A list of things to disprove the existence of a benevolent god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2012, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2012 02:56 PM by Vera.)
RE: A list of things to disprove the existence of a benevolent god
(26-12-2012 11:57 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Which part of existence is evil?
The part that causes stupidity (esp. stupidity coupled with unabashed arrogance and petulance) and then unleashes an epic deluge of it upon this forum, silly!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
26-12-2012, 09:33 PM
(26-12-2012 12:05 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(26-12-2012 11:57 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Which part of existence is evil?
The part that causes stupidity (esp. stupidity coupled with unabashed arrogance and petulance) and then unleashes an epic deluge of it upon this forum, silly!

I think Aseptic Skeptic was right, and you're reading it the same way Imbarre is. It's like asking, "what part of blue is cute" and being answered, "smurfs are cute." Smurfs are not "a part of blue", but rather are blue as well as cute (in my opinion). The right answer is "it's nonsense to ask what part of blue is cute", just as it's nonsense to assume that existence itself is good or evil. There may be things that exist that are good or evil, but those aren't components of existence... rather, they are things that hold both the qualities of existing and the qualities of good or evil.

I know you're just kidding, Vera, but I don't want Imbarre taking it seriously and citing your post. Stranger things have happened. Rolleyes

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-12-2012, 02:31 AM
(26-12-2012 09:33 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I think Aseptic Skeptic was right, and you're reading it the same way Imbarre is. It's like asking, "what part of blue is cute" and being answered, "smurfs are cute." Smurfs are not "a part of blue", but rather are blue as well as cute (in my opinion). The right answer is "it's nonsense to ask what part of blue is cute", just as it's nonsense to assume that existence itself is good or evil. There may be things that exist that are good or evil, but those aren't components of existence... rather, they are things that hold both the qualities of existing and the qualities of good or evil.

I know you're just kidding, Vera, but I don't want Imbarre taking it seriously and citing your post. Stranger things have happened. Rolleyes
Well, compared to some of the others around here, lmbarre is actually a breath of (somewhat) fresh air. I'd rather we kept him and lost some of the other trolls.

Or maybe I'm slowly converting... and coming to grips with the realisation that we're living in a panidiotic universe Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
27-12-2012, 07:59 AM
I will chime in:

Body Hair [What is the point of varying degrees when it doesn't keep you warm?]

Bodies that only last a short amount of time.

Balls that hang outside the body.

Mental illnesses

Acne

Pretty much any "reality TV".
27-12-2012, 08:06 AM
  • Mosquitoes
  • Ticks
  • Malaria
  • Cancer
  • Mental illness
  • SUVs

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-12-2012, 11:39 AM
natural disasters
disease
sterility/infertility
disabilities
bigotry
poverty
dictators
violence

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
27-12-2012, 08:41 PM
The fact that we know what causes the tides to go in and out

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh
[+] 1 user Likes DreamWeaver's post
27-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Herpes
4chan
Taxes
Tom Cruise
The DMV
Hot Topic bands

[Image: giphy.gif]
27-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Anencephaly

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
27-12-2012, 10:30 PM
If God is an infinite being, there can be neither in the actual world or in another any proportion between man and his God; thus the idea of God will never enter the human mind. In the supposition of a life where men will be more enlightened than in this one, the infinity of God will always place such a distance between his idea and the limited mind of man, that he will not be able to conceive of God any more in a future life than in the present. Hence, it evidently follows that the idea of God will not be better suited to man in the other life than in the present. God is not made for man; it follows also that intelligences superior to man—such as angels, archangels, seraphims, and saints—can have no more complete notions of God than has man, who does not understand anything about Him here below. - Jean Meslier

Religion unites man with God or puts them in communication; but do you say that God is infinite? If God is infinite, no finite being can have communication or any relation with Him. Where there are no relations, there can be no union, no correspondence, no duties. If there are no duties between man and his God, there exists no religion for man. Thus by saying that God is infinite, you annihilate, from that moment, all religion for man, who is a finite being. The idea of infinity is for us in idea without model, without prototype, without object. - Jean Meslier

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp