A long dark night of the mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2013, 12:19 PM
RE: A long dark night of the mind
Quote:Posted by Ameron1963 - Yesterday 02:48 PM
TarzanSmith - You are giving me a headache! What the fuck are you talking about??? Take one point at a time dude! We can't be expected to respond to (or even understand) your entire life philosophy from one meandering post. And, I'll be honest with you: After what should have been a couple of paragraphs, I became bored and stopped reading. I realize that you think that you already have the answers, but give the rest of us a break and ask - one - question - at - a - time! Or, better yet. . . Fuck off!

Sorry about the formatting. I was in a ruse and I just copy and pasted it from a word document. The paragraphs were there they just needed to be spaced out more.

Also this was sort of a cathartic experience while at the same time just trying to give some background information.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Quote:Posted by cjs - Yesterday 06:18 PM
What Chas said. I'm a woman, and it's views like yours that make equality difficult to achieve. You're entitled to your views, but if you ever find yourself on the "weak" end of the Nietschzean scale (for example, growing older, getting sick, being in an accident and being traumatically brain injured or becoming disabled), your viewpoint may change. I hope you get some compassion.

Yes I would presume someone who doesn't believe in equality would very much be a hindrance to equality.

It's interesting that you mention being weak because Nietzsche was himself weak and syphilitic and yet he still held this view. Of course I have no real idea how i would react to becoming weak especially as I hate weakness in myself. Also if I were to experience brain trauma then there is no way to predict how my thoughts will have changed.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
15-06-2013, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2013 12:52 PM by kim.)
@ Rahn127
Quote:It's funny, I can imagine you attacking the weak parts of your body and removing them.
Which is stronger, the left arm or the right arm. One should be removed.
Which eye has better vision. Pluck the other out.

This is somewhat interesting that you should mention this as I often hate weakness in myself. I want to get lazer eye surgery so I can see better. I have even contemplated a surgery were they brake your bones and stretch them to make you taller. Even though I am six foot and not short.

Quote:I also imagine the day you get sentenced to life in prison and I may rejoice in the thought of the continuous nightly rape of your buttocks.

If I were to go full Nietzschian I probably wouldn't be religious so I most likely would do the butt raping.

Quote:I too see myself as superior, superior in kindness, superior in patience, superior in the knowledge that my life is short and insignificant when compared to the lifetime of joy that a family of five generations can experience on any given holiday when they are together.

Nietzsche would have called things such as kindness and feelings of insignificance as a vice and not a virtue. Also I have incredible amounts of patience.

Quote:You are selfish and childish and have no reason to think of yourself as superior. You are immature, infantile in your thoughts.
You lack the basic empathy that most humans have. You lack compassion. You are lacking many traits that one would consider average.

Interestingly enough Nietzsche again would have called the traits of compassion and empathy to be vices and selfishness to be a virtue.

Quote:Equality is about treating each other as equals, with equal rights, equal opportunity, equal respect and equal pay.

But why should I if they are not equal

Quote:Your desire to discriminate should start with yourself. Take a long hard look at all your flaws and begin to discriminate.
Begin the self loathing. Begin breaking every mirror in your house because you can't stand the sight of yourself.

I don't so much hate myself as fear myself. I see no reason to hate myself. As a religious I am told only to hate sin not the sinner and if I were an atheist then I would see myself as strong and I love what is strong.

Quote:I wish for you to meet yourself in a dark alley so you can come to realize just how little you think of yourself.

I often meet myself on the internet and in history. these are not ideas that spring from me with no basis. In fact at the moment I am mostly just parroting what I have heard elsewhere. The only thing I think that is unique about myself is that I am also religious.

Quote:You are inferior in every way that matters.

The question is matters to whom

- my friend Marc
15-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Quote:osted by evenheathen - Today 12:18 AM
Alright Tarzan, think about it. God created you. He put into action the circumstances long ago that would eventually lead to your creation. You are a part of his perfect plan. All of the confusion that you feel doesn't matter, because He has control and will always make everything perfect.

You have given your life to Jesus right? Hasn't it made all the difference in the world? Hasn't the lord given you the all encompassing joy and empathy that everyone who knows Jesus should have?

Isn't god just that real for you? Any true believer would know how wonderful and life changing god is, taking away all sins if the past. Giving you the warmest desire to live as Christ would, honoring the least of us as the most.

This is what Christ teaches, and what you as a christian must obey.

Yet your posts reflect otherwise. How much faith do you have?

My faith is very interesting. It is based almost entirely on reason and very little on any personal relationship with God. I feel as though this makes my faith stronger in someways as I will not loose faith over a supposedly failed prayer. Please note that this entire post was about how I view the world secularly which is different then how I view it theistically. However whenever the two contradict the theistic view point takes precedent. As shown by the slavery example.

Quote:Get some fucking help before you hurt somebody.

I have it's called Catholicism.

- my friend Marc
15-06-2013, 01:09 PM
@ Nach_in

Quote:You should really read some of the works of Michel Foucault, he has great insights in all the binary power relations issue, which seems to be the source of your problems.

I just might. I find it interesting that he was influenced by Nietzsche.

Quote:So if you're so superior to others as you think you are, then stop acting so cocky an start doing some good instead of judging and trying to dominate others. You say you're a catholic, do as you preach. And for fucks sake, take care of your own soul before you cast judgement onto others.

I am Catholic and I often do as I preach. I volunteered in Jamaica for six weeks. I often try to help people as much as I can without ever asking for return. But I find that the reason I do so is because I am catholic. An example of this was I walked past an old lady who was having some trouble getting up a flight of stairs and for the next ten minutes I berated myself for not helping the lady because that was what a Catholic would have done.

- my friend Marc
15-06-2013, 01:19 PM
@ Starcrash

Quote:That was so painful to read -- not because of the ideas, but because of the lack of paragraph separation. I know you were tired, but you wore me out trying to get through that block of text.

Again I am so sorry for the formatting. It has since been fixed.

Quote:What you're arguing against is a hypothetical control group. You're so sure that you'd be immoral without God, but you have no idea in reality because you haven't tried it, so the "you" that you think you'd be is entirely hypothetical.

Yes it is in some ways merely a hypothetical situation. however there are definitely times were I have succumbed to weakness and have very much been ashamed of myself. but that shame always seemed to come from the outside and not the inside. Either in fear of the law or just the fact that a Catholic shouldn't do these things.

Quote:Yes, he is... by our standards. I would prefer to suggest that he live in a way that minimizes harm towards others (humanism), but I recognize that this isn't the only system of ethics out there.

That is the big thing right there that in Atheism there are many systems of ethics and many of them can be considered valid. And if I need not fear retribution why should I follow them. Kind of a ring of Gyges concept.

- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
15-06-2013, 01:30 PM
You report no empathy rather, a "fear of the law or just the fact that a Catholic shouldn't do these things" ... "but that shame always seemed to come from the outside and not the inside."

Have you had a brain scan for psychopathy? I'm not being sarcastic, just curious. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-06-2013, 01:39 PM
@kim

Quote:You report no empathy rather, a "fear of the law or just the fact that a Catholic shouldn't do these things" ... "but that shame always seemed to come from the outside and not the inside."

Have you had a brain scan for psychopathy? I'm not being sarcastic, just curious.

No I haven't. However I remember taking a quiz, which seemed quite comprehensive, and gave me High for Narcissism and histrionic and moderate for shizotypal

here's the link if anyone may offer a critic of it

http://similarminds.com/personality_disorder.html

- my friend Marc
15-06-2013, 01:52 PM
(14-06-2013 01:06 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I find it strange that in order to not be called a monster it seems I must be called a sexist, homophobic tyrant.

What follows is just a normal philosophical meandering that often hits me when in a state of melancholia and at the wee hours of the morning, resigned to getting little sleep that night.

This night was a focus upon the two contradictory natures of my mind that have led me to label myself as a Nietzschian Catholic or possibly a Machiavellian Catholic. Although I must admit that my knowledge of Nietzsche is limited to excerpts of the Anti-Christ and his works on the Ubermensch and Machiavelli is limited to a handful of quotes. Therefore, it is possible that I have mislabelled myself but my philosophy most likely will not change with further reading.

The main reason I call myself this is that I have a disbelief in equality, which I solidified and defined from an excerpt of St Thomas’ De Regnum, I think. St Thomas wrote was answering the question if there would be equality before the fall, if say Adam and Eve had kids and formed a community before eating the fruit. His answer was that there would not be equality because even by virtue of someone being older than another there would be differences and this would essentially mean that these people would not have total equality. It was with this that I was able to justify what I held to be true and other people consider to be Racism, Sexism and the like. I fully believe that these are fully justifiable traits and that equality is a farce.
Another odd belief I held was the theory of the strong should rule over the weak, I believe this stemmed from a variety of sources. One was my seemingly absent or at least significantly muted empathy. I do not know how I developed this it just seems somewhat inherent. It was however reinforced by the internet and sites such as 4chan. An example of this is that the same day as the Boston marathon bombings I was already laughing at jokes over it.

I would also consider the video games I played to have been a Factor. I have always enjoyed the Total war series of Games where you are a general and you must conquer the world. Various things in this game influence me, I believe. Such as running down fleeing enemies, taking cites which gives the option to enslave the populace or exterminate the settlement. As well as the loading screen had various quotes from military and political thinkers like Machiavelli. One of my favourites is Thucydides’ “the strong did what they could and the weak suffered what they must.”

The third factor is that I have usually been somewhat superior to others. In elementary school, a very formative period, I was always the strongest in my grade and often grades higher than me. In high school I ended up being the second strongest in the school in my grade twelve year. I still fall into the higher percentile in terms of size and strength despite the fact that I do not work out. I am also in the higher percentile for both intelligence and ability, meaning I can do almost anything I set my mind to. As such I have always had a view of being superior to other people.

It was interesting I ended up taking this online survey, which seemed quite extensive and accurate (it was not a facebook quiz) and it rated me high for Narcissism and desiring others praise and moderate for Schizotypal which means I tend to think differently than others. All of which I agree with. I think I am somewhat unique on this site in that I have been walking down the street and imagined killing those walking around me. Recently I was walking home from the hardware store with a piece of ABS pipe and a middle age lady was walking towards me and as she was approaching, all that was running through my head was me beating her with the ABS.

So this is my secular world. I have realised that I am a monster in the eyes of other people if only theoretically. I believe that those beneath me are less worthy then me. So then comes the conflict. I am also a Catholic.
This is a place where I do ascribe to Nietzsche. In his Antichrist, he states that Religion is the birthplace of the virtues of Equality, empathy and compassion. Many atheists claim that one does not need religion to be moral; however, it seems that I do.
I do not ascribe to the tenants of Catholicism out of fear of hell or promise of heaven but merely because I am Catholic and as such, I should do what a Catholic should do. I have often felt guilty of doing something that I am not proud of not because I thought it a wrong thing to do but something that a Catholic should not do. This plays into an interesting idea as hand in hand with my Catholicism, I consider myself a gentleman. Which is itself a sexist notion as it places women higher than a man; however, I find that if I do not ascribe to this position I feel as though women are beneath men. Since Aristotle tells us to choose the harder extreme it would seem to be the better choice to be a gentleman.

An interesting point on how my Catholicism has led me away from secular evil is that I used to be tolerant of Slavery until I read that it was banned in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. So Dan Savages argument that the Bible got the one absolute moral truth wrong has no bearing on me.

And this Brings me to my Final point. That I need my Catholicism. Some of you may postulate that why don’t I merely switch to another branch of Christianity that is more tolerant. There is an inherent problem here is that My Catholicism is not a Sunday hobby where I can switch churches like switching Hockey leagues. Catholicism is how I see the world and truth in general. To stop being a Catholic would literally mean that I would rethink the entire existence of the world. It would also undermine the validity of the truth that I believe. If truth becomes merely a matter of picking what you want to be true then there is not much of a basis for validity of this truth.
So it seems I am stuck having people call me a sexist and a homophobe so that they won’t call me a monster.

Sorry for the long post. I thought it might add background to my point of view. One thing that has always stuck with me is that a member once asked that I seem really smart why do I believe in religion. I thought I should answer it.

Okay.

So you seem to have a superiority complex, coupled with the beginning processes of self review.

Upon this review you are concerned by your own behavior and desire to control that behavior. This sounds quite normal to me.

Rather than worry about how dark and evil your are becoming and how much you need a religion to curb it, I'd focus on reading about ethics.

I use a mix of Virtue, utilitarian, and consequentialist ethics. It keeps me morally steady.

Also don't worry about laughing at some of those things. It's hard to resist the urge to laugh at absurdities, and some of those things on 4chan are composed in such a way that guilty laughter is the only result.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
15-06-2013, 01:58 PM
The only cure for the superiority complex is learning how to be wrong, and being proven wrong.

Depending on your stubbornness you'll learn that sooner or later.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp