A light venting - workplace proselytizing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Smile A light venting - workplace proselytizing
Soooo I'm new here, but it seemed like a better place than the workplace to vent on a CRA Title VII violation... go figure. Smile

My coworker ever-so-thoughtfully started sending out daily bible verses after surviving his quad-bypass OHS back in December. I created a nice, simple email filter and that was that... until he started fiddling with the subject lines of his emails a couple weeks ago. I briefly considered a complaint, then remembered I'm the only person on the email list who's not a self-professed Christian. And since I do, in fact, have aspirations of promotions and managing some of the people on the email list in the future, I decided to keep my mouth shut (again) and just share with all you lovely people. Oh, the joys of workplace politics.

Today I got this gem with my coworker's very own interpretation of the Gospel:

Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:33 AM
Subject: Matthew 12:30

Matt. 12:30 says whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

It is impossible to be neutral about Christ. Anyone who is not actively following him has chosen to reject him. Any person who tries to remain neutral in the struggle of good against evil is choosing to be separated from God, who alone is good. To refuse to follow Christ is to choose to be on Satan's team. Have a great day
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Icextentialist's post
10-05-2016, 11:14 AM
RE: A light venting - workplace proselytizing
Welcome to TTA.
That's a tricky spot to be in. I'm reasonably sure there is a company policy against this, but it hasn't been enforced because no one has complained.
Is there any way you could make a complaint anonymously?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
10-05-2016, 11:15 AM
(10-05-2016 11:02 AM)Icextentialist Wrote:  Soooo I'm new here, but it seemed like a better place than the workplace to vent on a CRA Title VII violation... go figure. Smile

My coworker ever-so-thoughtfully started sending out daily bible verses after surviving his quad-bypass OHS back in December. I created a nice, simple email filter and that was that... until he started fiddling with the subject lines of his emails a couple weeks ago. I briefly considered a complaint, then remembered I'm the only person on the email list who's not a self-professed Christian. And since I do, in fact, have aspirations of promotions and managing some of the people on the email list in the future, I decided to keep my mouth shut (again) and just share with all you lovely people. Oh, the joys of workplace politics.

Matt. 12:30 says whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

It is impossible to be neutral about Christ. Anyone who is not actively following him has chosen to reject him. Any person who tries to remain neutral in the struggle of good against evil is choosing to be separated from God, who alone is good. To refuse to follow Christ is to choose to be on Satan's team. Have a great day

Wow. You should say something to HR. I know this is a touchy subject because your co-worker is coping with his own mortality, but this is really inappropriate.

If you don't say something, you might become passive aggressive (I would) and the fall out from that may damage your chances of a promotion even more than just nipping this in the bud and hurting his feelings.

But if you decide to go the passive aggressive route, we'll be more than happy to fuel your rage with witty comebacks to put in your reply emails. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
10-05-2016, 11:22 AM
Keep all such emails.... Same for any tracts.....

At some point - if it gets to be a really bad issue -- get a lawyer.

You might just end up owning the place...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
10-05-2016, 11:23 AM
(10-05-2016 11:15 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Wow. You should say something to HR. I know this is a touchy subject because your co-worker is coping with his own mortality, but this is really inappropriate.

If you don't say something, you might become passive aggressive (I would) and the fall out from that may damage your chances of a promotion even more than just nipping this in the bud and hurting his feelings.

But if you decide to go the passive aggressive route, we'll be more than happy to fuel your rage with witty comebacks to put in your reply emails. Tongue

I'm lucky enough in my job to work from home 100% of the time, so I don't really interact directly with this coworker. He lives in Heartland, Texas while I live in Bumblefuck, Pennsylvania. I think I'll be okay in the long run. For the most part, it's just amazing to me that in this age there are still people who think these daily verses are appropriate in the workplace and I couldn't think of anywhere else (offhand) that would appreciate this post. Gotta get my rant on.
10-05-2016, 11:37 AM
(10-05-2016 11:14 AM)pablo Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.
That's a tricky spot to be in. I'm reasonably sure there is a company policy against this, but it hasn't been enforced because no one has complained.
I'm the only person on the email recipient list who isn't a self-professed, God-fearing Christian. Coworker is relatively intelligent and a gossip. I don't need the troubles the stigma would introduce, so I chose to share via this forum instead. I recognize the apparent harassment, but when I weigh my options, I keep coming down on the "just deal with it for now" side of the argument in my head. Even so, it feels good to just share something this ridiculous with a group. I'm sure my wife will appreciate it if I don't start ranting when she gets back from her long commute today. She already heard this rant back in December. Wink

Sent forth from the icy depths of my soul
10-05-2016, 11:41 AM
(10-05-2016 11:37 AM)Icextentialist Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 11:14 AM)pablo Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.
I'm the only person on the email recipient list who isn't a self-professed, God-fearing Christian. Coworker is relatively intelligent and a gossip. I don't need the troubles the stigma would introduce, so I chose to share via this forum instead. I recognize the apparent harassment, but when I weigh my options, I keep coming down on the "just deal with it for now" side of the argument in my head. Even so, it feels good to just share something this ridiculous with a group. I'm sure my wife will appreciate it if I don't start ranting when she gets back from her long commute today. She already heard this rant back in December. Wink

Keep coming back and letting off steam here. Thumbsup
10-05-2016, 11:50 AM
(10-05-2016 11:02 AM)Icextentialist Wrote:  ---
---

reply:

Hi ___________,
This email seems appropriate to reply to. I've been wanting to let you know I do not actively follow anyone. Please remove me from your email list when sending out religious material. I'd rather not involve management.
Thanks,
_________

The guy seems harmless. He's just excited that medical science could keep him alive when he may well have died. Never the less, he is invading your personal space with the religious literature and needs to be told. Just be super polite and understanding but firm.

Good luck. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-05-2016, 11:50 AM
(10-05-2016 11:41 AM)pablo Wrote:  Keep coming back and letting off steam here. Thumbsup

For sure. On the bright side, most of the devout on the email list are a good 30-40 years older than me. With any luck they'll retire soon and we'll backfill with recent college grads. Already had 3 retirements in the past year!

10-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Create an anonymous outside email address and send the more fucked up bible verses to all the same people... obviously including yourself
[+] 4 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post