A legitimate question...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2012, 05:55 PM
RE: A legitimate question...
(29-02-2012 06:35 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Being an atheist does not necessarily mean that you are a skeptic. People become atheists for all kinds of reasons. Some people declare themselves as atheists because going to church is boring. Others because they are gay so they have been shamefully expelled from their churches and their atheism is a form of "fuck you too". Some are rebellious teenagers and others saw a cool video made by an atheist, it made sense so they followed blindly without connecting the dots themselves.

I hate to say it but sadly I'm one of those people that just "watched a cool video and never really connected the dots on my own". I actualy did not have a strong religious background, I was brought up in religion but we rarely went to church, and never played all the rules but my parents are defiantly strong Christans because of what they grew up in. The thing is, I want to know, I want to connect the dot. I never found religion to have good answers for everything even when they said they did.

Today I feel like religion served no purpose in my life so I ran away from it through the YouTube videos that I saw that gave me the information that I was hungery to hear, but thats another thing, what if I'm only listening to what I want to hear? I want to know the answers without being diseved and lied to. But surprisingly main problem is that idk what to ask exactly because I was never really deep in my religion in the past. I'm also a teen if you don't know, so its really hard on me when ever my parents bring up religion and an argument starts and It normaly doesn't go well because they never seem to think I have a strong enough argument so I feel bad and slitly depressed at the end of the argument. We just had an arguement last night and I still feel slightly depressed but I'm pulling through quickly.

It just seems so hard sometimes. My dad keeps telling me to make sure not to beleive everything you see or hear which is obvious if u have enough common sense but it gets me thinking how do I know forsure that what I'm hearing or reading isn't BS?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 06:36 PM by craniumonempty.)
(29-02-2012 05:55 PM)Luke_Atheist Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 06:35 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Being an atheist does not necessarily mean that you are a skeptic. People become atheists for all kinds of reasons. Some people declare themselves as atheists because going to church is boring. Others because they are gay so they have been shamefully expelled from their churches and their atheism is a form of "fuck you too". Some are rebellious teenagers and others saw a cool video made by an atheist, it made sense so they followed blindly without connecting the dots themselves.

I hate to say it but sadly I'm one of those people that just "watched a cool video and never really connected the dots on my own". I actualy did not have a strong religious background, I was brought up in religion but we rarely went to church, and never played all the rules but my parents are defiantly strong Christans because of what they grew up in. The thing is, I want to know, I want to connect the dot. I never found religion to have good answers for everything even when they said they did.

Today I feel like religion served no purpose in my life so I ran away from it through the YouTube videos that I saw that gave me the information that I was hungery to hear, but thats another thing, what if I'm only listening to what I want to hear? I want to know the answers without being diseved and lied to. But surprisingly main problem is that idk what to ask exactly because I was never really deep in my religion in the past. I'm also a teen if you don't know, so its really hard on me when ever my parents bring up religion and an argument starts and It normaly doesn't go well because they never seem to think I have a strong enough argument so I feel bad and slitly depressed at the end of the argument. We just had an arguement last night and I still feel slightly depressed but I'm pulling through quickly.

It just seems so hard sometimes. My dad keeps telling me to make sure not to beleive everything you see or hear which is obvious if u have enough common sense but it gets me thinking how do I know forsure that what I'm hearing or reading isn't BS?

You don't know for certain... of anything. That is the beauty of science as far as empirical goes. Much of what science claims you can test yourself. A lot of it takes time and effort. You don't have to take anyone's word for anything. If it doesn't sound real, test it. Check it out yourself. When you know how science works and you know that it's wrong, but it's the closest to right you can get ( see The Relativity of Wrong ) then you can try to find what is more correct.

Now here is the tricky part, science is not atheism or vise versa. When it comes to untestable claims you can go into philosophy and study the why science doesn't accept them, but you have to determine that on your own. It's good to talk it over with others too though.

... as far as why people turn back, if you listen to the recent podcast of TTA, there is a girl talking about her current boyfriend. I'm guessing he will have a high probability of returning to religion. He converted to be with a girl instead of doing what he found to be true. If he really was heading in that direction he might have a chance, but I'm guessing not.

.. as far as "common sense", you might want to take a look at Common Sense Is Worthless in Science when talking about it with how you look at science.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
29-02-2012, 08:30 PM
You don't become or convert to being an atheist, you discover that you are.
No atheist then becomes a theist.

Christians making the atheist to theist conversion claim are intentionally misrepresenting the truth for the purpose of bolstering their theist claim.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
29-02-2012, 09:13 PM
(29-02-2012 08:30 PM)Thomas Wrote:  You don't become or convert to being an atheist, you discover that you are.

Christians making the atheist to theist conversion claim are intentionally misrepresenting the truth for the purpose of bolstering their theist claim.

I beg to differ...

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
29-02-2012, 10:57 PM
(29-02-2012 09:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 08:30 PM)Thomas Wrote:  You don't become or convert to being an atheist, you discover that you are.

I beg to differ...

what is your argument against that Kingschosen?
01-03-2012, 03:44 AM
(29-02-2012 10:57 PM)Luke_Atheist Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 09:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

I beg to differ...

what is your argument against that Kingschosen?

He doesn't have one. He had a divine revelation that he admits to himself that it is most illogical and he refuses to ever describe it or talk about it. He claims it was not his choice, that he was compelled to become religious. He trusts his feelings more than his reason and he strongly believes that there is no free will. Everything ranging from dog farts to the discovery of the A-bomb is carefully and continuously controlled by god and we are nothing but god's finger puppets in a play that he plays by himself for himself.

But good news everyone: Kingschosen is one of the few chosen by god (for no good reason, just on a whim) so, again, for no reason whatsoever, he (Kingschosen) will live forever in bliss (unlike the rest of us).

I don't think I am misrepresenting his view. It took me quite a while and long conversations to get to these conclusions. I just thought I'd save you some time.

KC, I swear, I have no wish to harass you. Your god is being and asshole again and he made me say all these things.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
01-03-2012, 05:16 PM

First of all, what's the difference between converting and "discovering who you are?"

Secondly, I don't think it's true that no atheists convert to theism. After all, everyone is an atheist at birth and someone had to be the first theist. Tongue