A great day for freedom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2018, 02:26 PM
RE: A great day for freedom
(06-02-2018 02:22 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-02-2018 02:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Sadly, there are still people who think that we need to put up more walls.

People or gibbons? Consider

People. Dehumanization helps in nothing. Also let's not insults other animals - when it comes to bigotry, hatred and cruelty man reigns supreme.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2018, 02:29 PM
(06-02-2018 02:26 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(06-02-2018 02:22 PM)Vera Wrote:  People or gibbons? Consider

People. Dehumanization helps in nothing. Also let's not insults other animals - when it comes to bigotry, hatred and cruelty man reigns supreme.

Not even the orange, shit kind of gibbon? Consider

ETA: And no, animals are plenty cruel, too. They just lack the reasoning capacity to justify it.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarder├▓."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2018, 02:29 PM
(06-02-2018 02:26 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(06-02-2018 02:22 PM)Vera Wrote:  People or gibbons? Consider

Yes. Comparing Trump to a gibbon is highly insulting to the gibbon.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
06-02-2018, 02:35 PM
(06-02-2018 02:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(06-02-2018 02:26 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  People. Dehumanization helps in nothing. Also let's not insults other animals - when it comes to bigotry, hatred and cruelty man reigns supreme.

Not even the orange, shit kind of gibbon? Consider

ETA: And no, animals are plenty cruel, too. They just lack the reasoning capacity to justify it.

Not even them. Trump while clownish is nothing else than human. Seeing him as less than man can only lead to incorrect conclusion that one is incapable of the same idiocy (it's general point not one about you specifically).

Man tops other animal cruelty - as far as I can tell there was no Holodomor among lions, chimpanzees or elephants.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
06-02-2018, 02:54 PM
One of my favorite museums is the Newseum in Washington D.C. and they have a section of the Berlin Wall on display at it. The side facing from West Berlin had all this graffiti on it (and is popular with tourists for photos, including a certain sandworm below from about 6 years ago), while the East Berlin facing side is marred only with pockmarks that are best not dwelt upon, given what they might be. It's a truly moving exhibit to visit.

That we've entered a time when it's been torn down longer than it was up is amazing. Thank goodness for the miscommunications with G├╝nter Schabowski and the media, helping to set the stage for that night's crossings and the beginning of the wall's fall, as well as the demonstrators in the weeks leading up to it (what was it, something like 10% of East Germany's population?), and the unwillingness of the border guards to fire on their fellow Germans who started tearing away at the structure during the celebrations.

SH in front of a piece of the Berlin Wall:
[Image: yY9vOSl.jpg]

[Image: Wl5ULBR.png]

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
06-02-2018, 03:32 PM

06-02-2018, 04:43 PM
(05-02-2018 05:44 PM)Vera Wrote:  The Berlin Wall has now been down longer than it was up.

"As of today, the #BerlinWall, which divided our continent for decades, has been down for longer than it was up. Let's keep on tearing down walls and fight for a united Europe."

<sigh> Just in time for us to start building a wall on our southern border.

It has occurred to me that I might be able support Trump's wall if he could be persuaded to move it from the southern, to the northern Texas border.

Hey, I can dream . . . Sleepy

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
06-02-2018, 04:59 PM
(06-02-2018 04:43 PM)Dr H Wrote:  <sigh> Just in time for us to start building a wall on our southern border.

I've only seen a small stretch of the border, but I did hike up the Huachucas in Arizona to find a couple of the border markers. A wall? Good luck with that!
This was not one of the markers I climbed up to see, but I salute whatever team got that border marker up there! :
[Image: Fox-Monuments-BM191-23-1020x762.jpg]

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The (4th) Doctor
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
06-02-2018, 05:28 PM
(06-02-2018 06:43 AM)Vera Wrote:  Well, there are still Cuba, China and North Korea for those who miss the good old times and regimes Drinking Beverage

What song could I have used in a joke about Communism, though? Consider

Pigs? Unsure

That's a big maybe. Maybe I just need to work on my comedycraft. Tongue

Fun Fact: Margaret Thatcher actually pleaded with Mikhail Gorbachev to keep the wall up. Worried that a unified Germany would become a threat to European nations, once again. Hobo

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
07-02-2018, 05:13 PM
The more I watch the news, the more I become convinced that we will indeed have a wall between the US and Mexico soon, one that Mexico will pay for... Not because our government actually is functional enough to accomplish such a task, but because Mexico wants to stop all of the stupid Trump-voting gringos from fleeing to their country when we finally realize how screwed we are.
But. The Berlin wall has been down as long as it was up. Damn fine thing to see, among all of the bad news that's in the world.

A Catholic, an Atheist, a Muslim, a Jew, a Hindu, a Baptist, and a Pastafarian all walk into a bar. They chat, drink, laugh, and have a good time. There's no joke to be had. It's what happens when you're not a dick.
[+] 2 users Like Sexy_Jesus's post