A friend gave me a YEC book about starlight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2012, 09:06 AM
A friend gave me a YEC book about starlight
It's called Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe.

Reading it now. I'll let y'all know what I think and the science that is discussed and used.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2012, 09:13 AM
RE: A friend gave me a YEC book about starlight
Might be interesting to see whether the proposes anything alternative to the usual hypotheses I've heard (e.g., light created in transit, c not constant, etc etc). I see that he puts "Ph.D." prominently after his name on the cover, though, which makes me think I'm not going to be impressed. People who are confident in their own education and thinking skills don't need to bolster their own egos by broadcasting their credentials. I should know, because I used to be like that myself. *self-deprecating chuckle*
27-11-2012, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2012 09:24 AM by Phaedrus.)
His degrees are legit, Duke and LSU, but his physics is shit. He's a proponent of the "There's not enough sodium in the oceans!" argument, which shows his level of intelligence, proving that anyone can get a degree with enough money and tenacity.

Anyway, his starlight hypothesis is that the earth is at the center of the universe and the entire rest of the cosmos are rotating at close to the speed of light or something and so relativistic time effects explain how 6 days can occur on earth, but billions of years can occur on the outer edges of the universe.

No evidence to support it, of course, and a great deal of evidence which contradicts it, not least of which that if the entire rest of the universe were traveling at relativistic speeds its mass would be increased exponentially, which should be easily measurable. It also only works for galaxies *in* that plane of rotation, whereas we observe ancient galaxies in all directions, including ones that would have little angular velocity (and thus little relativistic time compression) which demonstrates that this goon doesn't know the difference between a disk and a sphere. Drinking Beverage

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
27-11-2012, 09:57 AM
(27-11-2012 09:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's called Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe.

Reading it now. I'll let y'all know what I think and the science that is discussed and used.
Save yourself the time. There is no science in that book. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-11-2012, 10:09 AM
That ain't a friend. Tongue

Click the link and see that it's this Humphreys character. Again. Cannot help but think, if there were something to YEC, there'd be more than the usual chuckleheads on it. Consider

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-11-2012, 10:11 AM
(27-11-2012 09:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-11-2012 09:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's called Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe.

Save yourself the time. There is no science in that book. Drinking Beverage
Yep. Only good reading out of it them is so you can analyze to tear apart the arguments in case anyone comes up with any of the stupidity within. YEC annoys the hell out of me since I have so many of them in my family. I get tired of hearing about it.
27-11-2012, 10:40 AM

You act as though a YEC tabloi- book would have science in it. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
27-11-2012, 01:41 PM
(27-11-2012 10:40 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

You act as though a YEC tabloi- book would have science in it. Drinking Beverage
yeah i'm open minded. but entertaining ideas that force you to dump all currently adopted sciences to use confirmation bias, special pleading, or cherry picking is total bullshit.
27-11-2012, 02:58 PM
I was trained a Scientist (Physicist). As a Scientist, this book demonstrates beautifully why I will not - not ever - get into a scientific debate with a Christian Apologist. No matter how good your Science, Reasoning and Empiracal Evidence, the Christian Apologist always finds a way to sling enough Bullshit so that the effort to show them the truth becomes hopeless.

Instead, when arguing with an apologist I call on them to give me a hard demonstration. I call on them to show me a miracle (like heal an amputee), or to conjure Jesus Christ himself, or at least an angel. I remind them that Jesus said that if they have the faith of a Mustard Seed then they can move a mountain by just asking - so I call on them to move a molehill. I tell them I will come to church and pray with them the minute Jesus shows up. Of course, we know Jesus isn't going to show. Last, I tell them it would behoove them to show a miracle or shut their lying mouths. Christians don't like this approach. I don't care. I am tired of listening to their rhetoric, and I won't allow them to spew it without feeling mighty uncomfortable. This shuts a lot of them up.
[+] 2 users Like Julius's post
27-11-2012, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2012 05:17 PM by Bucky Ball.)
It's just another attempt to contort the obvious mistakes made by the pre-scientific writers of the Old Testament with modern scientific observations. Another desperate attempt to maintain the (obviously flawed) "truth" of ancient literature. How sad. What an utter waste of time. Maybe Humphreys should take a course on the Old Testament from a reputable institution.

These "light was created on it way" crap assumes a static universe. In fact, it is expanding. Distant galaxies are receding from Earth more rapidly than nearby galaxies. The motion produces a time dilation effect ("moving clocks run slower") which exactly counterbalances the gravitational time dilation effect so that all clocks in the universe, whether on Earth or on distant galaxies, run at the same rate as the universe expands. There is no (differential) ageing of the "outer parts" of an expanding universe compared with a supposed center. In fact there IS NO CENTER. Humphreys forgot about this, and doesn't do these calculations and screws himself. This is an old book. It has been shown to be false in many places. In fact Bible Science News itself did one of them in 1995. It's just crap, Biblicaly and Astronomically.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post