A long dark night of the mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2013, 02:48 PM
RE: A long dark night of the mind
TarzanSmith - You are giving me a headache! What the fuck are you talking about??? Take one point at a time dude! We can't be expected to respond to (or even understand) your entire life philosophy from one meandering post. And, I'll be honest with you: After what should have been a couple of paragraphs, I became bored and stopped reading. I realize that you think that you already have the answers, but give the rest of us a break and ask - one - question - at - a - time! Or, better yet. . . Fuck off!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
14-06-2013, 06:18 PM
What Chas said. I'm a woman, and it's views like yours that make equality difficult to achieve. You're entitled to your views, but if you ever find yourself on the "weak" end of the Nietschzean scale (for example, growing older, getting sick, being in an accident and being traumatically brain injured or becoming disabled), your viewpoint may change. I hope you get some compassion.

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
14-06-2013, 10:03 PM
It's funny, I can imagine you attacking the weak parts of your body and removing them.
Which is stronger, the left arm or the right arm. One should be removed.
Which eye has better vision. Pluck the other out.

I also imagine the day you get sentenced to life in prison and I may rejoice in the thought of the continuous nightly rape of your buttocks.

I too see myself as superior, superior in kindness, superior in patience, superior in the knowledge that my life is short and insignificant when compared to the lifetime of joy that a family of five generations can experience on any given holiday when they are together.

You are selfish and childish and have no reason to think of yourself as superior. You are immature, infantile in your thoughts.
You lack the basic empathy that most humans have. You lack compassion. You are lacking many traits that one would consider average.

You desire to beat up an elderly woman. I desire for that woman to shoot you in the face and have it not kill you.
I would like to see you scarred for life until some measure of humility oozes into what is left of your brain.

Equality is about treating each other as equals, with equal rights, equal opportunity, equal respect and equal pay.
Your desire to discriminate should start with yourself. Take a long hard look at all your flaws and begin to discriminate.
Begin the self loathing. Begin breaking every mirror in your house because you can't stand the sight of yourself.

I wish for you to meet yourself in a dark alley so you can come to realize just how little you think of yourself.

You are inferior in every way that matters.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
15-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Alright Tarzan, think about it. God created you. He put into action the circumstances long ago that would eventually lead to your creation. You are a part of his perfect plan. All of the confusion that you feel doesn't matter, because He has control and will always make everything perfect.

You have given your life to Jesus right? Hasn't it made all the difference in the world? Hasn't the lord given you the all encompassing joy and empathy that everyone who knows Jesus should have?

Isn't god just that real for you? Any true believer would know how wonderful and life changing god is, taking away all sins if the past. Giving you the warmest desire to live as Christ would, honoring the least of us as the most.

This is what Christ teaches, and what you as a christian must obey.

Yet your posts reflect otherwise. How much faith do you have?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
15-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Get some fucking help before you hurt somebody.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
15-06-2013, 02:32 AM
You should really read some of the works of Michel Foucault, he has great insights in all the binary power relations issue, which seems to be the source of your problems.

But basically, the equality concept is not as simple as homogeneity, it better referred as a connectivity notion, the homophobic person also suffers the consequences of homophobia, he's forced to demonstrate his masculinity/heterosexuality constantly and in every single aspect of his life, standards of masculinity no men can hope to meet. It's not the same as being killed, but it can ruin your life just the same and yo wouldn't even notice it.

You're not equal to others because you share the same characteristics, you're equal because you're part of the same system (usually called humanity, or even planet earth in a broader sense). If you break the bonds that held us together by imposing yourself or your will to others, you're just sawing the branch you're sitting on. And there's no way to actually assess how relevant a person is to the big picture, a small weak gay kid could be as important as a president but you wouldn't know it until is too late, that's why we treat each other equally, or at least try to, because it's the only way we can ensure a minimum of security for the whole.

So if you're so superior to others as you think you are, then stop acting so cocky an start doing some good instead of judging and trying to dominate others. You say you're a catholic, do as you preach. And for fucks sake, take care of your own soul before you cast judgement onto others.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
15-06-2013, 08:24 AM
(14-06-2013 01:06 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  This is a place where I do ascribe to Nietzsche. In his Antichrist, he states that Religion is the birthplace of the virtues of Equality, empathy and compassion. Many atheists claim that one does not need religion to be moral; however, it seems that I do.

That was so painful to read -- not because of the ideas, but because of the lack of paragraph separation. I know you were tired, but you wore me out trying to get through that block of text.

What you're arguing against is a hypothetical control group. You're so sure that you'd be immoral without God, but you have no idea in reality because you haven't tried it, so the "you" that you think you'd be is entirely hypothetical.

There are plenty of us who are moral without God, and we live by systems of ethics instead. You could, too, if you really wanted to do it. In fact, you could even continue to live the way that you currently do but without worshiping God because atheism doesn't require a specific system of ethics. And I know this from personal experience, because I used to be a Christian and also had to live by my old ethics for a time while trying to figure out how to best live as a non-believer.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
15-06-2013, 08:44 AM
(15-06-2013 08:24 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(14-06-2013 01:06 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  This is a place where I do ascribe to Nietzsche. In his Antichrist, he states that Religion is the birthplace of the virtues of Equality, empathy and compassion. Many atheists claim that one does not need religion to be moral; however, it seems that I do.

That was so painful to read -- not because of the ideas, but because of the lack of paragraph separation. I know you were tired, but you wore me out trying to get through that block of text.

What you're arguing against is a hypothetical control group. You're so sure that you'd be immoral without God, but you have no idea in reality because you haven't tried it, so the "you" that you think you'd be is entirely hypothetical.

There are plenty of us who are moral without God, and we live by systems of ethics instead. You could, too, if you really wanted to do it. In fact, you could even continue to live the way that you currently do but without worshiping God because atheism doesn't require a specific system of ethics. And I know this from personal experience, because I used to be a Christian and also had to live by my old ethics for a time while trying to figure out how to best live as a non-believer.

But he is immoral with God. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-06-2013, 09:12 AM
(15-06-2013 08:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  But he is immoral with God. Consider

Yes, he is... by our standards. I would prefer to suggest that he live in a way that minimizes harm towards others (humanism), but I recognize that this isn't the only system of ethics out there.

You make a good point, but I was only arguing that he could have his system of ethics (as errant as we find it to be) without God.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
15-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Sorry about the formatting guys. I typed it out on word and it looked good and then I just copied and pasted it onto to the forum. I should have looked it over before posting.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post