might wonder if nature isn't winning.

12-12-2016, 10:33 PM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
12-12-2016, 10:35 PM
I live on the Cape Smile I have never been to Chanticleer, but I am adding it to my list!

It sounds like you have a similar gardening style. We are very into attracting bees and butterflies, since their populations continue to decline. Every year, we lose more grass in favor of plants and clovers. I have gardens (including vegetable) on every side of the house. Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
12-12-2016, 10:52 PM
(12-12-2016 10:15 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 09:42 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I had my appendix and some other sort of innards removed at that hospital, in '74. Damn near died. A little over a week in a hospital elsewhere, Medivacced to Oakland, appendectomy and then a laparotomy. If I never see Oakland again, I'll be OK with that. Though I liked buying wood at McBeaths. Made some wood projects during my time in a medical holding company, after those surgeries (when I could get vertical). I still have a couple around, as I got them back when my mother died.

Ouch! My wife actually had her appendix burst in the hospital (Alta Bates) but survived. Guess you've both a couple of survivors.

I know McBeaths of course. What projects did you make with the wood? The only project I've done with their wood is this bench I made from a rough hewn redwood plank that I cut into two pieces and placed into a corner, under some birches in the garden.

[Image: 4711136854_9f0dcc7894.jpg]

I turned some bowls in the Navy work shop on Treasure Island. I'll get some pics and post 'em up at some point. Mind you that they are well over 40 years old, and some were given away. I think that I have two in my possession. McBeaths wanted to sell me a walnut slab to carve. IIRC, it was $160 at the time ('74). I'd not want to know what it would cost me now! Laugh out load The only thing (maybe) that costs more than wood is probably drugs. Dodgy Which I don't indulge in, except beer or ale, and the occasional slug of bourbon or scotch.

That's a good looking bench! How has it aged? I like the gray that wood like that turns as it ages. Sometimes the redwood doesn't get that gray.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
12-12-2016, 11:14 PM
(12-12-2016 08:03 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 06:39 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  About fucking time you showed up, here.

And, Banjo, I sent you a PM. I have a mod ready to help you over there.

Thanks but dang, Min. You're slipping. Only 47 rep? You're dogging it.

Only 2800 posts, too. What can I say. AF is home.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
16-12-2016, 04:57 PM
(12-12-2016 10:52 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I turned some bowls in the Navy work shop on Treasure Island. I'll get some pics and post 'em up at some point. Mind you that they are well over 40 years old, and some were given away. I think that I have two in my possession. McBeaths wanted to sell me a walnut slab to carve. IIRC, it was $160 at the time ('74). I'd not want to know what it would cost me now! Laugh out load The only thing (maybe) that costs more than wood is probably drugs. Dodgy Which I don't indulge in, except beer or ale, and the occasional slug of bourbon or scotch.

That's a good looking bench! How has it aged? I like the gray that wood like that turns as it ages. Sometimes the redwood doesn't get that gray.

It seems fine and it has definitely gone grey. I'm fine with that as all the other redwood around is in the same state. But sometimes I miss that surface I sanded and treated. But I probably won't sand it again or attempt to preserve the surface. Don't forget the bowls when you get a chance.

16-12-2016, 05:12 PM
(12-12-2016 08:01 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 05:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  Questions, questions! Big Grin I was in Berkeley for school, albeit I was one of those who took an interest in everything and finished nothing - I was building a business and taking classes on the side. Just pure curiosity. I lived in Oakland off Grand Avenue...spent a lot of time in Berkeley where all my friends lived.

Now I live in Southern Oregon near the CA border, where I have 4 mild seasons. Not the rain you get in the north, dry except in winter. Much better for the finances here than in Ca...

I was actually born in Oakland, at the now nonexistent navy hospital. Bought a party house with a couple friends and rented out a couple more rooms. No doubt you are in a much better place to retire. My youngest aunt (just 3 years my senior) has a small farm just outside of Ashland, just below. They grow most of their own food.

(12-12-2016 05:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  No, the Dobie is just in my sig because I liked the meme. I have a German Shepherd (flunked police canine) a Great Dane (just a year old, 110 pounds and growing) and two little fluff balls.

You definitely have the dog scene covered.

Any who, nice to cyber meet you.

Yep, I, too, spent sometime in that hospital, with an infected dog bite. (What else could it be, lol!) One day a guy comes up to my bed and asks if he could do anything. I said yes, someone left a used bed pan in the bathroom (4 people, one bathroom) and it doesn't smell too good. He nodded and left. The orderly that showed up told me I had just told the minister to clean up poop. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-12-2016, 06:20 PM
(16-12-2016 05:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yep, I, too, spent sometime in that hospital, with an infected dog bite. (What else could it be, lol!) One day a guy comes up to my bed and asks if he could do anything. I said yes, someone left a used bed pan in the bathroom (4 people, one bathroom) and it doesn't smell too good. He nodded and left. The orderly that showed up told me I had just told the minister to clean up poop. Tongue

Seems appropriate, his job is to shovel shit.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post