A future Pastor and Christian Apologist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 04:56 PM
A future Pastor and Christian Apologist
Greetings Everyone,

I'm a college student who is in the process of earning a BA in pastoral ministry, in preparation to head into the ministry as an assistant pastor. Following my undergraduate studies, I hope to do graduate work at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and Biola University in Theology, Church History, Christian Apologetics, and possibly Science and Religion, whether this leads to doctoral studies is still to be determined.

My purpose in coming to this forum is to resharpen my writing and debating skills as both have grown rusty from lack of use. If someone is influenced by the arguments I present, I will count it an honor and a privilege, but my expectations here are not to convert everybody. I just want to have some civil discussions with people from the opposite side of the spectrum.
For those of you that attended the Reason Rally, I also was in attendance with a group called True Reason. Unlike the "Christians" at the rally who bore signs and got into yelling matches with the atheists at the rally, participants in our group engaged in civil and respectful discussions that was well-received by those we conversed with. I hope to engage in similar discussions here on this forum, and I will strive to show you the same gentleness and respect that I offered to those at the rally.

Feel free to ask me any questions about Christianity. I'm talking many of major classes this year, so I'll need outlet to talk about all this.

Look forward to talking with you all!

-Tom
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TrueReason's post
20-08-2012, 06:19 PM
RE: A future Pastor and Christian Apologist
Good to have you here, Tom. More theists are a plus.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
20-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Howdy Tom. [Image: Tip-Hat.gif]

(20-08-2012 04:56 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  I just want to have some civil discussions with people from the opposite side of the spectrum.

If by "civil" you mean I won't go all ad hominem on your ass or dismiss your propositions out of hand, then we're good to go. Thumbsup If by "civil" you mean I'm not gonna swear like a goddam fucking drunken sailor, then you're shit out of luck.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 15 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-08-2012, 06:30 PM
(20-08-2012 06:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Howdy Tom. [Image: Tip-Hat.gif]

(20-08-2012 04:56 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  I just want to have some civil discussions with people from the opposite side of the spectrum.

If by "civil" you mean I won't go all ad hominem on your ass or dismiss your propositions out of hand, then we're good to go. Thumbsup If by "civil" you mean I'm not gonna swear like a goddam fucking drunken sailor, then you're shit out of luck.

welp

20-08-2012, 06:31 PM
(20-08-2012 06:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Good to have you here, Tom. More theists are a plus.

Or a mixed blessing.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-08-2012, 06:34 PM
(20-08-2012 06:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 06:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Good to have you here, Tom. More theists are a plus.

You're right on that.

Can we please stop agreeing?

20-08-2012, 06:36 PM
(20-08-2012 06:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  

We can change the forum name to The Thinking Atheist and Trying To Sharpen Their Skills Theists, or TTA&TTSTST...eventually we'll need a T&A acronym...

Anyway, welcome, I guess...Drinking Beverage

As if KC wasn't enough, they're multiplying like Catholics...Tongue

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 7 users Like Seasbury's post
20-08-2012, 06:36 PM
(20-08-2012 04:56 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  Greetings Everyone,

I'm a college student who is in the process of earning a BA in pastoral ministry, in preparation to head into the ministry as an assistant pastor. Following my undergraduate studies, I hope to do graduate work at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and Biola University in Theology, Church History, Christian Apologetics, and possibly Science and Religion, whether this leads to doctoral studies is still to be determined.

My purpose in coming to this forum is to resharpen my writing and debating skills as both have grown rusty from lack of use. If someone is influenced by the arguments I present, I will count it an honor and a privilege, but my expectations here are not to convert everybody. I just want to have some civil discussions with people from the opposite side of the spectrum.
For those of you that attended the Reason Rally, I also was in attendance with a group called True Reason. Unlike the "Christians" at the rally who bore signs and got into yelling matches with the atheists at the rally, participants in our group engaged in civil and respectful discussions that was well-received by those we conversed with. I hope to engage in similar discussions here on this forum, and I will strive to show you the same gentleness and respect that I offered to those at the rally.

Feel free to ask me any questions about Christianity. I'm talking many of major classes this year, so I'll need outlet to talk about all this.

Look forward to talking with you all!

-Tom

Welcome, Tom. Don't bother trotting out the old, tired apologies. We've heard them all and countered them all. They are full of holes and illogic.
If you have something new, great, love to hear it.

I am a scientific realist, secular humanist, agnostic atheist, and have no patience for the same crap over and over. I will be civil, but I won't sugarcoat anything.

My first shot over your bow is that I am sorry you are going to waste your life on that crap. If you want to help people, do something useful and constructive.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
20-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Tom - to echo Chas's post, please spend some time going through the older threads to see what has been covered ad naseum...you may be new, but some of us (and that doesn't really even include me) have plowed this ground a hundred times over Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
20-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi Tom,
I have no real history on this forum, so I do not speak for anyone but myself. Many years ago I dropped out of engineering school, enrolled at Asbury College and intended to study for the Methodist ministry. I was unable to transfer immediately and took a semester to self study under the direction of some people already in the field. Since I intended to spend my life trying to convince people that they should follow a particular path, I assumed I should be pretty sure of my own decisions beforehand.

My studies led to changing my mind about my earlier conclusions. I studied mathematics instead of theology and feel I avoided wasting a great deal of my life advocating Christianity as a lifestyle choice.

I'm not really volunteering for sparring but I may reply from time to time. Should you change your mind on career direction, there is at least one person who will understand the transition. I expect there are others.
[+] 3 users Like closet.atheist's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Not a Christian not (yet??) an athiest Roger_the_alien 34 440 03-07-2014 11:08 AM
Last Post: kim
  Why I am not a Christian Slrenno 5 206 19-02-2014 02:56 PM
Last Post: Chas
Heart Greetings from an ex orthodox christian! Nebulæ 29 871 02-11-2013 10:52 AM
Last Post: viocjit
  Former fundamentalist/Pentecostal Christian J_M_Green 20 654 26-10-2013 11:40 AM
  Hi guys. New Christian guy here. kingschosen 14 1,114 25-06-2013 12:09 PM
Last Post: Lightvader
  Viocjit the Agnostic Christian viocjit 20 694 31-05-2013 12:13 PM
  Greeting from a Christian DarthMarth 90 3,232 04-03-2013 01:29 AM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf