A "gotcha" argument for Satan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2015, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 08:43 AM by TheInquisition.)
RE: A "gotcha" argument for Satan
(06-05-2015 08:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
Quote:The Tower of Babel incident supposedly occurred around 2200 B.C.

The Egyptian pyramids of Giza were built in 2560 B.C. with Egyptian hieroglyphics on them.
So Egyptian language was around before the tower myth occurred.

Sumerian language has been found on tablets dating back to over 3000 B.C.

Two different languages; and many others, before the tower of Babel. Archeological proof that refutes one of the primary myths of the bible.

The Sumerian god Enki confuses the language of men in a much earlier myth than the biblical Tower of Babel myth.

I suppose Enki did this after he warned Ziusudra of a worldwide flood and Ziusudra builds a boat to escape the worldwide deluge.

As far as I'm concerned, Sumerian and Babylonian myth prove that the bible is a collection of plagiarized myths.

Didn't we just do this on the Noah's flood thread? We refuted with evidence every one of your assertions, then you post some weak-ass creationist tripe which didn't provide any evidence to refute the scientific evidence against the flood.

When you finally realize that no one is going to accept your creationist bilge as science, you pretend it's an "uneven playing field" demonstrating you do not understand science or evidence.

The dating you gave for the Tower of Babel is compelling. Has the original site been discovered and yielded a date or are you just spitballing here?

Unfortunately, I find myself wondering if you would believe the Bible to be true, should the Flood be proven to your satisfaction, Noah's ark discovered, (though I think they must have used the ark remains for firewood for sacrifices and heat) etc.

[Image: tumblr_inline_nkp0nlu_Fd_M1sbcn66.jpg]

What dating would you accept? Perhaps the Tower of Babel incident would have to occur, maybe, within the timeframe of the Babylonian empire. Consider

Of course the Babylonian empire was around 1894 - 539 BC, the 2200 BC date was from an apologist site, but it looks like they're having timeline problems. Laughat

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2015, 09:40 AM
(05-05-2015 09:52 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'd think I'd pay folding money to have this debate in a university auditorium with archaeology faculty present.

Here's more on how detailed this science may be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeological_science

The thing is this debate has been done. By much smarter men. It many different ways from many diffrent angles. Bill Nye vs Ken Ham for example. Science always come out on top. The reason why? Because Science fights Science. Smart knowledgeable people debate Smart Knowledgeable people. The way they fight each other is threw proof.

You too could enter and win!

Want to prove that your story of nephilim is true. Produce a body! Not obiviously doctor photos. [Image: giants2.jpg]

Then if you some how could pull that off. The next step you would need to show threw geological record that these bodies appeared in the time frame of that you are claiming.

"Oh! But the Scientists don't want that to get out because it will prove the bible is true. Because they want to pull people away from god a closer to the devil."

Prove that also!

So the many cases were this would come into play.

The problem with creation scientist is they don't know how the system works. We take science that has been proven to work and apple it to this person clam. Sometimes it makes i threw sometimes it doesn't.

Lets say a flat earthier (I don't know your stance on this) came in and said "I found proff the world if flat! Hobo I found this 3rd century b.c. Tablet that says the world is flat. They knew more then we do today so this must be true."
A scientist could ether brush him off for his obvious insane rant or take him to a telescope. "look see the planets."
"No, you can see they are flat we're seeing them from the top. You can even look out side see the world around you. It's flat!"
He could then demonstrate the way gravitational pull works, how satellites orbit the earth, we have video footage of the earth from different angles from at different times. From the moon!" Mountain's and mountain's of evidence.
But all the flat earthier would have to do to send all that we know back to the drawing board it come up with one orbital angle. To show that the world was flat.

[Image: ScientificMethodSequencing.gif]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
06-05-2015, 10:59 AM
(06-05-2015 08:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Unfortunately, I find myself wondering if you would believe the Bible to be true, should the Flood be proven to your satisfaction, Noah's ark discovered, (though I think they must have used the ark remains for firewood for sacrifices and heat) etc.

Even if there was overwhelming evidence of a worldwide flood within the time frame that humans existed, it would not prove that the Bible is true. It would merely show that one story in it had some basis in fact.

It wouldn't, for example, prove that the flood wasn't natural, nor would it prove any of the other stories true.

You seem to be getting desperate. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
06-05-2015, 12:02 PM
(06-05-2015 08:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
Quote:The Tower of Babel incident supposedly occurred around 2200 B.C.

The Egyptian pyramids of Giza were built in 2560 B.C. with Egyptian hieroglyphics on them.
So Egyptian language was around before the tower myth occurred.

Sumerian language has been found on tablets dating back to over 3000 B.C.

Two different languages; and many others, before the tower of Babel. Archeological proof that refutes one of the primary myths of the bible.

The Sumerian god Enki confuses the language of men in a much earlier myth than the biblical Tower of Babel myth.

I suppose Enki did this after he warned Ziusudra of a worldwide flood and Ziusudra builds a boat to escape the worldwide deluge.

As far as I'm concerned, Sumerian and Babylonian myth prove that the bible is a collection of plagiarized myths.

Didn't we just do this on the Noah's flood thread? We refuted with evidence every one of your assertions, then you post some weak-ass creationist tripe which didn't provide any evidence to refute the scientific evidence against the flood.

When you finally realize that no one is going to accept your creationist bilge as science, you pretend it's an "uneven playing field" demonstrating you do not understand science or evidence.

The dating you gave for the Tower of Babel is compelling. Has the original site been discovered and yielded a date or are you just spitballing here?

Unfortunately, I find myself wondering if you would believe the Bible to be true, should the Flood be proven to your satisfaction, Noah's ark discovered, (though I think they must have used the ark remains for firewood for sacrifices and heat) etc.

Obviously the Tower of Babel was never discovered. It was just a story to "explain" how languages developed. If you want to see the real root cause for how languages developed from one to many, look no further than the development of the Romance Languages from Latin.

Interesting thing about the Tower of Babel. In the bible, it's a tower to the sky. But let's get real. We have thousands upon thousands of towers like this today. Our technology alone is beyond anything that anyone back then could have imagined. So why wouldn't God have intervened in the world today to stop us from creating GMOs, sequencing DNA, etc. I mean c'mon, being able to manipulate the building blocks of life is WAYYYYYYYY MOOOOOOOOOOOOORE "god-like" behavior than simply building a giant tower.
[+] 2 users Like Plan 9 from OS's post
06-05-2015, 12:04 PM
(06-05-2015 12:02 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 08:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The dating you gave for the Tower of Babel is compelling. Has the original site been discovered and yielded a date or are you just spitballing here?

Obviously the Tower of Babel was never discovered. It was just a story to "explain" how languages developed. If you want to see the real root cause for how languages developed from one to many, look no further than the development of the Romance Languages from Latin.

Interesting thing about the Tower of Babel. In the bible, it's a tower to the sky. But let's get real. We have thousands upon thousands of towers like this today. Our technology alone is beyond anything that anyone back then could have imagined. So why wouldn't God have intervened in the world today to stop us from creating GMOs, sequencing DNA, etc. I mean c'mon, being able to manipulate the building blocks of life is WAYYYYYYYY MOOOOOOOOOOOOORE "god-like" behavior than simply building a giant tower.

Heaven was closer to earth back then... gotchya!

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
06-05-2015, 12:24 PM
(06-05-2015 10:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 08:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Unfortunately, I find myself wondering if you would believe the Bible to be true, should the Flood be proven to your satisfaction, Noah's ark discovered, (though I think they must have used the ark remains for firewood for sacrifices and heat) etc.

Even if there was overwhelming evidence of a worldwide flood within the time frame that humans existed, it would not prove that the Bible is true. It would merely show that one story in it had some basis in fact.

It wouldn't, for example, prove that the flood wasn't natural, nor would it prove any of the other stories true.

You seem to be getting desperate. Drinking Beverage

Very good point Chas, if the worldwide flood had solid evidence for it, I would be more inclined to believe a rational scientific explanation other than a myth-based explanation.

Even if I was inclined to give a myth-based explanation credence, why wouldn't I be wondering about the Sumerian and Babylonian flood myths being true? They predate the Noahtic flood myth by hundreds of years.

Wouldn't those who were closer to the time of the event have better accuracy? That seems to be what we hear all of the time in regards to defending Jesus' existence. Consider

Oh, BTW, Enki the Sumerian god HELPS mankind survive the flood by warning Ziusudra. A far more laudable god IMO.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
06-05-2015, 01:08 PM
(06-05-2015 12:04 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 12:02 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  Obviously the Tower of Babel was never discovered. It was just a story to "explain" how languages developed. If you want to see the real root cause for how languages developed from one to many, look no further than the development of the Romance Languages from Latin.

Heaven was closer to earth back then... gotchya!
That was before God moved outside space & time.

Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
06-05-2015, 01:08 PM
[Image: f26.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
06-05-2015, 02:16 PM
(06-05-2015 01:08 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  [Image: f26.jpg]

This photo of me looks rather like your avatar. We are growing closer!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
06-05-2015, 02:20 PM
(06-05-2015 12:02 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 08:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The dating you gave for the Tower of Babel is compelling. Has the original site been discovered and yielded a date or are you just spitballing here?

1. The tower's construction--and that of the whole city around it--was halted. Please when arguing the Bible with me, actually read it. I try to careful here with you in the same way--but understand most of my Christian friends say things all the time like, "Yeah, atheists argue about the Bible but they neither read it nor comprehend it." Break this illusion for them, if you would...

2. The tower's legacy has been discovered etymologically if you will. Languages have a root ancestry. I'm unaware of language experts who say they languages evolved from multiple root sources but rather, prevailing theory says one root.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.