A "gotcha" argument for Satan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 08:55 AM
RE: A "gotcha" argument for Satan
(24-04-2015 08:27 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 10:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  Did I say that? No.

You are so dishonest. Painfully so.

Please provide any clearly stated scientifically accurate facts in the Bible.

You wrote:

Quote:Please provide any clearly stated scientifically accurate facts in the Bible or any prophecies that have clearly been fulfilled.

Are you unaware of which scientific facts are demonstrable and verifiable? Really? Is your answer "none" or "some"? If it's none, you've never studied the Bible at all...

Just present the facts and stop avoiding answering the question.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2015, 08:57 AM
(24-04-2015 08:30 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  By the way, did you hear the story--I haven't researched its validity yet--that they found nearby one of the tombs claimed to be Jesus's tomb a metal pin used to hold the closure stone in place sheared through--requiring a force of 9,000 pounds per square inch to cut through it and the surrounding rock? Sounds too good to be true...

Citation required.

27-04-2015, 10:22 AM
(24-04-2015 08:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:27 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You wrote:

Are you unaware of which scientific facts are demonstrable and verifiable? Really? Is your answer "none" or "some"? If it's none, you've never studied the Bible at all...

Just present the facts and stop avoiding answering the question.

Archaeology is a science I have a passing interest in, but archaeology has verified thousands of Bible place names, persons and facts.

Your "show me any!" claim held against the thousands of Bible verified facts in archaeology alone shows you have no place arguing the scriptures with others if you are that ignorant of their content.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
27-04-2015, 10:27 AM
(27-04-2015 10:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  Just present the facts and stop avoiding answering the question.

Archaeology is a science I have a passing interest in, but archaeology has verified thousands of Bible place names, persons and facts.

Your "show me any!" claim held against the thousands of Bible verified facts in archaeology alone shows you have no place arguing the scriptures with others if you are that ignorant of their content.

Place names and persons aren't science; Harry Potter books mention real people and places.

What 'facts' are you referring to?

Really, you are disingenuous and cowardly. Put up or shut up.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Archaeology isn't really classified as a science as it's a branch of Cultural Anthropology types of studies. Because of it's reliance on study through artifacts like pottery and infrastructure of a culture, it is a humanities field.

Again, There are places and people that existed according to external historical documentation in countless other texts that proclaim truth as well like the Quran, Buddhist texts, Don Quixote, etc. Those aren't credences to anything being special or other information being more accurate within those texts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
29-04-2015, 08:34 AM
(27-04-2015 10:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-04-2015 10:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Archaeology is a science I have a passing interest in, but archaeology has verified thousands of Bible place names, persons and facts.

Place names and persons aren't science; Harry Potter books mention real people and places.

First, Harry Potter also includes fictional places and persons. No archaeology has refuted the real places and persons of the Bible. Second, of course we can employ other fields in tandem with archaeology if you still think it isn't a science:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeological_science

The question we are raising must be reframed in context. I'm not claiming the Bible is a science text. I'm claiming it contains evidence that may be researched and confirmed via logic, historical data and etc. to ensure it is reasonable to say the Bible is a reliable text. The fact remains that you doubt the text on two bases:

1. You don't approve of the moral teachings of the Bible and/or find some of its teaching repugnant.

2. You don't approve of the supernatural items mentioned in the Bible, which have been tallied to comprise less than 1% of the text.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
29-04-2015, 08:48 AM
(29-04-2015 08:34 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(27-04-2015 10:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  Place names and persons aren't science; Harry Potter books mention real people and places.

First, Harry Potter also includes fictional places and persons. No archaeology has refuted the real places and persons of the Bible.

The Bible also includes fictional places and persons. No archaeology has refuted the real places and persons in Harry Potter.

Quote:Second, of course we can employ other fields in tandem with archaeology if you still think it isn't a science:

Of course, I never said that archaeology isn't a science. So there's that.
I said that pointing out real places or people in the text is not science.

Quote:The question we are raising must be reframed in context. I'm not claiming the Bible is a science text. I'm claiming it contains evidence that may be researched and confirmed via logic, historical data and etc. to ensure it is reasonable to say the Bible is a reliable text.

What you said was "contains some scientific accuracies and also prophecies that are compelling and intriguing."

You continue to avoid supporting that statement with anything other than generalities and hand-waving.

Quote:
The fact remains that you doubt the text on two bases:

You really need to stop telling people what they think - it is offensive.

Quote:1. You don't approve of the moral teachings of the Bible and/or find some of its teaching repugnant.

That would be because they are repugnant.

Quote:2. You don't approve of the supernatural items mentioned in the Bible, which have been tallied to comprise less than 1% of the text.

Approve? It is about evidence, not approval.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-04-2015, 12:26 PM
(29-04-2015 08:34 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(27-04-2015 10:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  Place names and persons aren't science; Harry Potter books mention real people and places.

First, Harry Potter also includes fictional places and persons. No archaeology has refuted the real places and persons of the Bible. Second, of course we can employ other fields in tandem with archaeology if you still think it isn't a science:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeological_science

The question we are raising must be reframed in context. I'm not claiming the Bible is a science text. I'm claiming it contains evidence that may be researched and confirmed via logic, historical data and etc. to ensure it is reasonable to say the Bible is a reliable text. The fact remains that you doubt the text on two bases:

1. You don't approve of the moral teachings of the Bible and/or find some of its teaching repugnant.

2. You don't approve of the supernatural items mentioned in the Bible, which have been tallied to comprise less than 1% of the text.

There you go being dishonest or idiotic in your attempted comparisons.

Harry Potter never proclaims what it says it true... Bibbbles, Qurans, Buddhists teachings writings, Don Quixote, etc. Do.

These all contain evidence that has been researched and.. wow contain real historical places too! That isn't any credence to anything remarkable about them.

You keep repeating it so it's worth keeping being repeated at you. That's not justification to accept anything is profound about the bible or that it's supernatural #1 is valid. That's using logical fallacies to think because some things are true, more of it may be true.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
29-04-2015, 12:54 PM
(06-03-2015 08:41 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  evangelical

Yuck, no wonder...

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
29-04-2015, 01:12 PM
The Garden of Eden has never once been confirmed to be an actual place.

Q-FAIL