A little help here!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2014, 10:11 PM
RE: A little help here!
(15-12-2014 07:22 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 10:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  Heretic! Angles are real! You're a wrong angle!

No. I'm straight. That makes me a right angle.
Doc

Right angles are extremely bent so you are clearly a wrong angle trying to lead us astray.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2014 10:35 PM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)
Edit: Topic. Forgot:
You should probably point to other things that we know don't exist (FC's SW clip would work well.) rather than challenging their idea about what an angel looks like and spinning deeper into theology. I think you'll be best served by keeping the subject as grounded as possible.

(15-12-2014 09:43 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Stuffed_Assumptions's response was just silly. If you were dumped into the Serengeti with more than everything that he pictured, you still are not likely to survive for long (unless you are some big survivalist type which most of us aren't). The knife will dull or break, the air will run out, the car is practically useless, guns run out of ammo, the hole he pictured is completely useless for protection. You are likely to be eaten by something because we are not the top of the food chain. And while I agree that humans are awesome creatures, we are in no way the best there is. It is called humility.

I'll happily admit to being ragingly anthropocentric but denying that we're not the most successful organism in the entire known universe isn't humility. It's a flat denial of facr.

The point made behind my slightly lazy, half-joking facade was that our intelect and tool use is an evolutionary advantage like any other. To take away our tools and say that we are in any way less capable than another animal is entirely missing the point. If you clip an Osprey's wings and drop it in a pit with a Jack Russel Terrier it'll lose[citation required] because you took away it's major advantage.

Same thing if you take me off this office chair and drop me into the savannah somewhere. Of course I'll die: we kicked so much ass that Gaia herself has reshaped her butt into comfortable walking shoes. I don't have the skills required to survive in an environment that we haven't owned because that is an entirely different senario. Drop a Polar Bear into Yellowstone Park and we'll see how you go.

Taking the crazy survivalist motherfucker out there isn't nessercery either. I know we can make the African plainslands because we did it. Check this out. Notice how the population didn't change much after the Industrial Revolution? Because we we'd already taken over.

One of the reasons we have a fairly complete understanding of our evolution is because our, non-human ancestors were also very successful. We are demonstrably "the best there is."

Quote:BTW: I love the gif.

I think I like it. I'm not sure what it is tbh. KC?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
15-12-2014, 10:31 PM
(15-12-2014 09:33 AM)Toney Wrote:  OK! I don't want to miss this opportunity. Wife and I talked to some christian friends last night at dinner and planted a "seed". So this morning we get a text message that asked:
"What about hieroglyphics the show a human with wings? How could someone draw that if they didn't see it?"

Now I would have a decent answer and even think WTF would suffice, but since the conversation has turned to text messaging time has allowed reflection so,,,,, I asked for your wise input as I don't want to waste this opportunity since the door is cracked a little.

It's not as if humans haven't shown to be extremely imaginative and artistic creatures from past to present. Just because these supposed events took place a LONG ass time ago by our standards doesn't make the world less realistic from a physics standpoint than it is today.

Religious people that claim to see things are more likely suffering the affects of the power of suggestion.

It is suggested -> It is accepted and believed -> Perception becomes reality

And when your reality can include supernatural figures that can pop into existence at your bedside, you don't think you'd wake up flipping out seeing shit once in a blue moon?

If I was convinced my grand dad was literally watching me from some spiritual world where the rules and boundaries of the reality I know of break down in absurd ways... I'd probably wake up once in 3 yrs or so hallucinating him standing there with wings (because someone suggested people with wings exist), in front of a bright light (because someone suggested that the spirit world is bright), and at my bedside too. Not too surprising.
15-12-2014, 10:49 PM
(15-12-2014 12:40 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It's almost like a god-thing that so many of you seem to have some pretty unlearned Christians in your lives.

"Unlearned Christians?"

That's redundant. Drinking Beverage

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
16-12-2014, 12:38 PM
(15-12-2014 12:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 12:40 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm glad that you have Christian friends, but your post, which is similar to others I've read at TTA this month, prompt me to ask which among you are really seeking learned Christians to bounce your ideas off of... I hear "William Lane Craig is an idiot" but cannot recall hearing "so I sent William Lane Craig an email and his response to me was idiotic..."

It's almost like a god-thing that so many of you seem to have some pretty unlearned Christians in your lives. It's almost like God wants you to remain an atheist--and I'm unsure that he does!

[Image: 8g1j9.jpg]

Restated:

"I'm glad you have Christian friends. I believe in a predestination kind of vein that it sure seems like many here have Christian friends who are exceptionally weak in the scriptures." Almost like God closing the loop on them.

Thankfully, I'm here to help. Smile Please support me, KC, in my witnessing efforts. Asking me to restate my premise more clearly would have been more pleasant to me personally than a meme telling me not to talk. I do talk a lot about the gospel, the only hope for all of us.

Thanks!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2014, 08:40 AM
(15-12-2014 09:33 AM)Toney Wrote:  OK! I don't want to miss this opportunity. Wife and I talked to some christian friends last night at dinner and planted a "seed". So this morning we get a text message that asked:
"What about hieroglyphics the show a human with wings? How could someone draw that if they didn't see it?"

Now I would have a decent answer and even think WTF would suffice, but since the conversation has turned to text messaging time has allowed reflection so,,,,, I asked for your wise input as I don't want to waste this opportunity since the door is cracked a little.

Well the conversation continued last night and the winged drawing got put aside quickly after pointing out mermaids and human heads on lions. Then he wanted me to watch some videos that showed me how he felt about the subject of god. Some christian talking about bees and how "We" Christians should listen to people instead of arguing with them. Might have resonated true with me if I were christian. The guy in the video looked like he had to much coffee and was wired. I could picture him with a AK47 doing "gods work" so his message fell on deaf ears. The conversation with my friend didn't go very deep and no conversion was attained but he is thinking about it. That's where it starts and i might be all it takes. Thanks.
18-12-2014, 09:19 AM
(18-12-2014 08:40 AM)Toney Wrote:  

Well the conversation continued last night and the winged drawing got put aside quickly after pointing out mermaids and human heads on lions. Then he wanted me to watch some videos that showed me how he felt about the subject of god. Some christian talking about bees and how "We" Christians should listen to people instead of arguing with them. Might have resonated true with me if I were christian. The guy in the video looked like he had to much coffee and was wired. I could picture him with a AK47 doing "gods work" so his message fell on deaf ears. The conversation with my friend didn't go very deep and no conversion was attained but he is thinking about it. That's where it starts and i might be all it takes. Thanks.

Share the little history lesson about angels that I posted. Interested to see how he responds to the fact that biblical angels that appear to men did not have wings.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-12-2014, 09:29 AM
(16-12-2014 12:38 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Restated:

"I'm glad you have Christian friends. I believe in a predestination kind of vein that it sure seems like many here have Christian friends who are exceptionally weak in the scriptures." Almost like God closing the loop on them.

Thankfully, I'm here to help. Smile Please support me, KC, in my witnessing efforts. Asking me to restate my premise more clearly would have been more pleasant to me personally than a meme telling me not to talk. I do talk a lot about the gospel, the only hope for all of us.

Thanks!

Okay, Q... here's the thing:

I personally don't really have a problem with you... that much anyway. I think you're intentionally disingenuous and needlessly complicated and abstract when asked simple, direct questions, but that in of itself doesn't make me dislike you.

You're more neutral to me.

With me, I don't discriminate. I'll call out atheists, Christians, gays, blacks, whites, aliens, chickens, and giant star clusters if they're piling on the BS, being hypocritical, being disingenuous, etc while having a convo.

Due to the nature of the site, you see more Christians acting like complete morons. This has been my fight over the years... letting people know that not all Christians are Ken-Ham-stroking-lying-retards and that we're actually capable of critical thought.

This is my personal fight. So, I ain't on your side. I ain't on the atheists' side. I ain't on anyone's side.

I just want to continue to bridge the community together and show that theists and atheists can have meaningful and thoughtful debates and conversations without resorting to cheap, unfair, dishonest tactics while stating a stance clearly and efficiently to each other.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]