A "gotcha" argument for Satan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2015, 08:36 PM
RE: A "gotcha" argument for Satan
I'm growing weary of the dishonest, side stepping we get from EVERY believer that stops by here to provide his "truth". And that his truth is truer than the wrong truths because he know it to be true because some feels.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2015, 12:12 PM
(29-04-2015 08:36 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I'm growing weary of the dishonest, side stepping we get from EVERY believer that stops by here to provide his "truth". And that his truth is truer than the wrong truths because he know it to be true because some feels.

Do you find I'm side stepping when I affirm that the Bible is a religious text and not a science textbook? Or is it side-stepping to point out that no archaeological findings have ever refuted the Bible but rather vice versa?

David's tomb refutes the skeptics who said there was no King David.

Hezekiah's tunnel refutes the skeptics who said there was no King Hezekiah.

In its heyday, the Code of Hammurabi when first discovered, than dated, refuted the critics who said his near-contemporary, Moses, lived in a time when there was no possibility of documents the size of the pentateuch to have been written.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2015, 02:14 PM
One of the interesting things that I find exceedingly odd about the idea of Satan is that he is eager to send demons into the world to possess people. He would have to be the stupidest supernatural being out there if he thought possessing people was a way to steer people away from God. I would think it would do the exact opposite and drive people towards God if you could ever show a definitive proof that an actual exorcism took place that cast out a real demon. If you could see an 8 year old child speaking fluent hebrew, ancient dialects of greek and aramaic, latin, etc, levitating, etc. etc.

And for those people who believe in such an argument as described in the OP, how many also believe in demonic possession?
[+] 1 user Likes Plan 9 from OS's post
30-04-2015, 02:15 PM
(30-04-2015 12:12 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 08:36 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I'm growing weary of the dishonest, side stepping we get from EVERY believer that stops by here to provide his "truth". And that his truth is truer than the wrong truths because he know it to be true because some feels.

Do you find I'm side stepping when I affirm that the Bible is a religious text and not a science textbook? Or is it side-stepping to point out that no archaeological findings have ever refuted the Bible but rather vice versa?

In its heyday, the Code of Hammurabi when first discovered, than dated, refuted the critics who said his near-contemporary, Moses, lived in a time when there was no possibility of documents the size of the pentateuch to have been written.

It's sidestepping to repeatedly state Archaeological facts as if those are scientific facts... Which has been stated to you repeatedly how they aren't. And you've made no statement to why you would justify they are still, but keep on making the same generic statements.

Skeptics and generally the majority of Religious and Academic minds thought Troy didn't exist. Then they discovered it. That isn't a scientific finding held within the Iliad... That's a cultural discovery.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Q, until you can provide a legitimate reason as to why your translation of scripture is the "right" translation, you are a side stepping, dishonest con artist.

You've brought nothing to the table that hasn't been sent back to the kitchen a million times on this forum alone.
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
30-04-2015, 03:56 PM

Hardly proof.
Wikipedia Wrote:The tomb is located in a corner of a room situated on the ground floor remains of the former Hagia Zion an ancient house of worship; the upper floor of the same building has traditionally been viewed as the Cenacle of Jesus. The site was apparently not viewed as David's Tomb until the 12th century. According to Benjamin of Tudela, writing about 1173, the tomb was discovered during repairs to the church; the motivation for it being declared to be the tomb of David is due to Davids conquest of Mount Zion described in the Book of Samuel.

Quote:Hezekiah's tunnel refutes the skeptics who said there was no King Hezekiah.

Hardly proof.
Wikipedia Wrote:Its popular name is due to the most common hypothesis of its origin, namely that it dates from the reign of Hezekiah of Judah (late 8th and early 7th century BCE) and corresponds to the waterworks mentioned in 2 Kings 20:20 in the Bible.

Quote:In its heyday, the Code of Hammurabi when first discovered, than dated, refuted the critics who said his near-contemporary, Moses, lived in a time when there was no possibility of documents the size of the pentateuch to have been written.

Citation required. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-05-2015, 09:52 AM
(30-04-2015 02:15 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(30-04-2015 12:12 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Do you find I'm side stepping when I affirm that the Bible is a religious text and not a science textbook? Or is it side-stepping to point out that no archaeological findings have ever refuted the Bible but rather vice versa?

It's sidestepping to repeatedly state Archaeological facts as if those are scientific facts... Which has been stated to you repeatedly how they aren't. And you've made no statement to why you would justify they are still, but keep on making the same generic statements.

Skeptics and generally the majority of Religious and Academic minds thought Troy didn't exist. Then they discovered it. That isn't a scientific finding held within the Iliad... That's a cultural discovery.

I'd think I'd pay folding money to have this debate in a university auditorium with archaeology faculty present.

Here's more on how detailed this science may be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeological_science

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
05-05-2015, 09:59 AM
(05-05-2015 09:52 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(30-04-2015 02:15 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's sidestepping to repeatedly state Archaeological facts as if those are scientific facts... Which has been stated to you repeatedly how they aren't. And you've made no statement to why you would justify they are still, but keep on making the same generic statements.

I'd think I'd pay folding money to have this debate in a university auditorium with archaeology faculty present.

Here's more on how detailed this science may be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeological_science

There is debate about it but it generally relies in both.. The UK may classify and fund studies by science. Is that an end all world statement? The world doesn't unify nearly anyone to one category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology

"it can be considered to be both a social science and a humanity,[2] and in the United States, it is thought of as a branch of anthropology,[3] although in Europe, it is viewed as a separate discipline."

social sciences aren't what people refer to when saying, show me science, in something. Unless you think they're just asking show the history or the humanities qualities.

If you're gonna not see your points, which again say nothing about the Bible's correctness because dozens of other texts have cultural statements backed up by archaeological evidence to their words too. That doesn't make them valid in other areas of their texts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-05-2015, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 01:40 PM by TheInquisition.)

Or is it side-stepping to point out that no archaeological findings have ever refuted the Bible but rather vice versa?

The Tower of Babel incident supposedly occurred around 2200 B.C.

The Egyptian pyramids of Giza were built in 2560 B.C. with Egyptian hieroglyphics on them.
So Egyptian language was around before the tower myth occurred.

Sumerian language has been found on tablets dating back to over 3000 B.C.

Two different languages; and many others, before the tower of Babel. Archeological proof that refutes one of the primary myths of the bible.

The Sumerian god Enki confuses the language of men in a much earlier myth than the biblical Tower of Babel myth.

I suppose Enki did this after he warned Ziusudra of a worldwide flood and Ziusudra builds a boat to escape the worldwide deluge.

As far as I'm concerned, Sumerian and Babylonian myth prove that the bible is a collection of plagiarized myths.

Didn't we just do this on the Noah's flood thread? We refuted with evidence every one of your assertions, then you post some weak-ass creationist tripe which didn't provide any evidence to refute the scientific evidence against the flood.

When you finally realize that no one is going to accept your creationist bilge as science, you pretend it's an "uneven playing field" demonstrating you do not understand science or evidence.

[Image: cry-baby-blog.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
06-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Quote:The Tower of Babel incident supposedly occurred around 2200 B.C.

The Egyptian pyramids of Giza were built in 2560 B.C. with Egyptian hieroglyphics on them.
So Egyptian language was around before the tower myth occurred.

Sumerian language has been found on tablets dating back to over 3000 B.C.

Two different languages; and many others, before the tower of Babel. Archeological proof that refutes one of the primary myths of the bible.

The Sumerian god Enki confuses the language of men in a much earlier myth than the biblical Tower of Babel myth.

I suppose Enki did this after he warned Ziusudra of a worldwide flood and Ziusudra builds a boat to escape the worldwide deluge.

As far as I'm concerned, Sumerian and Babylonian myth prove that the bible is a collection of plagiarized myths.

Didn't we just do this on the Noah's flood thread? We refuted with evidence every one of your assertions, then you post some weak-ass creationist tripe which didn't provide any evidence to refute the scientific evidence against the flood.

When you finally realize that no one is going to accept your creationist bilge as science, you pretend it's an "uneven playing field" demonstrating you do not understand science or evidence.

The dating you gave for the Tower of Babel is compelling. Has the original site been discovered and yielded a date or are you just spitballing here?

Unfortunately, I find myself wondering if you would believe the Bible to be true, should the Flood be proven to your satisfaction, Noah's ark discovered, (though I think they must have used the ark remains for firewood for sacrifices and heat) etc.

[Image: tumblr_inline_nkp0nlu_Fd_M1sbcn66.jpg]