A future Pastor and Christian Apologist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 09:20 PM
RE: A future Pastor and Christian Apologist
(20-08-2012 08:11 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Hey dude! Welcome to the forums. Come sit down and have a drink with us.

Thanks! I would if I was 21 Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TrueReason's post
20-08-2012, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2012 09:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-08-2012 09:11 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  I will gladly answer them Big Grin

Do you believe in a postmortem preservation of identity? If so, can you provide a tenable mechanism of action for it?

Thanks,
Bob.

(20-08-2012 09:20 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 08:11 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Hey dude! Welcome to the forums. Come sit down and have a drink with us.

Pffft. Tongue You got no prayer of drinking with Girly and Drew. You ain't never even seen truly drunk.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-08-2012, 09:23 PM
I assure you that if you could present a viable naturalistic explanation for the origin of your god that I would strongly consider leaving atheism. I haven't seen such proof, and thus I remain an atheist.

When looking at the origins of the universe, you're getting further from the truth by adding complexities. If the universe needs a creator, then so does the creator.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Red Celt's post
20-08-2012, 09:26 PM
(20-08-2012 09:20 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  

No sherbet lemons and no drinking until you're 21... (but you can fight and die for your country at 18). Oh America, why hast thou forsaken civility? The sucking and sucking followed by the sherbet explosion... (sadface).
[+] 8 users Like Red Celt's post
20-08-2012, 09:34 PM
(20-08-2012 07:00 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  Not everybody... but what, other than 100%? You're here to proselytise. If an atheist were to turn up to one of your prayer-meetings, with a welcome message that included the admission that they hoped to deconvert some of you (but not everybody)... how would you feel? Would you think that they're being considerate?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. You should be familiar with those words. It is the baseline for a considerate agent.
You shouldn't understand my use of everybody as being numerical. A better word to have used would have been "anybody." Diversity spurs intelligent discussion, and so my goal is to encourage further depth of discussion in these areas.

I find it interesting that you find a prayer meeting to be analogous to an atheist forum...I think a better comparison would be an atheist showing up at an apologetics conference with the goal to deconvert everybody, in which case we would be open to a civil discussion, the same thing I plan on offering you.

If you would like to get a better idea of who I am, you can watch my interview with Ashley Paramore who is the Development Director for the Secular Student Alliance on her youtube page healthyaddict.

http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuvpUwZO_Lc

If you look below the video in the more info, you'll see the link for the interview, or you can just wait for the link in the video itself.
20-08-2012, 09:38 PM
(20-08-2012 09:23 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  \
When looking at the origins of the universe, you're getting further from the truth by adding complexities. If the universe needs a creator, then so does the creator.

How did you come to that conclusion?
20-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Tom

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any questions for you - as others have expressed, we've heard it all before and without any evidence, all the apologist arguments are somewhere between mindless dogma and clever wordplay.

I do pity you for your career choice. Before you are too far gone I suggest that you reach out to the group of clergy who have lost their faith and find out what led them to their new realization. It might save from being trapped in a career you no longer believe in. Good luck.i
[+] 4 users Like Jeff's post
20-08-2012, 09:41 PM
(20-08-2012 09:34 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  You shouldn't understand my use of everybody as being numerical. A better word to have used would have been "anybody." Diversity spurs intelligent discussion, and so my goal is to encourage further depth of discussion in these areas.

I'll repeat it. I wanna know if you believe a postmortem preservation of identity is even conceivable, let alone tenable? And if so, what do you propose as a mechanism of action?

Breathing - it's more art than science.
20-08-2012, 09:41 PM
(20-08-2012 09:38 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 09:23 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  \

How did you come to that conclusion?

When looking at the universe, and all of the wonders that it contains... and concluding that it must have a creator... how wonderful is the creator compared to the universe? If it is more wonderful, then it must also require a creator. So, who created the creator's creator? Ad infinitum.

That is getting further from the truth, not closer to the truth.
[+] 2 users Like Red Celt's post
20-08-2012, 09:49 PM
(20-08-2012 09:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 09:11 PM)TrueReason Wrote:  I will gladly answer them Big Grin

Do you believe in a postmortem preservation of identity? If so, can you provide a tenable mechanism of action for it?

Thanks,
Bob.
You might need to further explain what you mean by tenable mechanism of action, but my belief on the preservation of identity is that our spirits return to God and it is by Him that they are preserved. Another possible explanation would be that God in his infinite capacity of knowledge would thus preserve our identities there. A man is only truly complete and alive when both spirit and body are united.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Not a Christian not (yet??) an athiest Roger_the_alien 34 447 03-07-2014 11:08 AM
Last Post: kim
  Why I am not a Christian Slrenno 5 211 19-02-2014 02:56 PM
Last Post: Chas
Heart Greetings from an ex orthodox christian! Nebulæ 29 877 02-11-2013 10:52 AM
Last Post: viocjit
  Former fundamentalist/Pentecostal Christian J_M_Green 20 660 26-10-2013 11:40 AM
  Hi guys. New Christian guy here. kingschosen 14 1,116 25-06-2013 12:09 PM
Last Post: Lightvader
  Viocjit the Agnostic Christian viocjit 20 698 31-05-2013 12:13 PM
  Greeting from a Christian DarthMarth 90 3,252 04-03-2013 01:29 AM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf