A list of gods the bible forget to leave out mention of in the old testament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2015, 11:07 PM
RE: A list of gods the bible forget to leave out mention of in the old testament
Judaism didn't become "strictly" monotheist until after the Exile.
https://books.google.com/books?id=n0v0NB...sm&f=false
In fact it coincided with the rise of the concept of "individualism" after the old family lines were disrupted around the time of the Exile. When *individualism* arose, monolatery and monotheism became more important, as an "organic evolution". Second Isaiah tried to insist on one god, which was a departure from prior thought.
When Hebrew family lines were seen as the anchor and basis for social ties and structure, a family of gods would be an acceptable corollary. When *individualism* arose, an individual deity would become important.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-12-2015, 11:07 PM
RE: A list of gods the bible forget to leave out mention of in the old testament
(30-12-2015 10:41 PM)Fireball Wrote:  OK, I'm with you on this- the first commandment of the buy-bull says

"I am the LORD thy God, Thou shalt have no other gods before me". How the fuck is xtianity considered to be a monotheistic religion, when the existence of other gods is mentioned? Come on, xtian lurkers, give us some remote semblance of an explanation for this. Angel

My SIL would say money and vanity would be gods. Of course she's bat-shit crazy.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2016, 10:31 AM
(30-12-2015 11:07 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 10:41 PM)Fireball Wrote:  OK, I'm with you on this- the first commandment of the buy-bull says

"I am the LORD thy God, Thou shalt have no other gods before me". How the fuck is xtianity considered to be a monotheistic religion, when the existence of other gods is mentioned? Come on, xtian lurkers, give us some remote semblance of an explanation for this. Angel

My SIL would say money and vanity would be gods. Of course she's bat-shit crazy.

At least money and vanity exist or can at least be observed.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
04-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Don't forget Chemosh, in 2 Kings Chapter 3, after Mesha, the king of the Moabites, is losing a battle with the Israelites, (A battle that was supposed to be won according to the prophet Elisha) Mesha sacrifices his son to Chemosh, Chemosh' wrath goes against the armies of Judah and Israel and they flee from the battle!

Chemosh-1
YHWH-0

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
04-01-2016, 11:22 PM
(04-01-2016 11:31 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Don't forget Chemosh, in 2 Kings Chapter 3, after Mesha, the king of the Moabites, is losing a battle with the Israelites, (A battle that was supposed to be won according to the prophet Elisha) Mesha sacrifices his son to Chemosh, Chemosh' wrath goes against the armies of Judah and Israel and they flee from the battle!

Chemosh-1
YHWH-0

I think the worst thing about me leaving that out is me visiting the page before.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
04-01-2016, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 12:04 AM by GirlyMan.)
Cool story. Needs more Bob. And Slack. Drinking Beverage

[Image: bob2_1.jpg]

#sigh
07-01-2016, 06:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 06:46 AM by RobbyPants.)
(30-12-2015 10:23 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  They're not really hidden...people just don't think about what they are reading when they read Gawd's Werd. Drinking Beverage

That always bothered me a bit as a kid. I'd read things that didn't make sense and appeared contradictory, and it'd make me uncomfortable, because I was assuming that I didn't understand what I was reading. The idea that the book might be a hot pile of contradictory shit was completely inconceivable to me.

On a related note, my wife (still Christian), checked out the Brick Bible for me from the library. My older daughter (both are Christian) brought me the book to read to them, because we all like Legos, and she knew it was Bible stories. I was pretty sure it was satire, but I read through about Genesis 3 with them. I love how the author switches from using "God" in the first creation story to "Yahweh God" in the second, and also strongly implies the contradiction about the order of events. First, there are plants, then God makes the animals, then, there never were plants, God makes Adam, then God makes the plants in Eden. I pointed this out to my girls; the idea that there are two stories, and people try to turn it into one. My wife may or may not care that I'm doing this. She doesn't believe in either of those stories, either. At this point, I'm trying to get the notion of biblical literalism and supremacy out of their heads (or rather, keep it out).
07-01-2016, 09:41 AM
(30-12-2015 11:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 09:53 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
HIDDEN GODS IN THE CHRISTIAN OLD TESTEMENT

I am sure at this point everyone is aware of this verse in the bible:

Genesis 1:26: And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Now in reality, it is pointing out that there is more than one god in this context.

Not really. It is an English translation so you can't say the 'us' and 'our' is anything more than the English usage of that time.

Picking apart the wording in translations is not particularly useful except as a critique of the translation.

My Father always found a verse, I could not imagine where it is, that says that God will protect His word for ever from being changed. So even though Job was plagued by Mange in the Spanish version of the Bible and Moses came down from the mountain with horns of stone in other Spanish translations The Word of God is true no matter what distortion it goes thru! Yeah Right!