A "gotcha" argument for Satan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2015, 09:59 AM
RE: A "gotcha" argument for Satan
(21-05-2015 12:36 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(21-05-2015 09:45 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I think you are being short sighted here, and I say that respectfully. EVERY person has a due date on their death with God. YOUR odds of death are like mine, 1:1. Either God murders everyone, which is a possibility if there is a God, or God not only kills everyone but has them live eternally after--elsewhere, which is also a logical possibility when dealing with omnipotence. Be consistent. Obviously, whether you take choice one or two, you aren't with a straight face going to say God murders people via natural causes (old age).

If that is your stance, your glass is half empty, one of the big criticisms Christians have for atheists, although that's not my beef per se. (If atheists are grumpy or bearish on life itself, that would make sense to my way of thinking.) I see someone living until 100 and think, "Gift!" and you think, "Murder!"

No, I wasn't talking about "natural" stuff, you're right, that would be silly (just like thinking death came into the world due to a magical apple). I was talking about the people he has killed either by his direct doing or by proxy. If your god were to just let "nature" run it's course, that would be one thing, but that is not what is taught now is it?

Edit: BTW, where do you find an apologetic where Hell is only temporary?

I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that I teach that when people die before old age that God has killed them? Are you unaware that people kill people?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2015, 11:15 AM
(22-05-2015 09:59 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(21-05-2015 12:36 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  No, I wasn't talking about "natural" stuff, you're right, that would be silly (just like thinking death came into the world due to a magical apple). I was talking about the people he has killed either by his direct doing or by proxy. If your god were to just let "nature" run it's course, that would be one thing, but that is not what is taught now is it?

I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that I teach that when people die before old age that God has killed them? Are you unaware that people kill people?

Pretty sure he's referring to the numerous instances in the Bible where God either directly kills people (the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah) or orders them to be killed (e.g., by ordering the Israelites to commit genocide -- and then having a hissy fit when they don't do so thoroughly enough) -- you know, stuff like that.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
22-05-2015, 10:16 PM
(22-05-2015 09:59 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(21-05-2015 12:36 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  No, I wasn't talking about "natural" stuff, you're right, that would be silly (just like thinking death came into the world due to a magical apple). I was talking about the people he has killed either by his direct doing or by proxy. If your god were to just let "nature" run it's course, that would be one thing, but that is not what is taught now is it?

No, this statement you made:

(20-05-2015 08:32 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Of course, the Christian apologetic is that Hell is a time out for which the Heavenly ones are also protected from the bad bros and sisses.

I have never read an apologetic where hell is even insinuated as a temporary thing. I was addressing two different things. You sort of answered the first one.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user