A lesser Atheist..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2013, 08:38 AM
A lesser Atheist..
In the heat of the moment, someone I'm very close to who is also an Atheist, inferred that I was somehow a lesser Atheist due to the fact that I have never fully adopted a religion in my life. I'm grateful that I haven't gone through the same experiences that a lot of Atheists have with having to leave a religion but I don't feel that my acceptance of Atheism as something other than just my default position was any less liberating or enlightening. I have had to deal with the loss of friends and family as a result of outing myself, just has many deconverters have.

My parents were quiet about their beliefs. I was never forced to go to church. As a child I went to two separate churches briefly, primarily to socialize. I got my Awanas card, memorized passages and honestly couldn't have cared less about the program. I dismissed all the teachings right away because, even as a 10 year old, it all seemed very silly to me. As a teen I thought about god a lot, what it might be, if it could be real. The closest I ever got to believing in anything of the sort would have been a mild case of pantheism. By 18 I was "non-religious" and by 20 I was using the label "Atheist". At 23 I was starting a local Atheist group.

Does this make me a "lesser " Atheist? Have anyone here experienced a similar path?

-A
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2013, 09:05 AM
RE: A lesser Atheist..
Sounds like a load of bull. An atheist is an atheist. I suppose people like adding levels of atheism which I really don't understand why.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
15-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I've been an atheist my entire life. Lesser atheist... pfft... your pal just sounds like a moany prick. They are probably just jealous. Wink

[Image: opforum1.png]
15-10-2013, 09:09 AM
If you don't believe in god/gods you are atheist, nothing more to it. There's no need to be a martyr to be a "real" atheist.
So,no, it doesn't make you a "lesser" atheist.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
15-10-2013, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2013 09:13 AM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
(15-10-2013 08:38 AM)Yveylise Wrote:  In the heat of the moment, someone I'm very close to who is also an Atheist, inferred that I was somehow a lesser Atheist due to the fact that I have never fully adopted a religion in my life. I'm grateful that I haven't gone through the same experiences that a lot of Atheists have with having to leave a religion but I don't feel that my acceptance of Atheism as something other than just my default position was any less liberating or enlightening. I have had to deal with the loss of friends and family as a result of outing myself, just has many deconverters have.

My parents were quiet about their beliefs. I was never forced to go to church. As a child I went to two separate churches briefly, primarily to socialize. I got my Awanas card, memorized passages and honestly couldn't have cared less about the program. I dismissed all the teachings right away because, even as a 10 year old, it all seemed very silly to me. As a teen I thought about god a lot, what it might be, if it could be real. The closest I ever got to believing in anything of the sort would have been a mild case of pantheism. By 18 I was "non-religious" and by 20 I was using the label "Atheist". At 23 I was starting a local Atheist group.

Does this make me a "lesser " Atheist? Have anyone here experienced a similar path?

-A

I have never been religious. No horredous stories of relgious abuse. I do not think that makes me less of an Atheist. Welcome aboard, perhaps one of my favorite quotes from Hunter S. Thompson would help here. "Take no guff from these swine" Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
15-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Imma prophet. Y'all lesser atheists. Evil_monster

One thing, though. Don't capitalize the "a." Theists do it. Makes you look - lesser. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2013, 09:27 AM
(15-10-2013 08:38 AM)Yveylise Wrote:  ...
Have anyone here experienced a similar path?

Very similar indeed.

It's the same argument as ...
You can't be a 'great' artiste unless you have suffered.

It reminded me of the Britpop wars a few years back with Oasis claiming that Blur aren't real musicians because they went to art school (rather than, presumably, no school and working the mines from the age of four).
Or words to that effect.

It's a childish stance regarding 'cred'.

But it's also an insult because you are (and your contribution is) being devalued.

Ask your friend what kind of atheists he/she would like see in 100 years from now... those who just are atheists or those who are still having to struggle against tyranny and bigotry?

You, my friend, are the future that your friend surely wishes for.

Irony? Yes

15-10-2013, 09:29 AM
It sounds like the person calling you a "lesser atheist" has some insecurities to deal with. Why else call you "lesser" except to feel they they are in some way "greater"? The only degrees of atheism are gnostic and agnostic. Neither have anything to do with prior religious background.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
15-10-2013, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2013 09:50 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Not "lesser" ....... "Latter day".
It's all good.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
15-10-2013, 09:38 AM
While it may be true that it takes the indoctrinated a lot more work and effort to break themselves free and they may continue to pay the cost of their indoctrination for much of their life, that suffering in no way lessons how awesome your parents were - and the ease in which you were able to find the same path speaks volumes about their character.

Since we aren't christians, we don't believe in punishing children for the acts of their parents. Tell him to quit being so fucking christian.

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.