A legitimate question...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2012, 10:13 PM
A legitimate question...
I have knew that people have converted from Athiest to Thiest but what I never know is how or why?? I think it would be interesting if anyone has any good sources on this subject or maybe Judy comment about it. Thanks.Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 01:08 AM
RE: A legitimate question...
uhmm... tricky question, it depends on every person, I doubt there is one explanation for everyone. If there's a category of reasons, I think is doubt, maybe they never been sure about being atheists or they can't disprove god plus some good feeling or religious experience change their views. Other possible explanation is fear, many people say they've found god after a traumatic experience, my best guess is that being close to death or something alike is too much for them to take and that fear made them seek refugee in an all-powerful entity that loves and protects them, no matte how imaginary that entity may be.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
29-02-2012, 01:16 AM
I have seen some whackos on YouTube who claimed they were atheists.. It's just that they believe in things like young earth creationism and the arguments they use shows to me that they never really understood anything. They might have been atheist but decided to believe the first thing they were exposed to.

Makes sense since they weren't interested in understanding their position on things and didn't educate themselves.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
29-02-2012, 01:23 AM
People who are raised atheist are easily converted. Most people in this world feel the need to have a purpose, something more than just a random bumping of sperm and egg to validate their existence. People who turn atheist after being born religious are much harder to convert.
29-02-2012, 01:38 AM
I think the feeling of guilt and doom are deeply rooted OR they are looking for the high that religion can provide- the good euphoric feeling (during praise). Especially when they may be down and out in life or shook up by an event. Those are the two most common I notice.
29-02-2012, 03:05 AM
The ones i know personally were never atheists in the first place. They didn't think about or practice religion for a long time, but it was always there, from early childhood. So, when they were frightened by illness and missionary friends, they declared for the saviour - just in case.

People who made a conscious, rational decision don't usually renege.

Of course, they can both lie, for various reasons.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
29-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Being an atheist does not necessarily mean that you are a skeptic. People become atheists for all kinds of reasons. Some people declare themselves as atheists because going to church is boring. Others because they are gay so they have been shamefully expelled from their churches and their atheism is a form of "fuck you too". Some are rebellious teenagers and others saw a cool video made by an atheist, it made sense so they followed blindly without connecting the dots themselves.

In all these cases and more, there is a high chance for them to go Pascal's wager and slide right back into religion. Sometimes right back, other times into something more moderate or more extremist. Many old people run back to church because death suddenly becomes very real for them and they can't deal with it.

Then there is that small percentage of assholes like Kirk Cameron who claim that they used to be "devout atheists". In his case and a few others, I strongly suspect that he is still an atheist, but he uses religion as a get rich quick scheme. It certainly explains why he is so full of shit and why he keeps asking the same retarded questions even after they have been answered to him completely countless times.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
29-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Perhaps it's because you've always had some lofty dream or goal that went unfulfilled.
Say, for example, you wanted to be a great and famous actor, and it turns out your only claim to fame was a cheesy, crappy 80's sit-com, you might turn to religion.

Hmmm, come to think of it, that reason might be exclusive to Kirk Cameron, but I'm not sure..... Tongue

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
29-02-2012, 10:03 AM
I find it ironic now, that when I was a Christian (born and raised), I was always a little shocked that an adult would convert. It was a pretty rare occasion that someone with NO religious background would accept the Christian message. Usually the testimony they gave was that they had lived a terrible life of drugs, sex, rock-n-roll, and baby-eating, but they read the Gideon Bible one night in a seedy motel and God rocked their lives in a way no drug ever did.

The double advantage to these stories is it also provided a Public Service Announcement on the evils of drugs, sex, and rock-n-roll.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
29-02-2012, 10:35 AM
um....every Theist was once an Atheist. We were all ignorant of religion once.

Not everyone was once rational or reasonable.
[+] 2 users Like Godless's post