A little help here!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2014, 09:33 AM
A little help here!
OK! I don't want to miss this opportunity. Wife and I talked to some christian friends last night at dinner and planted a "seed". So this morning we get a text message that asked:
"What about hieroglyphics the show a human with wings? How could someone draw that if they didn't see it?"

Now I would have a decent answer and even think WTF would suffice, but since the conversation has turned to text messaging time has allowed reflection so,,,,, I asked for your wise input as I don't want to waste this opportunity since the door is cracked a little.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 09:42 AM
RE: A little help here!
Egyptian hieroglyphics often combine humans with other animals. Cats, birds, I think crocodiles too.
The Sphinx is a Lion body with a human head, I don't think that's a literal monument.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
15-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Does this mean that Lord of the Rings is historical? Unsure
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
15-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Chimeras are a common religious motif. Sphinxes, flying horses, gryphons, centaurs and a host of others exist in abundance in religious and mythological literature. That does not make them any more real than the mention of a man with wings makes angles real.
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
15-12-2014, 10:11 AM
(15-12-2014 10:04 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Chimeras are a common religious motif. Sphinxes, flying horses, gryphons, centaurs and a host of others exist in abundance in religious and mythological literature. That does not make them any more real than the mention of a man with wings makes angles real.

Heretic! Angles are real! You're a wrong angle!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
15-12-2014, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2014 10:39 AM by kingschosen.)
As a Christian, I have to say, that's a stupid question.

Like there's no way people would have thought to put wings on a human being if they hadn't seen an angel.

I mean... FFS... flying is the only thing a human can't do, so in order to remedy this they, of course, would put wings on a human because they saw birds with them and birds can fly.

This is simple deductive reasoning.

Moreover, according to the Bible... angels don't look like humans when their wings are visible: ie, when they appear as humans... they *gasp* appear as humans... without the wings. When they appear in their angelic form (wings), they're actually pretty terrifying (source - Bible).

In fact, I think (going off memory here), only seraphim have wings; therefore, no human has even seen a winged angel except those that saw visions (Daniel).

Bucky, please correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Anyway, if your friend knew the Bible he wouldn't make such a stupid claim.

Edit:

Cherubim have wings too.

Edit 2:

According to the Bible here are what winged angels looks like:

A seraph:
[Image: seraphim_angel___commission_by_petite_emi-d3k63vq.png]

A cherub:
[Image: cherub.jpg]

All the other angels in the Bible didn't have wings... this includes Mike, Gabe, and the angels that appeared to humanity as men.

Conclusion - it is impossible for drawings of winged men to be inspired by angels, as angels that appeared to humanity were wingless.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
15-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Um, skip this crap seriously, when people try to flip an argument based on events prior to their book being written itself, what they are doing is trying to retrofit their own desires after the fact.

The Egyptians existed prior so if "I was here first" was a good argument then they should be polytheists. Time machine bullshit arguments do not work.

Humans evolved to communicate at that level, and the primitive myths of the bible are no better than the myths of the Egyptians.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Your friends are idiots.

[Image: 3597515_640px.jpg?1340922572]

Oh my gosh, mermaids are real! How could someone possibly draw one if they hadn't seen one beforehand!? Gasp

People draw things they haven't seen all the time. Creativity, imagination, hallucinations, and just flat out mistaking something for something else are not things exclusive to the 21st century.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 4 users Like CleverUsername's post
15-12-2014, 11:21 AM
(15-12-2014 10:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Moreover, according to the Bible... angels don't look like humans when their wings are visible: ie, when they appear as humans... they *gasp* appear as humans... without the wings. When they appear in their angelic form (wings), they're actually pretty terrifying (source - Bible).

Just something else the bible got wrong...
[Image: DOGMA-ben-affleck-love-angels-22168746-500-313.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
15-12-2014, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2014 12:23 PM by Full Circle.)
Play this clip for your friends without comment and see how they respond.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post