A light venting - workplace proselytizing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2016, 12:29 PM
RE: A light venting - workplace proselytizing
Many companies have a HR anonymous hotline where you can report issues that you don't want to address in person.

I've had this issue at work but I took that person aside and expressly asked they not send me anything not work related. I told them I was raised to respect others pov and never discuss religoin, sex or politics in the workplace and I hold that position firmly. No paper trail just my words offered privately.

Worked well for me on several occassions. To each their own though and your sitch may be different.

Welcome to the fo. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
10-05-2016, 12:43 PM
(10-05-2016 12:14 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Create an anonymous outside email address and send the more fucked up bible verses to all the same people... obviously including yourself

You have an evil, twisted mind.

I approve.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
10-05-2016, 12:53 PM
I just say, "Please stop, these are very distracting, and I for one, have a lot to do. If you don't , I'm sure they can find you more to do."

Don't make it about the Bible.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Is proselytizing at work like that even legal?
10-05-2016, 03:18 PM
(10-05-2016 03:01 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Is proselytizing at work like that even legal?
No. Correct me if I'm citing this out of context, but I think it's a prohibited action via interpretation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII.

Sent forth from the icy depths of my soul
10-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Legal no, but hard to do much about in many places.

You shouldn't have to put up with this but maybe it's your best option. Only you know the details. On the down side, the resentment that this is causing is going to feed back into every aspect of your life. You've already mentioned that it's getting on your wife's nerves.

You make it sound like this guy is a pretty decent in most other respects. Simply drop him a note asking him to remove you from any further religious messages. Keeping it between the two of you avoids escalation. HR shouldn't be invoked unless he acts like a fool about it. Keep copies of everything. BCC your outgoing messages to a private account.

If he doesn't stop tracting you after the first couple of requests then ask HR to ask him. Let them know that you don't want to make a fuss, you'd just like the tracts to stop arriving in your inbox. It shouldn't come to this but you never know.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
10-05-2016, 06:16 PM
(10-05-2016 06:11 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Legal no, but hard to do much about in many places.

You shouldn't have to put up with this but maybe it's your best option. Only you know the details. On the down side, the resentment that this is causing is going to feed back into every aspect of your life. You've already mentioned that it's getting on your wife's nerves.

You make it sound like this guy is a pretty decent in most other respects. Simply drop him a note asking him to remove you from any further messages. Keeping it between the two of you avoids escalation. HR shouldn't be invoked unless he acts like a fool about it. Keep copies of everything. BCC your outgoing messages to a private account.

If he doesn't stop tracting you after the first couple of requests then ask HR to ask him. Let them know that you don't want to make a fuss, you'd just like the tracts to stop arriving in your inbox. It shouldn't come to this but you never know.
Oh, sorry for not communicating this better: it's not this specific situation getting on the wife's nerves. It's my lack of an outlet for my anti-religious sentiment that's getting on her nerves. Mostly because she has a long commute and would rather a drink or a trail run at the end of the day than a ranting husband who recently found TTA podcast. Hehe. xD

Sent forth from the icy depths of my soul