A funny thing happened at a Trivia Night...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 11:55 PM
A funny thing happened at a Trivia Night...
I attended a Charity Trivia Night on Friday. All of other 7 people at our table are Christians of varying degrees of devoutness. One of the questions was; What is the First Commandment? The 7 others at the table had either blank stares or wild guesses, none of which were correct. I wrote it out in full on a piece of paper and handed it to the person recording our answers who asked if I was sure of this. A couple others said that it couldn't be right and wanted to submit "thou shalt not kill". I just said; "trust me, I'm right". They did. Well, when the answers to that round were given I was the hero. I unfortunately had to keep my reply quiet but I said to my wife, "Not bad for the only atheist the the table eh?" I won't go into the reasons why I couldn't but man did I ever want to say that louder!

We did pretty well. 4th out of 26 tables.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Heathen's post
22-04-2013, 12:52 AM
RE: A funny thing happened at a Trivia Night...
Good job there, it is a good thing it was at a trivia night, i am sure those commandments are completely trivial.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
22-04-2013, 04:10 AM
Ohmy

Don't keep us in suspense!

What was the right answer?

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
22-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Congrats Heathen!

I think it would be interesting to have a real-time Bible trivia competition amongst us. Docskeptic could preside. Everyone would agree on a certain day and time, all would have to swear on the Bible that they would not Google any of the answers while the competition is ungoing and the winner gets...

If X wins they get Y:

Misanthropic - new piercing
Vera - round trip anywhere out of Bulgaria
Muffs - a first floor flat
Girly - personal hug from all of us
Momsurroundedbyboys - one of thise vibrating gizmos
Tartarus Sauce - scratching post
Chas - kayak paddle

I need help filling the rest of this out, suggestions please!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
22-04-2013, 06:14 AM
(22-04-2013 04:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ohmy

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
22-04-2013, 06:24 AM
(22-04-2013 06:02 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Congrats Heathen!

I think it would be interesting to have a real-time Bible trivia competition amongst us. Docskeptic could preside. Everyone would agree on a certain day and time, all would have to swear on the Bible that they would not Google any of the answers while the competition is ungoing and the winner gets...

If X wins they get Y:

Misanthropic - new piercing
Vera - round trip anywhere out of Bulgaria
Muffs - a first floor flat
Girly - personal hug from all of us
Momsurroundedbyboys - one of thise vibrating gizmos
Tartarus Sauce - scratching post
Chas - kayak paddle

I need help filling the rest of this out, suggestions please!

It would be interesting to see which one of us knows most about the bibal.

I'll have fun too.

...Sitting on the sidelines... Having no clue what is going on....

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
22-04-2013, 08:44 AM

You say that as a joke but I was reading with the intent on finding out the correct answer... Dodgy
I would have said thou shall not kill too.
I suppose it's something more conformative (and hence "more important") like "thou shall not question god".

I dunno, I didn't fucking learn that shit.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
22-04-2013, 08:56 AM
(22-04-2013 08:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  

You say that as a joke but I was reading with the intent on finding out the correct answer... Dodgy
I suppose it's something more conformative (and hence "more important") like "thou shall not question god".

I am the Lord thy God, Thou shalt have no other gods before me

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
22-04-2013, 09:08 AM
(22-04-2013 08:56 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 08:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You say that as a joke but I was reading with the intent on finding out the correct answer... Dodgy

I am the Lord thy God, Thou shalt have no other gods before me

For I am a jeleaous God! Among other dispicable things.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
22-04-2013, 10:18 AM
(22-04-2013 09:08 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 08:56 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I am the Lord thy God, Thou shalt have no other gods before me

For I am a jeleaous God! Among other dispicable things.

Indeed also of note it is NOT I am the only god it is Thou shalt have no OTHER gods before me. Thus proving that even Yahweh wasn't a monotheist.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense