A job ad for a christian group

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2012, 11:53 AM
A job ad for a christian group
Now I know I've been an atheist for quite a long while, and never really bought into the whole church thing anyway since I wasn't exposed to it until I was....well in-depth exposed not until I was in fourth grade. However, I just saw this job posting and it annoys the crap out of me, in a sense that I would think that even if I was a believer, it'd annoy the crap out of me--but maybe not.

Some highlights from it (as I see it, bold is my doing to highlight some stuff):
Quote:We have an exciting opportunity available for a Major Gift Fundraiser (known as a Regional Field Director).
This individual will raise money for the support of the ministry of BLI from individuals, churches, selected foundations, and businesses that have capacity to make significant gifts to this work. (A significant gift is one that is at least $5,000 - one time gift or cumulative annually.)
Articulate effectively a “stewardship theology" that ministers to the partner and helps them to recognize and fulfill their role as stewards of God’s resources.

Qualifications:

Must be a Christian, having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Must also agree with our statement of faith and conduct him/herself in a Christ-like manner.
Understanding of fundraising as a stewardship ministry.
Experience working with Christians and churches in the evangelical community.
Possess above average communication, persuasion, listening and presentation skills, understanding that it must be the Holy Spirit who moves the human heart.
Tolerant of varying theological viewpoints, and able to view all believers as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act Section 702, Bible League International has the right to and will only hire candidates who agree with Bible League International's Statement of Faith and profess Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.

The ad in full:
.pdf  Major Gift Fundraiser Bible League International.pdf (Size: 18.42 KB / Downloads: 77)

Now the bold parts I made make me think this, they want a "religious" person who convinces individuals to part with over $5000 a year for the cause, by being able to persuade them to do so--but even with all the experience and education, really it's the holy spirit making the people guilt-tripped into donating.

All while conducting yourself in a christ like manner. Maybe I'm just overly touchy today, but I felt like going to their website, and writing them a note telling them that I find their job posting offensive.

Does anyone else find this ad, I don't know, "odd" or am I just overly touchy today?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2012, 12:19 PM
RE: A job ad for a christian group
Maybe it's your "time of the month"? Y'know... the stressful few days before pay-day.

Allow me to paraphrase the ad.:

Wanted:
Professional beggar.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-07-2012, 03:10 PM
So they want someone to raise money for a religious cause. It makes sense that the person raising that money would be a believer in the cause. I am not bothered one bit as it is within their own organization and has no bearing or impact to me. Just my two cents.
31-07-2012, 03:30 PM
This is a scam organization bilking money from churches and using christians who believe and have excellent persuasion skills to accomplish their goals.
They in turn, want to identify organizations who don't want to donate, to their partners in crime (the PRA) so that company can attempt to get the money.

"Articulate effectively a “stewardship theology" that ministers to the partner and helps them to
recognize and fulfill their role as stewards of God’s resources." - aka - make them realize that the money they have is GOD's money and should be shared.

I applaud their craftiness and guile.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
31-07-2012, 05:25 PM
It's ok to rip people off if you're doing it for god.
There's a long tradition there.
Everyone likes tradition.
The further you go back the more acceptable crazy ideas are.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
31-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Not surprising at all. Someone starts a church to make money and create their own job that is lifelong, tax-free and comes with a built-in positioning of leadership, authority and respect. With a little charisma they can sweep-up a pile of believers like the theists in this forum and get them handing over their money on a regular basis. The more successful ones will need a salesman or sales department, so they'll post the type of advertisement you saw. I don't know specifically what they mean by the "Relationship Cycle" but it's got to be keyed to different ages, stages of life, life events, estate planning etc. Not surprising. Religion is big business.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
31-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Don't forget all the sex with children and being beyond questioning.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
31-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Smacks of religious discrimination to me.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
31-07-2012, 07:26 PM
I know it claims to be an "international" group, but if this job posting is in the USA, it's illegal -- it violates the Equal Opportunity Act because it discriminates against applicants by religion.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
31-07-2012, 07:34 PM
(31-07-2012 07:26 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I know it claims to be an "international" group, but if this job posting is in the USA, it's illegal -- it violates the Equal Opportunity Act because it discriminates against applicants by religion.

No, there is an exception for religious organizations if the job function is religious in nature. This position can be argued to fit that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user