A little more talk and a lot less action!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2014, 07:09 AM
A little more talk and a lot less action!
Since delving into identifying myself as atheist, I've been paying more attention to those around me who identify themselves as Christian, which is the overwhelming majority.

The thing that sticks out the most to me is that these people, on a day to day, action to action and word to word basis, do not differ from myself. They are not inherently good or bad. But their supposed role as a Christian, for the most part, has no affect on their actions and interactions with others.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that saying, "I'm a Christian." is about as far as it goes for them except on Sundays. They cuss, lie, drink, cheat, work, eat, etc. no different than the evil atheist minority of the area.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
21-08-2014, 07:17 AM
RE: A little more talk and a lot less action!
But they have a team to be a part of, the cult needs them. Somehow society would break down into barbarism if they were to dismiss god.
21-08-2014, 09:23 AM
(21-08-2014 07:17 AM)pablo Wrote:  But they have a team to be a part of, the cult needs them. Somehow society would break down into barbarism if they were to dismiss god.

That's just it though. I can't help but wonder if some people didn't have the giant bearded white man watching them would they become barbarians? How many people obey the law simply because they fear punishment? How many need the carrot and stick?
Perhaps individuals and society as a whole isn't ready to let go of their gods.
But I could be wrong....
21-08-2014, 09:39 AM
I think if someone was inclined to break the law they would do it even if they claimed to be christian(or any other religion).
I wonder if most religious types even give these beliefs a second thought until it's either time to go to church or they need to be appropriately outraged by something the church doesn't like.
21-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Bingo Pablo! Being Christian isn't a thought or concern of their daily lives until its convenient or someone else brings it up.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
21-08-2014, 09:56 AM
(21-08-2014 09:39 AM)pablo Wrote:  I think if someone was inclined to break the law they would do it even if they claimed to be christian(or any other religion).
I wonder if most religious types even give these beliefs a second thought until it's either time to go to church or they need to be appropriately outraged by something the church doesn't like.

I didn't really mean it like that. What I mean to say is that perhaps there are people that do the right thing because they are told to. It doesn't really matter if they are Christian or not. Some people follow the law because they fear jail. Some people follow god because they fear hell.
But yes I'm sure there are many Sunday Christians.
21-08-2014, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2014 10:53 AM by Kemasyn.)
(21-08-2014 09:23 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 07:17 AM)pablo Wrote:  But they have a team to be a part of, the cult needs them. Somehow society would break down into barbarism if they were to dismiss god.

That's just it though. I can't help but wonder if some people didn't have the giant bearded white man watching them would they become barbarians? How many people obey the law simply because they fear punishment? How many need the carrot and stick?
Perhaps individuals and society as a whole isn't ready to let go of their gods.
But I could be wrong....

I have contemplated these concepts quite a bit. Would society break down into barbarianism if they were to let go of their god(s)? Are there really that many people that fear hell so much that without their faith they would have a breakdown and no direction to follow? I know many who need a carrot and a stick before they will be motivated.

I had a conversation recently with my fiancé, who has helped me tremendously understand the complexities of being so indoctrinated and the adverse effects it can have on someone. I wasn't quite as overcome with religion that it was easy for me to simply let go of it, yet I did not have the understanding of such extreme effects it has for people. That's another story --- any who -- the conversation we had was about maybe we are the beginnings of the unraveling and that there has to be a breakdown of religious structures for those to understand the effects it has and to rebuild a much coherent society.

I think, I think too much....Drinking Beverage

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.
[+] 1 user Likes Kemasyn's post
21-08-2014, 10:51 AM
(21-08-2014 07:09 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Since delving into identifying myself as atheist, I've been paying more attention to those around me who identify themselves as Christian, which is the overwhelming majority.

The thing that sticks out the most to me is that these people, on a day to day, action to action and word to word basis, do not differ from myself. They are not inherently good or bad. But their supposed role as a Christian, for the most part, has no affect on their actions and interactions with others.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that saying, "I'm a Christian." is about as far as it goes for them except on Sundays. They cuss, lie, drink, cheat, work, eat, etc. no different than the evil atheist minority of the area.

Skip the fucking labels. Atheists are not automatically good or bad by the proxy of the label "atheist" either. Our species evolution has always displayed the same range of actions good and bad, cruel or compassionate.

You can only say that theists are deluded into believing their morality comes from a book or a fictional sky hero. But not even that means atheists are perfect. We are still the same species.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-08-2014, 10:53 AM
(21-08-2014 07:09 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  ...

"Well, speaking as a christian ..."

Read:

"Well, speaking as a hypocrite ..."

[cue, Jim Jefferies]

21-08-2014, 11:06 AM
(21-08-2014 10:51 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 07:09 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Since delving into identifying myself as atheist, I've been paying more attention to those around me who identify themselves as Christian, which is the overwhelming majority.

Skip the fucking labels. Atheists are not automatically good or bad by the proxy of the label "atheist" either. Our species evolution has always displayed the same range of actions good and bad, cruel or compassionate.

You can only say that theists are deluded into believing their morality comes from a book or a fictional sky hero. But not even that means atheists are perfect. We are still the same species.

The thing with labels I think I dislike is that it comes with a preconceived notion of what or who something or someone is or is supposed to be. I'll admit, years ago, the mention of an Atheist was synonymous to the anti-Christ or Pagan was akin to a devil worshiper. To me the actions of a person speaks further than a label that can be worn. I'll be it, there are some labels that fit and individuals wear them well and proudly.

Morality and the 'good book' I feel is one serious issue that need to be addressed and that ball of yarn needs to be unraveled. I agree, we are the same species yet we act like we are comprised of more than one species.

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.