A great day for freedom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2018, 05:44 PM
A great day for freedom
The Berlin Wall has now been down longer than it was up.

"As of today, the #BerlinWall, which divided our continent for decades, has been down for longer than it was up. Let's keep on tearing down walls and fight for a united Europe."

[Image: Capture.jpg]

Love this song (though maybe not today) and this album...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 17 users Like Vera's post
05-02-2018, 10:06 PM
RE: A great day for freedom
The wall came down, and money flooded in! Clap

Hurray for the freedom to be enslaved by money! Tongue

Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
06-02-2018, 05:51 AM

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
06-02-2018, 06:20 AM
Shortly after the Berlin Wall was demolished, some of its bricks were being sold as souvenirs in local department stores. The proceeds were to be used to help rebuild East Berlin. Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
06-02-2018, 06:43 AM
(05-02-2018 10:06 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  The wall came down, and money flooded in! Clap

Well, there are still Cuba, China and North Korea for those who miss the good old times and regimes Drinking Beverage

06-02-2018, 07:39 AM
(06-02-2018 06:43 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(05-02-2018 10:06 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  The wall came down, and money flooded in! Clap

Well, there are still Cuba, China and North Korea for those who miss the good old times and regimes Drinking Beverage

There is also Poland if one want to remind oneself how march '68 looked like.

ETA: Now we have mental wall. Located elsewhere but I'm afraid far more solid than Berlin one.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
06-02-2018, 10:37 AM
I think I was in 5th grade in '69, when my teacher presented a amazing slide show of her recent summer vacation trip to Berlin. It was fascinating!

There were still many, many bombed ruins left from the war and her photographs were wonderfully unsentimental and quite detailed.

One day, the group decided to go from the west to the east part of the city for just a day, to see a few sights. They found out they had to make arrangements in advance so, they opted for a quick tour for the next day. The next morning, they gathered at a place and boarded a special bus.

The bus went to a specific checkpoint gate and stopped. A guy came through and counted everyone and checked their papers while another guy checked under seats. While this was going on, two other people were outside checking under the bus with mirrors. Once cleared, they were allowed to pass through the gate.

The bus wasn't allowed to stop or let people off so, all of her photos of the east side, were out the bus windows. She said that if they'd had permission to stay for a few days as tourists, they would have been given much more freedom. This was only a day trip.

At that time, there wasn't much difference between the photos of east & west, except there seemed to be more people out doing things in the west side.

She also said that on the west side, they were allowed to take photos of the wall itself, like a tourist attraction. There were even a couple of places with scaffolding right up to it, to take photos above and beyond to the other side. Photos of the wall were completely forbidden on the east side.

I recall her saying that a person had been shot trying to get to the west side a few weeks earlier and that was why they took "extra precautions".

As a child of 8, I don't think I really understood much about the whole separation issue. It seemed to be a land dispute but it so intimately involved people. The concept of a group of people belonging to one government, while another group belonged to another ... seems just as absurd to me now, as it may have then.

I'm glad it's gone. However, I think people should be continually reminded how cruel, how wrongheaded and just how fucking stupid their governments can be regarding human lives.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
06-02-2018, 02:13 PM
(06-02-2018 10:37 AM)kim Wrote:  I'm glad it's gone. However, I think people should be continually reminded how cruel, how wrongheaded and just how fucking stupid their governments can be regarding human lives.

Sadly, not just their governments, "man's blind indifference to his fellow man" can be just as cruel. Thought, granted, arbitrarily drawn lines in the sand do exacerbate it...

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
06-02-2018, 02:16 PM
Sadly, there are still people who think that we need to put up more walls.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
06-02-2018, 02:22 PM
(06-02-2018 02:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Sadly, there are still people who think that we need to put up more walls.

People or gibbons? Consider

Though, Peter, Paul and Mary ain't really right. Some walls are a good thing... Plus, in this heat, cold seems particularly appealing, on top of everything else...

Some walls are made of stone
Sometimes we build our own
Some walls stand for years
And some wash away with tears

Some walls
Some walls

Some walls are lined with gold
Where some hearts stay safe and cold
Some walls are made of doubt
Holding in and keeping out

If there's any hope for love at all
Some walls must fall