A long rant about my supervisor (supportive comments plz)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2011, 02:43 AM

A long rant about my supervisor (supportive comments plz)
I worked 6 hours the other day, every other time I have worked 6 hours I have gotten a 30 minute break (which is the law) . I told this to my supervisor, he told me "No, you take a 10 today". So I took a 10, the entire 10 minutes of my break I spent crying because he had been harassing me most of the day.

One of the things he was harassing me over is that one of the customers stole another customer's meal. I recited the order and called the correct name, I did everything I was supposed to do with my job, and shit just happens. The customers weren't even angry, they understood how some people are assholes. Yet my supervisor snapped at me, saying "If you mess up on one more thing today I'm going to write you up". That was the only mistake I made and it wasn't even my fault. Not only that but I NEVER make mistakes. Another time he threatened to write me up when I came in 15 minutes late because no one told me my schedule. Thankfully I came early to check and wasn't that late.

I need this job, I need the income, I don't need my supervisor making threats over things that weren't my fault to begin with. The rest of the day he spent making snide little comments on my performance. Let me say one thing about my "performance", 2 weeks ago I received a positive customer report which our district manager commented on. Not only that but ever since I started working there I have received nothing but praise from everyone... except my supervisor Clint. I'm calling my manager tomorrow to talk about what's going on and to request that if I DO work with Clint that either he or another supervisor is there to watch him because he never bothers me if other people are watching him.

Supportive comments of reassurance? Or at least constructive feedback, I'm depressed and I have to work a long shift tomorrow... with the same supervisor. All day. Sad
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2011, 03:18 AM
RE: A long rant about my supervisor (supportive comments plz)
The workplace is a very, very tough place for people to make it in. The reason being is much of the system is not built to support us. The state I live in, Washington, is an at will employment state. The law states....

Quote:any hiring is presumed to be "at will"; that is, the employer is free to discharge individuals "for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all," and the employee is equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work

Now why am I telling you this? Because I am going through much of the same thing at my job. I am currently on a leave of absence for medical reasons, which is likely the reason I still have a job, but every day I was harassed, threatened, belittled, and generally made to feel like less of a person. Heck, I am an assistant manager. At least 3 times a week I would be told that I was replaceable and that I could have been fired for many reasons. Yes, I have made mistakes but who hasn't? I am an honest person. I work hard. When I see that what I am doing as a sales manager is not working I work to improve it. The company I work for is so focused on numbers that if you do not hit one of those goals, even if you have hit it every week for the last 2 months, you are told that you could be fired at any time.

I have gone gone up the latter. I have written letters to the company. What it comes down to is the fact that they have invested more money into my boss than they have in me. They can replace me and at some point they will. Its a tough world.

Now I am not trying to give you the speech that I have heard many times that if you do not like your job then find something else. Its not that easy in this current economy. However, one of the things that I have learned, and it is very unfortunate, is that at times you just have to put your head down and work your ass off until you can find that better job. They don't set it up to be fair for the common worker like you and me. I wish it was fair but it isn't.

One that thing helped me is the fact that when I go home with a smile on my face knowing I am a good person and I treat people well. I know that at some point it will catch up to my boss and he will realize that he should have treated people better. Until that time I will be the best damn sales manager I can. Sorry that wasn't a bit more positive. I really am.

If you ever need somebody to talk to or vent you can always PM me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2011, 03:26 AM
Its good you're doing well at your job, and it seems to me that raising this with the district manager or another higher up would be a good idea, so I say hang in there and hope this gets resolved soon. Clint may be a dick, but the others aren't, so its not all bad after all. Do your best, and remember you can always bad mouth him on the internet afterwards =P

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
04-03-2011, 03:39 AM

(04-03-2011 03:26 AM)daemonowner Wrote:  Its good you're doing well at your job, and it seems to me that raising this with the district manager or another higher up would be a good idea, so I say hang in there and hope this gets resolved soon. Clint may be a dick, but the others aren't, so its not all bad after all. Do your best, and remember you can always bad mouth him on the internet afterwards =P
Big Grin yes, and it helps Tongue
04-03-2011, 07:46 AM
(04-03-2011 02:43 AM)Diclonius Wrote:  So I took a 10, the entire 10 minutes of my break I spent crying because he had been harassing me most of the day.

Another time he threatened to write me up when I came in 15 minutes late because no one told me my schedule. Thankfully I came early to check and wasn't that late.
2 things:
1, If your supervisor is harassing you to the point that he is making you cry, this needs to be brought to his superior's immediately. People on the low end of the totem pole are indeed easily replaced, but there is no excuse for abusing somebody until they cry.

On the schedule note though, it is your schedule, and that is your responsibility. This can be easily avoided by calling or showing up to check it. If you show him/them that you are taking that responsibility he/they may take you more seriously.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
04-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Employee Rights Articles In Plain English

I'll presume you are in the U.S. and so know that this is an at will employment nation. Meaning you have the free right to choose to retain and/or remain employed.
You do not have the right to be abused by a Supervisor who's primary position is serving with his head firmly planted up his ass.

(((HUGS))) Heart You are worth far more than being disrespected, for dollars per hour. Smile

I would suggest that if you talk to the higher power, i.e. that supervisor who is your supervisors boss, that you put it in writing. Verbal communication is immediate and it feels like a relief to finally get things out in the open. However, you the complainant have no record of what transpired in that dialog. Things can be misconstrued, the higher supervisor can take things out of context or, worst case scenario, they can think the Ahole you're concerned about is the greatest guy because they're friends off the clock. And it's your permanent employment record that stands to retain any notes that any supervisor over you may wish to apply regarding your conduct and behavior. Especially bringing your superior up for review due to his conduct.

I'd wait. I'd put my concerns in writing after I found the address of that higher supervisor and I'd send that letter certified mail with a return receipt (proof it was received by the supervisor at his address) requested. Adding restricted delivery to the letter, meaning the post office is obligated to make sure it is that supervisor alone who signs for it. (Keep a copy of any correspondence you draft, keep the receipts for mailing you receive from the post office and attach it to your letter copy).
I'd give it two weeks at maximum for the head supervisor to contact me regarding my concerns. If there was no response, in person, (If by phone make certain you note the date and time of the call, the phone number from whence it arrives, on a separate sheet of paper and add that to your paperwork that you're already collecting regarding your address of concern in this matter.), I'd then contact corporate. (Or if your business is owned as a franchise, research and find the franchise owner and contact them and the corporation as well.) I'd send a copy of that copy of the original letter I forwarded to my head supervisor, along with copies of the postal receipts to both addresses. (Corporate and/or franchise and corporate)

And I'd wait. If that didn't work, I'd know where to go next because I read the articles that give insight in that regard, that was linked to this reply first thing.
And if I really had a wild hair, (I have many) , I'd have purchased a very discreet recording device that I could activate if/when the Ahole supervisor chose to harass me again or, if you do contact his superior, address me regarding that issue. (LINK)
But first, I'd check this link and find out what the law says about that in my State.

[Image: 5192791.jpg]
04-03-2011, 02:36 PM
I have a slightly different take on this. My experience in the work force is that complaints, even valid complaints and complaints about violations of your rights, are rarely rewarded. The job market is very much a buyers market right now and I'd be careful about rocking the boat. If they don't take your side, you've potentially got a much bigger problem. There is a difference between your text book rights and your real-world reality. Sometimes you have to suck things up or look for a new job.

I'm a big believer in picking my fights carefully. I'm never afraid to defend myself when I think I've been wronged, but sometimes putting food on the table takes precedence. I guess it depends on how bad the situation. If it's so bad you can't live with it then complain. However, if your discomfort with this jackass is dwarfed by your need for the job, then I think you just deal with it.

One other thought: Clint sounds to me like the classic bully. You run into people like this all the time; small people with a little bit of power and a massive chip on their shoulder. People like that hold grudges. Just something to consider.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
04-03-2011, 04:40 PM

(04-03-2011 02:36 PM)BnW Wrote:  One other thought: Clint sounds to me like the classic bully. You run into people like this all the time; small people with a little bit of power and a massive chip on their shoulder. People like that hold grudges. Just something to consider.
Excellent point.
Way to take all the fun out of the postering, but excellent point.
Of course, there's always a solution if Clint did decide to take it to a grudge level. Tongue

[Image: 5195749.jpg]

04-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Everywhere you go, there are jerks. One very good way to deal with it is to remind yourself that they (people like Clint) are jerks and they were jerks before you ever met them and they will be jerks long after the last time you ever see them.

Their behavior is a result of their personalities and has absolutely nothing to do with you. You just happen to be in range of their BS.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
04-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Go talk to his boss and see if anythings changes. If not it maybe time to find another job. I am sorry but maybe the only option.

I was once fired because my DM didn't like me even though I had a full support of the staff. My DM could not find any faults, he wrote me up, but corrected my mistakes.

So he found a reason. He fired because I was 10 bucks over my deposit.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user