A ghost story (oh boy...)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2013, 09:44 AM
A ghost story (oh boy...)
So there's this co-worker of mine who's always (okay, just frequently) talking about ghosts and shit. Her dad passed away recently and they apparently had an incident with his "ghost" last night.

Her grown daughter has a bunch of magnets on her fridge, okay? So at some point last night, they hear a "whoosh" sound and all the magnets on the fridge fell off... except for one, which held the deceased father/grandfather's obituary.

Clearly this is proof of an afterlife. Rolleyes

You guys got any ghost stories? People always seem to be telling these around here. And then there's the post-discussion they have "He/she's looking down on you" - barf!!!

I'm not trying to be insensitive about this. I mean, clearly she's dealing with the loss of her father (and her daughter with the loss of her grandfather) and I sympathize with that. I just get tired of all the hocus-pocus talk around here...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2013, 09:55 AM
RE: A ghost story (oh boy...)
Magnetism is caused by the alignment of charge in atoms. If you run a magnet along a nail, you can then use the nail to pick up a paper clip; but if you whack the nail, you can actually knock the charge out of alignment, and lose the magnetic properties. Since refrigerators tend to whack themselves, there it is. Smartass

Which also correctly implies that no, I have no ghost stories. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-09-2013, 10:09 AM
I used to have ghosts in my house, but then I kicked them out for not paying rent.

Sorry, no ghost stories here either.

[Image: giphy.gif]
27-09-2013, 10:23 AM
hoc solved the mystery!!! Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
27-09-2013, 10:35 AM
How come ... if there really are ghosts .... how come there aren't more ghosts? I mean, there have been millions and millions of people that have lived on the planet, usually in the same places people live now. Why aren't there millions of ghosts?

Yes, it has to do with being "not saved" or an "unsettled spirit" or some other such vampire type rule. But still, I'm pretty sure there have to be about a million or at the very least thousands of ghosts who should be walking around today, scaring the shit out of people as a disembodied floaty thing.

I want a disembodied floaty thing. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
27-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Ever wonder why there has been so many boogie men? In the beginning it was evil spirits, in the middle ages it was demons, and in the modern era it seems to be aliens. Seems like there is a pattern here..do things reflect our fears of(I hate to say this) the pop-culture of our time? But I do love ghost stories, they are fun when they are meant to entertain but don't you ever tell me that spec of light in a photo is a disembodied spirit or I will smack you!

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
27-09-2013, 11:14 AM
(27-09-2013 10:35 AM)kim Wrote:  How come ... if there really are ghosts .... how come there aren't more ghosts?

A confluence of electrostatic potential excited by cosmic rays and held in place by earth's magnetic field... Which can only happen at certain places and at certain times and most importantly, can only be observed by certain people. Thumbsup

(27-09-2013 10:35 AM)kim Wrote:  I want a disembodied floaty thing. Undecided

Sounds kinky. I'm on my way... Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-09-2013, 11:24 AM
My old Maths teacher asked us to imagine living in a one dimensional world, observing a two dimensional shape passing through it.

What would we see?

A dot, we said.

Then, what would a three dimensional shape passing through a two dimensional world look like?

A line, we said.

Then what would a four dimensional shape passing through a three dimensional world look like?

Dunno, we said.

I dunno either, he said, let's call it a ghost.

Smartass

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
27-09-2013, 12:00 PM
I have always felt ghosts are real.....to the person who seems them. They want to see them. Maybe its a coping mechanism. I've always found it fascinating.
28-09-2013, 06:44 AM
(27-09-2013 11:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My old Maths teacher asked us to imagine living in a one dimensional world, observing a two dimensional shape passing through it.

What would we see?

A dot, we said.

Then, what would a three dimensional shape passing through a two dimensional world look like?

A line, we said.

Then what would a four dimensional shape passing through a three dimensional world look like?

Dunno, we said.

I dunno either, he said, let's call it a ghost.

Smartass

I'd call it life. We are four dimensional beings and the present is the intersection in the three dimensions of space.

We exist for a span of time, but experience only 'now'.

We are the ghosts.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post