A little help here!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2014, 12:40 PM
RE: A little help here!
(15-12-2014 12:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Play this clip for your friends without comment and see how they respond.

I'm glad that you have Christian friends, but your post, which is similar to others I've read at TTA this month, prompt me to ask which among you are really seeking learned Christians to bounce your ideas off of... I hear "William Lane Craig is an idiot" but cannot recall hearing "so I sent William Lane Craig an email and his response to me was idiotic..."

It's almost like a god-thing that so many of you seem to have some pretty unlearned Christians in your lives. It's almost like God wants you to remain an atheist--and I'm unsure that he does!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 12:57 PM
(15-12-2014 12:40 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 12:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Play this clip for your friends without comment and see how they respond.

I'm glad that you have Christian friends, but your post, which is similar to others I've read at TTA this month, prompt me to ask which among you are really seeking learned Christians to bounce your ideas off of... I hear "William Lane Craig is an idiot" but cannot recall hearing "so I sent William Lane Craig an email and his response to me was idiotic..."

It's almost like a god-thing that so many of you seem to have some pretty unlearned Christians in your lives. It's almost like God wants you to remain an atheist--and I'm unsure that he does!

[Image: 8g1j9.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like kingschosen's post
15-12-2014, 02:49 PM
(15-12-2014 12:40 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

It’s impossible to live in the US and not run into self-proclaimed Christians. I say self-proclaimed because to be honest I no longer have any idea what a True Christian is, I’m not about to try and decipher 43,000 sects anytime soon.

So what exactly constitutes a “learned Christian” to you?

BTW Not my friend we’re talking about here, its the OP’s friend.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
15-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Nobody ever actually saw Zeus throwing lightning bolts down from the sky either; yet there is plenty of art depicting him doing so.
15-12-2014, 06:22 PM
(15-12-2014 09:33 AM)Toney Wrote:  OK! I don't want to miss this opportunity. Wife and I talked to some christian friends last night at dinner and planted a "seed".

So it was a swinging party? Well done! Drooling

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
15-12-2014, 06:30 PM
(15-12-2014 10:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I mean... FFS... flying is the only thing a human can't do, so in order to remedy this they, of course, would put wings on a human because they saw birds with them and birds can fly.

Really? We also can't breathe underwater, regenerate appendages, run particularly fast, dig particularly well, our teeth are terrible, we reproduce at a very slow rate, we need a partner to reproduce, we need tools to survive, and a large chunk of the population can't think particularly well. If you are basing your opinion on what we can't do, your list is extremely short and logic is flawed. Bangin

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
15-12-2014, 07:15 PM
(15-12-2014 06:30 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 10:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I mean... FFS... flying is the only thing a human can't do, so in order to remedy this they, of course, would put wings on a human because they saw birds with them and birds can fly.

Really? We also can't breathe underwater, regenerate appendages, run particularly fast, dig particularly well, our teeth are terrible, we reproduce at a very slow rate, we need a partner to reproduce, we need tools to survive, and a large chunk of the population can't think particularly well. If you are basing your opinion on what we can't do, your list is extremely short and logic is flawed. Bangin

Personal feelings on this point are made fairly clear in my sig. Your specific list though?
[Image: Best-new-Scuba-diving-gear-2013-cover.jpg]
And we're better swimmers than the overwhelming majority of land animals.

[Image: Sweet_Car.jpg]
Or we just keep running (keeping pace) until it keels over trying to get away.

[Image: ats36902_Mine.jpg]
I'd back a dude with a shovel against any tunnling animal you care to name.

[Image: 02mb399.jpg]

"Don't breed fast." The fuck are you talking about?

Ok. Fine sexual reproduction is a potential flaw. No argument here. But for your next couple of problems:
-Our tools are exactly as much as an evolutionary advantage as any other trait and even before science and machines and stuff we were an extremely sucessful species. (Have you got any idea how much of an advantage being able to harm something at long range is? A ten year old throws rocks better than a chimp.)
-Centimetres amongst giants.

Or to put it another way:
Shut the fuck up. You're awesome. (By a metric that defines 100% of the human race as awesome.)

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
15-12-2014, 07:22 PM
(15-12-2014 10:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 10:04 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Chimeras are a common religious motif. Sphinxes, flying horses, gryphons, centaurs and a host of others exist in abundance in religious and mythological literature. That does not make them any more real than the mention of a man with wings makes angles real.

Heretic! Angles are real! You're a wrong angle!

No. I'm straight. That makes me a right angle.
Doc
15-12-2014, 08:42 PM
(15-12-2014 07:15 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 06:30 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Really? We also can't breathe underwater, regenerate appendages, run particularly fast, dig particularly well, our teeth are terrible, we reproduce at a very slow rate, we need a partner to reproduce, we need tools to survive, and a large chunk of the population can't think particularly well. If you are basing your opinion on what we can't do, your list is extremely short and logic is flawed. Bangin

Personal feelings on this point are made fairly clear in my sig. Your specific list though?
[Image: Best-new-Scuba-diving-gear-2013-cover.jpg]
And we're better swimmers than the overwhelming majority of land animals.

[Image: Sweet_Car.jpg]
Or we just keep running (keeping pace) until it keels over trying to get away.

[Image: ats36902_Mine.jpg]
I'd back a dude with a shovel against any tunnling animal you care to name.

[Image: 02mb399.jpg]

"Don't breed fast." The fuck are you talking about?

Ok. Fine sexual reproduction is a potential flaw. No argument here. But for your next couple of problems:
-Our tools are exactly as much as an evolutionary advantage as any other trait and even before science and machines and stuff we were an extremely sucessful species. (Have you got any idea how much of an advantage being able to harm something at long range is? A ten year old throws rocks better than a chimp.)
-Centimetres amongst giants.

Or to put it another way:
Shut the fuck up. You're awesome. (By a metric that defines 100% of the human race as awesome.)

Yeah, this.

Not to mention, everyone knows what I mean... as in terms of locomotion/travel; not an all encompassing everything, asshat. You just wanted to be contrary and pretentious because I identified myself as a theist. You can take that crap elsewhere.

You're picking the wrong fight.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-12-2014, 09:43 PM
(15-12-2014 08:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You just wanted to be contrary and pretentious because I identified myself as a theist. You can take that crap elsewhere.

Um, no. I had no idea you identified yourself as a theist, nor do I care. Seriously, I don't check those things because it makes no difference to me what your beliefs are, nor am I trying to pick a fight. That does not change the response to what you said. So you can quit whining about being singled out or persecuted or whatever you want to call it. I merely responded to a point, take it a baby or take it like a grown-up. Either way, I will not resort to calling names. I don't need to. Drinking Beverage

Stuffed_Assumptions's response was just silly. If you were dumped into the Serengeti with more than everything that he pictured, you still are not likely to survive for long (unless you are some big survivalist type which most of us aren't). The knife will dull or break, the air will run out, the car is practically useless, guns run out of ammo, the hole he pictured is completely useless for protection. You are likely to be eaten by something because we are not the top of the food chain. And while I agree that humans are awesome creatures, we are in no way the best there is. It is called humility.

BTW: I love the gif.

- Paul Dirac