A "gotcha" argument for Satan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2015, 08:43 AM
RE: A "gotcha" argument for Satan
(05-03-2015 11:03 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(05-03-2015 09:37 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The RCC says in their official doctrines and in any books which have an imprimatur after review by the Index of the Holy See (read: the Inquisition) that Catholic tradition is SUPERIOR to scripture.

Sorry, no. I was a Roman Catholic for many years. I have read the Catholic Catechism. The official doctrine is that Scripture and Tradition have equal authority. Not superior, equal. Your anti-Catholic brainwashing is showing.

Quote:The RCC was absolutely anti-Bible when it persecuted translators for daring to try to bring the Bible into the vernacular, for murdering Bible believers who interpreted the Bible differently, for imprisoning people for merely owning Bibles at home, etc.

They may have done this at some point in the distant past, but not because they were "anti-Bible". The official explanation is that they don't want people coming up with their own wacky interpretations of the Bible -- they require that you accept their wacky interpretation. But some others here have offered an equally plausible reason: they (the Church) know that actually reading the Bible (the whole Bible, not just the parts they cherry-pick for you) is the surest way to lose your faith.

1. Are you also active in religion and religious interface with others? It's not my "non-Catholic bias" it's my time spent reading materials from the RCC with an imprimatur of official doctrinal approval on them and discussing the issues with Catholics. Shocked when I first read it but not any longer--tradition and papal authority above scripture, not co-equal with it. Which would explain many of their perverse doctrines.

2. I hear what you are saying about the fine line between anti-Bible and wanting to hold on to their Bible stances--but I think burning, torturing and killing true Christians is telling of their "stances" and how they are against "my" version of the scriptures!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2015, 12:46 PM
(06-03-2015 08:43 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1. Are you also active in religion and religious interface with others? It's not my "non-Catholic bias" it's my time spent reading materials from the RCC with an imprimatur of official doctrinal approval on them and discussing the issues with Catholics. Shocked when I first read it but not any longer--tradition and papal authority above scripture, not co-equal with it. Which would explain many of their perverse doctrines.

That's not correct. Scripture that contradicts tradition is rejected, but tradition that contradicts scripture is also rejected. The two must co-exist consistently, according to the Catholic church. Neither is superior. At least that's what the doctrine says. (However, in practice, it seems to be a chicken and an egg problem unless they reject both when one contradicts the other.)

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2015, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2015 02:58 PM by Leo.)
(06-03-2015 08:41 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-03-2015 10:23 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  If you are Christian and not Catholic or Eastern Orthodox, you are Protestant. That's what "Protestant" means. I know you're not Catholic. Are you Eastern Orthodox?

I'm not a Protestant 1) I'm not protesting anything 2) I'm what is called non-denominational 3) Protestant denominations have degenerated into little splinters of the RCC and some of the same meaningless rituals and liberal thinking without biblical adherence.

Please look online at Christian kinds or types and learn what nondenominational means--it's actually a statement that we are neither Catholic nor Protestant. You can call me a biblical literalist or evangelical if you like.

Thanks.
Nope you are a Protestant. There are 4 branches or main group of christians. Roman Catholics about 1.2 billion members , Protestants about 700- 800 million members , Eastern orthodox about 300-350 million members and oriental orthodox about 88 million members or believers.
If you aren't a Roman Catholic , Eastern Orthodox or oriental orthodox , then you are a Protestant by default. It doesn't matter you claims about being nondenominational. The protestant term includes all the over 20,000 denominations that exist after the 16 century. It also include the new churches that are invented today and the fancy " nondenominational" movement.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 4 users Like Leo's post
06-03-2015, 02:43 PM
(06-03-2015 08:41 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-03-2015 10:23 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  If you are Christian and not Catholic or Eastern Orthodox, you are Protestant. That's what "Protestant" means. I know you're not Catholic. Are you Eastern Orthodox?

I'm not a Protestant 1) I'm not protesting anything 2) I'm what is called non-denominational 3) Protestant denominations have degenerated into little splinters of the RCC and some of the same meaningless rituals and liberal thinking without biblical adherence.

Please look online at Christian kinds or types and learn what nondenominational means--it's actually a statement that we are neither Catholic nor Protestant. You can call me a biblical literalist or evangelical if you like.

Thanks.

You sure seem to do a lot of protesting against Catholics, and that is precisely where the term "Protestant" comes from. You are a Christian who disagrees with (i.e., "protests") the doctrines of the oldest and largest branch of Christianity. That makes you a Protestant by definition, whether or not you accept the term. You can call yourself whatever you wish. I will continue to call you a Protestant.
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
09-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Wow! For people who are VERY quick to call NTS on me on all occasions, you are now telling me I'm a mainline denominational Protestant when I'm an evangelical Christian (who seeks to distance himself from Protestants who rely on teen birth control and not abstinence, advocate gay clergy and gay marriage, etc.).

This is unappreciated.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
09-03-2015, 02:00 PM
Hi mister Protestant ! What's up?

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
09-03-2015, 02:01 PM
(09-03-2015 01:45 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Wow! For people who are VERY quick to call NTS on me on all occasions, you are now telling me I'm a mainline denominational Protestant when I'm an evangelical Christian (who seeks to distance himself from Protestants who rely on teen birth control and not abstinence, advocate gay clergy and gay marriage, etc.).

This is unappreciated.

No one said that. You continue to make shit up and play the victim.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
09-03-2015, 02:13 PM
(09-03-2015 01:45 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Wow! For people who are VERY quick to call NTS on me on all occasions, you are now telling me I'm a mainline denominational Protestant when I'm an evangelical Christian (who seeks to distance himself from Protestants who rely on teen birth control and not abstinence, advocate gay clergy and gay marriage, etc.).

This is unappreciated.

We could just use the blanket term of bigot, that pretty much sums up your views.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-03-2015, 05:16 PM
(04-03-2015 12:49 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  A statement was made about Satan that was not a biblical statement but a canard, that Satan is now in Hell. According to the Bible, Satan accused Job... while appearing in Heaven.

I will not likely start every refutation with "The Bible says" so if you're unaware that Job is a book and person in the Bible, you likely will perform poorly with standards of proof for biblical truths, too. Sorry.

Q for you, Q. What do you mean by Satan "accusing" Job?

Job 1 (NIV) 8
Quote: Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”

9 “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. 10 “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.”

12 The Lord said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your power, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.”

Then Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

This doesn't seem very accusatory. More like god got played like a fiddle. Unless you have an alternate explanation, which I'd love to hear.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
10-03-2015, 10:50 AM
After this conversation, Satan did some nasty things to Job to say, "Look God, he will curse you!"

Job didn't. Job was a righteous man.