A "gotcha" argument for Satan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2015, 02:44 PM
RE: A "gotcha" argument for Satan
(22-04-2015 02:35 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I find objectionable the thought pattern that the Bible authors were scientific illiterates.

The text supports the idea that they were.

Quote:I find smug the concept that we are better than ancestors and that since God didn't see fit to use terms like "relativity" or "gravity over a distance" etc. in the scriptures--because the scriptures have been there for previous generations...

Sad.

Better? No - more knowledgeable.

Quote:I rather find that the Bible, a religious set of texts, contains some scientific accuracies and also prophecies that are compelling and intriguing.

Please provide any clearly stated scientifically accurate facts in the Bible or any prophecies that have clearly been fulfilled.

Weasel-wording and hand-waving will count against you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2015, 03:02 PM
(22-04-2015 02:35 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I find objectionable the thought pattern that the Bible authors were scientific illiterates. I find smug the concept that we are better than ancestors and that since God didn't see fit to use terms like "relativity" or "gravity over a distance" etc. in the scriptures--because the scriptures have been there for previous generations...

Sad.

I rather find that the Bible, a religious set of texts, contains some scientific accuracies and also prophecies that are compelling and intriguing.

Like humans made from dust? Earth made before light and stars? Worldwide floods? Boats that can hold millions of species of animals? Language that was confused by god? A guy resurrecting from the dead?

Here comes your BS interpretations......

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
22-04-2015, 03:41 PM
(22-04-2015 02:35 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I find objectionable the thought pattern that the Bible authors were scientific illiterates.
The scientific method is only a recent development. Satellites, microscopes, electron microscopes, understanding of bacteria and other things invisible to the human eye. Understanding of electricity, magnetism, radiation, atoms, chemistry, quantum physics etc are all modern revelations. It is entirely reasonable to consider that the authors of the bible were scientific illiterates by today's standards.
(22-04-2015 02:35 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I find smug the concept that we are better than ancestors...
We have a higher expectation now with regards to demanding consistency and evidence. We have the capability to discover scientific truths, we have worked out how atoms work, how ionic and covalent bond work? Why water is so special with its hydrogen bonding abilities allowing proteins to fold and hence be the foundation for life. Merely knowing the amount of protons that an element has we can accurately predict what chemical bonds the element is capable of forming, how strong the bond will be, how stable, whether it will exihbit magnetic properties, we understand why offspring have similarities to their parents, we know the mechanism of many diseases.
What the authors may have considered demon possession, we now have medical explanations for.
We no longer accept an explanation because an Authority figure says so, we now expect compelling evidence to back up claims.
If someone tells us about heaven and hell and second death, we ask for evidence. Pointing to a book of parables does not count as evidence, no matter how many times that book asserts its own concepts.
It's not a matter of thinking we are better than our ancestors, its a matter of our expectation of evidence.
(22-04-2015 02:35 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I rather find that the Bible, a religious set of texts, contains some scientific accuracies and also prophecies that are compelling and intriguing.
If the bible contains scientific accuracies that couldn't be reasonably deduced by logical and intelligent humans at the time then that would be intriguing.
I personally don't find vague prophecies very compelling.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
23-04-2015, 10:40 AM
(22-04-2015 03:02 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 02:35 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I find objectionable the thought pattern that the Bible authors were scientific illiterates. I find smug the concept that we are better than ancestors and that since God didn't see fit to use terms like "relativity" or "gravity over a distance" etc. in the scriptures--because the scriptures have been there for previous generations...

Sad.

I rather find that the Bible, a religious set of texts, contains some scientific accuracies and also prophecies that are compelling and intriguing.

Like humans made from dust? Earth made before light and stars? Worldwide floods? Boats that can hold millions of species of animals? Language that was confused by god? A guy resurrecting from the dead?

Yes, there are answers to the other objections raised. But if I were you I'd focus on a better understanding of Jesus's resurrection, first.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
23-04-2015, 10:41 AM
(22-04-2015 02:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  

The text supports the idea that they were.

Quote:I find smug the concept that we are better than ancestors and that since God didn't see fit to use terms like "relativity" or "gravity over a distance" etc. in the scriptures--because the scriptures have been there for previous generations...

Sad.

Quote:I rather find that the Bible, a religious set of texts, contains some scientific accuracies and also prophecies that are compelling and intriguing.

Please provide any clearly stated scientifically accurate facts in the Bible or any prophecies that have clearly been fulfilled.

"Any" facts? You say there are NO scientific facts in the Bible? Really?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
23-04-2015, 10:44 AM
(23-04-2015 10:41 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 02:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  The text supports the idea that they were.

Did I say that? No.

You are so dishonest. Painfully so.

Please provide any clearly stated scientifically accurate facts in the Bible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-04-2015, 12:11 PM
(23-04-2015 10:41 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 02:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  The text supports the idea that they were.

Can you provide any large work of collected texts that you would say... hmm there is no scientific facts in this at all. Are there not scientific facts in Don Quixote? The Bhagavad Gita? Quran? Buddhavacana? They all have some scientific facts as well.

So what? That doesn't create any reason for believe in their contexts that are of other elements. Do they also have some historical AREAs that are true, yes. Does it mean the things happened in the ways and times they describe in those historical areas, not certainly.

Most of these texts have prophecies that are true, based on the same way the Bibles ones are as well. We should just accepted 1 though because we can justify it to ourselves pretty well.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-04-2015, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2015 02:03 PM by TheInquisition.)
(23-04-2015 10:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 03:02 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Like humans made from dust? Earth made before light and stars? Worldwide floods? Boats that can hold millions of species of animals? Language that was confused by god? A guy resurrecting from the dead?

Yes, there are answers to the other objections raised. But if I were you I'd focus on a better understanding of Jesus's resurrection, first.

Awesome, do you have archeological proof of Jesus' resurrection? Or was that a metaphorical resurrection? Perhaps it's you that needs to understand the difference between a biblical claim and actual scientific proof.

Maybe the proof would be at the church with Jesus' foreskin. Laughat

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
24-04-2015, 08:27 AM
(23-04-2015 10:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 10:41 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  "Any" facts? You say there are NO scientific facts in the Bible? Really?

Did I say that? No.

You are so dishonest. Painfully so.

Please provide any clearly stated scientifically accurate facts in the Bible.

You wrote:

Quote:Please provide any clearly stated scientifically accurate facts in the Bible or any prophecies that have clearly been fulfilled.

Are you unaware of which scientific facts are demonstrable and verifiable? Really? Is your answer "none" or "some"? If it's none, you've never studied the Bible at all...

24-04-2015, 08:30 AM
(23-04-2015 02:00 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 10:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Yes, there are answers to the other objections raised. But if I were you I'd focus on a better understanding of Jesus's resurrection, first.

Awesome, do you have archeological proof of Jesus' resurrection? Or was that a metaphorical resurrection? Perhaps it's you that needs to understand the difference between a biblical claim and actual scientific proof.

Maybe the proof would be at the church with Jesus' foreskin. Laughat

A biblical claim should be judged as a textual claim and held to the same standards of evidence we use to give credence to other ancient texts. No more, no less. By the way, did you hear the story--I haven't researched its validity yet--that they found nearby one of the tombs claimed to be Jesus's tomb a metal pin used to hold the closure stone in place sheared through--requiring a force of 9,000 pounds per square inch to cut through it and the surrounding rock? Sounds too good to be true...