A long dark night of the mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2013, 02:05 PM
RE: A long dark night of the mind
@Fstratzero

Quote:So you seem to have a superiority complex, coupled with the beginning processes of self review.

Upon this review you are concerned by your own behavior and desire to control that behavior. This sounds quite normal to me.

Rather than worry about how dark and evil your are becoming and how much you need a religion to curb it, I'd focus on reading about ethics.

I use a mix of Virtue, utilitarian, and consequentialist ethics. It keeps me morally steady.

That's more or less it except the part about studying ethics as it was doing that which brought me more solidly into Nietzsche.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

Up to the heretic, smack, smack, smack!
Down to the jail went Good St. Nick!

When people say WWJD just remember that flipping tables and whipping people is still a valid option.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2013, 02:14 PM
I trudged right up to the part proclaiming superiority even as a child.

Not even worth an effort past that.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-06-2013, 02:31 PM
(15-06-2013 02:05 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  @Fstratzero

Quote:So you seem to have a superiority complex, coupled with the beginning processes of self review.

Upon this review you are concerned by your own behavior and desire to control that behavior. This sounds quite normal to me.

Rather than worry about how dark and evil your are becoming and how much you need a religion to curb it, I'd focus on reading about ethics.

I use a mix of Virtue, utilitarian, and consequentialist ethics. It keeps me morally steady.

That's more or less it except the part about studying ethics as it was doing that which brought me more solidly into Nietzsche.

Nietzsche is annoying, and his moral views are exclusive. However that does fit into a superiority complex quite well.

You might want to try and break or hack his moral system.

After all any system invented by humans can be exploited by them.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
15-06-2013, 02:32 PM
I am thinking of restarting this thread but instead of a meandering philosophical-biographical post instead actually put into an argumentative form.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

Up to the heretic, smack, smack, smack!
Down to the jail went Good St. Nick!

When people say WWJD just remember that flipping tables and whipping people is still a valid option.
15-06-2013, 02:38 PM
(15-06-2013 02:32 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I am thinking of restarting this thread but instead of a meandering philosophical-biographical post instead actually put into an argumentative form.

That could be fun! Big Grin

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
15-06-2013, 02:45 PM
(15-06-2013 02:05 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  That's more or less it except the part about studying ethics as it was doing that which brought me more solidly into Nietzsche.

Well, Nietzsche was often ill, he had several mental breakdowns and was suicidal. He had a shitty lifestyle, he was frustrated by a lot of choices he made - mainly by the lack of recognition, which he craved.

Philosophy is often a radical questioning of values and a form of analysis which may or may not lead to "truth" - for one's own self, if no one else. Existentialism is essentially taking responsibility for one's self. Desiring happiness for all, in the face of existentialism, one must temper one's self control with compassion and empathy, otherwise life is a shitty bummer. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-06-2013, 09:43 PM
(15-06-2013 01:19 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  That is the big thing right there that in Atheism there are many systems of ethics and many of them can be considered valid. And if I need not fear retribution why should I follow them. Kind of a ring of Gyges concept.

Why indeed. Most of us obey the law because of the possibility of being arrested, but when that possibility is removed then you find that many people will do evil, such as in the case of the riot caused when the Montreal police went on strike for a mere day. It's also the reason that people are crueler on the internet than they are in real life, because anonymity allows us to be mean without personal detriment.

However, the question remains in the minds of many theists: why aren't evil people suffering? There are plenty of dictators who are responsible for countless deaths and endless suffering and yet they remain in power and wealth. To say that God will get His revenge when they go to hell doesn't lessen the fact that their justice isn't visible or immediate... which leads us to wonder why it would matter if God is watching or not. Furthermore, a Christian will not go to hell and will sometimes not suffer consequences from evil actions either, which is a clear sign of injustice.

But in the end, it doesn't matter if God is real. As I said before, you can live the same whether or not there's a real God looking over your shoulder. There are billions of believers in gods that you and I would see as false, and yet those believers act morally for the same reason that you are -- because they *think* that there's a God watching.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
15-06-2013, 10:33 PM
(15-06-2013 01:39 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  @kim

Quote:You report no empathy rather, a "fear of the law or just the fact that a Catholic shouldn't do these things" ... "but that shame always seemed to come from the outside and not the inside."

Have you had a brain scan for psychopathy? I'm not being sarcastic, just curious.

No I haven't. However I remember taking a quiz, which seemed quite comprehensive, and gave me High for Narcissism and histrionic and moderate for shizotypal

here's the link if anyone may offer a critic of it

http://similarminds.com/personality_disorder.html

Based on your first post, you seem to be a real narcissist--not just an arrogant guy, but someone who cannot contemplate his own failings. If you have so much contempt for those you feel are inferior that you desire attacking them physically and killing them, you seriously need professional help. Those thoughts are not something most people have. You either have the mind of a serial killer, or you are desperately seeking attention with your posts. Either way, you won't get the help you need from posters on this board. Seek out a psychiatrist in the real world.
[+] 5 users Like BryanS's post
16-06-2013, 09:00 AM
I couldn't read this whole thread but I got through most of it...

You are weaker than you realize physical weakness is not the only form of weakness. You are weak of the mind, unable to steer even your most basic desires without aid from an institution of such strength and longevity as the church. A person strong of will need not have such an authority to tell him what is right and just.

Gangsters are physically strong but look at all the good it does them...incarceration, early death when the projectiles start flying making the weak strong...

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
16-06-2013, 09:36 PM
(14-06-2013 01:06 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I think I am somewhat unique on this site in that I have been walking down the street and imagined killing those walking around me. Recently I was walking home from the hardware store with a piece of ABS pipe and a middle age lady was walking towards me and as she was approaching, all that was running through my head was me beating her with the ABS. [Emphasis added.]

Er . . . "somewhat unique"? I think you can safely drop the qualifier. You are unique on this site. Fortunately there's only one of you.

Seriously, dude, you need to get professional help. If you don't, there's a good chance you'll eventually turn those fantasies into reality, and we'll be seeing you on the six o'clock news.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "The mind is proof of god's existence." Chujutsu 162 4,652 21-07-2014 03:42 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Mr. Walker and The Dark Phoenix: The Emotional Factor Dark Phoenix 43 604 26-06-2014 06:39 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Ruining my Saturday night by watching "Jesus Camp" Virgo Supercluster 52 1,071 21-04-2014 08:28 AM
Last Post: Logisch
  Critiquing "the good parts" of the Bible (long one) Buddy Christ 4 189 23-01-2014 04:27 PM
Last Post: Buddy Christ
  How long is a day? goodwithoutgod 0 127 17-12-2013 08:25 AM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  I'm losing my mind TSG 11 338 04-12-2013 01:27 AM
Last Post: Rahn127
  How long does it take for Heaven to become another form of hell ? IndianAtheist 5 258 21-11-2013 09:02 PM
Last Post: grizzlysnake