A lesser Atheist..
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2013, 10:35 AM
RE: A lesser Atheist..
I never been with a girl in my life, does that makes me less gay?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2013, 12:51 PM
RE: A lesser Atheist..
(15-10-2013 08:38 AM)Yveylise Wrote:  In the heat of the moment, someone I'm very close to who is also an Atheist, inferred that I was somehow a lesser Atheist due to the fact that I have never fully adopted a religion in my life.
Does this make me a "lesser " Atheist? Have anyone here experienced a similar path?

Your friend is being weird. You either believe in one or more gods, or you don't. If you do, you are a theist, and if you don't, you are an atheist. Anything else is over-defining the term.

That being said, people do split atheism into different distinctions for various reasons. For example, you can be strong/gnostic (you believe there are no gods) or weak/agnostic (you lack the belief in gods, likely due to lack of evidence, but don't assert there are none). You can be implicit (you don't believe in any gods due to a lack of knowledge of them, such in the case of young children) or explicit (you are aware of the belief in gods and you do not believe). There are other ways to split this as well, however, I have never heard any reference to "lesser" atheism.

While I can somewhat understand your friend making a bit of a distinction between an ex-theist and an atheist who never believed, I do not feel the term "lesser" is particularly descriptive.

As for my own specific experiences, I was raised Christian, and stopped believing after about 30 years or so. Most people I know that are atheist were also raised Christian, but that's mostly based on where I grew up (and, of course, anecdotal).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply