A kind of intolerance.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 09:18 AM
A kind of intolerance.
Last night I watched the video in the thread "in god we trust." If you haven't watched it I suggest you give it a whirl.
Anyway I as I watched I laughed. And I laughed a lot.
Somebody made a comment about how they'd like to see a follow up film interviewing the rapture folk to see where they are in their lives. I agreed that I would also like to see this but that I would only laugh at it.
So this got me thinking. A lot of people get upset at charlatans for ripping folks off. But aren't the victims just suckers who should, in these days of information know better. Whether you are giving $20 to a psychic or your life savings to a church you should know that you are being ripped off. I understand that some folks are sometimes desperate as they may be suffering or dying but that's no reason to resort to magical thinking.
I feel no pity for those that will allow some charlatan to take their money in exchange for magic. People need to educate themselves so they can no longer be victims of woo and magic.
If a person chooses not to learn, that's their own fault. I will cut some slack for those who live in places where the opportunity to learn is nonexistent but there is no excuse for those who live in developed countries unless you were locked away all you life or something.
Is this a cold way to look at things? Yes I think it is but fuck 'em. They made their own beds!
What's your opinion on this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2014, 01:33 PM
RE: A kind of intolerance.
People *are* responsible for themselves...

People who trick other people also bear the blame, most of the blame IMO. I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for them what gets ripped off but I *do* have a large amount of rage towards them what does the ripping.

A friend of mine had an older lady friend who lost her life savings in a Nigerian con artist scam. She was old, a little bit stupid, and alone and this guy took all of her money. Shame, that sucks. Sorry for her. Friend managed to stop her from selling her house and managed to get her into an old age home *but* this guy (or guys) walked away scot free. That makes me rage. Yeah, she was fucking dumb. He was a predator and he did what predators do...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Like the saying goes, when you sell an invisible product, the results don't really matter. Obviously these people getting money from people are low scum of the earth, but to have sympathy for the people spending money on it? I can't get there.

It's like having sympathy for somebody who buys an expensive electronic devices with reviews about it not workings, and expert proving it isn't a good thing, yet still, you fork over the dough anyway. Hard to have sympathy for that.
08-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Not even for the kids?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-02-2014, 05:16 PM
I have sympathy for kids who are being indoctrinated sure. However, the kids usually aren't the ones sending the money.
08-02-2014, 05:17 PM
So you guys believe in choice I see.

I don't. Your actions are predetermined by your genes, chemical make-up and indoctrination.

Religion isn't the only indoctrination, we are all indoctrinated in one way or another.

The lady who fell for the scam was indoctrinated to think that women need men. She desperately clung to the chance to get one.

I have a ton of empathy for her and others who get taken in by bullshit. Indoctrination is a horrible thing, and it happens on all kinds of levels.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-02-2014, 05:22 PM
(08-02-2014 05:16 PM)mrlmichael Wrote:  I have sympathy for kids who are being indoctrinated sure. However, the kids usually aren't the ones sending the money.

And now their parents have no money to provide for them either.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-02-2014, 05:26 PM
(08-02-2014 05:22 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 05:16 PM)mrlmichael Wrote:  I have sympathy for kids who are being indoctrinated sure. However, the kids usually aren't the ones sending the money.

And now their parents have no money to provide for them either.

That is a good point, but again, I feel sympathy for the child, not the parent. Similar to if a parent was to commit a murder, and sentenced to life in prison. I feel sorry for the child who lost their parent at no fault of their own, and now does not have that person to provide for them, but I don't feel sorry for the parent who is in jail, because the bad choice put them where they are.
08-02-2014, 05:36 PM
(08-02-2014 05:26 PM)mrlmichael Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 05:22 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  And now their parents have no money to provide for them either.

That is a good point, but again, I feel sympathy for the child, not the parent. Similar to if a parent was to commit a murder, and sentenced to life in prison. I feel sorry for the child who lost their parent at no fault of their own, and now does not have that person to provide for them, but I don't feel sorry for the parent who is in jail, because the bad choice put them where they are.

agreed, I just find the whole thing way more sad than funny.

~ Umberto Eco