A future Pastor and Christian Apologist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Attention: TrueReason
I (and others) have read the Bible and works by Craig and others. I'm sure you have, too.
Do us the courtesy, and yourself the honor, of reading Hitchens, Dawkins, Stenger, Krauss, Dennett, Ehrman, et al.
Until then, we can't really talk usefully because you lack the concepts and vocabulary.

It doesn't count that you read what Craig (or others) say about other authors, you have to read them yourself.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
22-08-2012, 10:35 AM
RE: A future Pastor and Christian Apologist
(22-08-2012 09:45 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Forcing submission isn't what Peter is saying here.

Submission to the husband would be done in joy because the husband understands, cares for, and loves his wife. He wants her to be happy and joyful and all she wants and needs. The husband gives love and understanding in return of respect and submission.

Husbands and wives acting Christ-like have done this for centuries.

Why not just be equal partners. Why go through some ancient rigamarole of trying to set up artificial boundaries and roles?

Because, the roles of the family should be established.

(22-08-2012 09:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Forcing submission isn't what Peter is saying here.

Submission to the husband would be done in joy because the husband understands, cares for, and loves his wife. He wants her to be happy and joyful and all she wants and needs. The husband gives love and understanding in return of respect and submission.

Husbands and wives acting Christ-like have done this for centuries.

And they've beaten, raped, and subjugated for centuries. It's all good.Drinking Beverage

Yes, and that's husbands not loving and cherishing their wives and forcing submission.

(22-08-2012 09:53 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Who wants to set the over/under on how long TR will stay?

Also interested in betting on how the over/under for how many pages this thread will end up with.

Drinking Beverage

I originally had faith that we would stick around at first... but I think the sheer amount of hard questions will fry his circuits.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
22-08-2012, 10:39 AM
(22-08-2012 10:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:45 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Why not just be equal partners. Why go through some ancient rigamarole of trying to set up artificial boundaries and roles?

Because, the roles of the family should be established.

Besides the age-old, "Because the Bible tells me so"...

Why?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
22-08-2012, 10:47 AM
(22-08-2012 10:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 09:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  And they've beaten, raped, and subjugated for centuries. It's all good.Drinking Beverage

Yes, and that's husbands not loving and cherishing their wives and forcing submission.

But submission is commanded.

The roles of the family need to be determined by the ones in the family, not by Bronze Age goat herders.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-08-2012, 10:53 AM
(22-08-2012 10:30 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 10:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Can't we just set up a "protocol" for visiting deists/theists ?
Like kind of automate the procedure ?
Day 1...bla bla bla. sign in and state how they are "unique".
Day 2 ............
Day 3 ............ etc etc.

If they are still here, after they have refuted all the usual stuff, and "agreed" they understand certain basics, then they can be "routed" to a live atheist, and "assigned", if they wish further deprogramming. I for one, am getting really sick of acting as wet-nurse to every nooby questioner who shows up, with not one ounce of knowledge of science/philosophy/theology/scripture/ancient history, especially these wanna-be pastor types who think they're gonna test out their "skills" on us. I mean, I've only been here a year, and how many is this ?
Like a trillion ?

Wow .. Lorenzo is acting strange .. like he wants to get in the car !! I think he WANTS to go surfing !! Finally !! Ha !! See ya.

Now, now Bucky.

You know you love me.

Not you. Dummy. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-08-2012, 10:54 AM
(22-08-2012 10:39 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 10:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because, the roles of the family should be established.

Besides the age-old, "Because the Bible tells me so"...

Why?

I don't know if I want to get into this conversation.

So, I'll just say, "I don't know."

Sorry man... just not really wanting to commit to this.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Interesting read: Ex-pastor

Erx, you might find this interesting if you haven't already seen it.

22-08-2012, 11:19 AM
(22-08-2012 10:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-08-2012 10:39 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Besides the age-old, "Because the Bible tells me so"...

Why?

I don't know if I want to get into this conversation.

So, I'll just say, "I don't know."

Sorry man... just not really wanting to commit to this.

That's what she said. Sadcryface

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
22-08-2012, 11:24 AM
(22-08-2012 11:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  Interesting read: Ex-pastor

Erx, you might find this interesting if you haven't already seen it.

Yeah, Jerry is the man! I got a chance to speak with him at a Dawkins Foundation Lecture in March. Former member Denicio also has talked to him on the phone to see how he can help the Recovering from Religion Foundation and The Clergy Project. I think Jerry was the first one to actually leave the ministry while a part of The Clergy Project. They call him a "graduate." Smile
I'm amazed at how quickly he went from agnostic to atheist to a leader of the "movement." But he really is a dynamic personality and a charismatic speaker, so my amazement is really all that deep as I shouldn't be surprised that a talented man should bounce back so relatively easily.

~Izel
22-08-2012, 11:40 AM
(22-08-2012 10:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Can't we just set up a "protocol" for visiting deists/theists ?
Like kind of automate the procedure ?
Day 1...bla bla bla. sign in and state how they are "unique".
Day 2 ............
Day 3 ............ etc etc.

If they are still here, after they have refuted all the usual stuff, and "agreed" they understand certain basics, then they can be "routed" to a live atheist, and "assigned", if they wish further deprogramming. I for one, am getting really sick of acting as wet-nurse to every nooby questioner who shows up, with not one ounce of knowledge of science/philosophy/theology/scripture/ancient history, especially these wanna-be pastor types who think they're gonna test out their "skills" on us. I mean, I've only been here a year, and how many is this ?
Like a trillion ?

Here's an idea: What if we made this thread a sticky, retitled something like, "Newly arrived theists: Please read." Then when the next TR shows up, we could encourage him or her to examine the thread to see the lay of the land and the kinds of discussions we've had with their cronies. Chances are they'd discover they have nothing new to add to what's already been said--and answered. Might save us a lot of effort and redundancy.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post