A lot of talk about nothing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2010, 04:56 PM

Brick A lot of talk about nothing
Why do you think, as atheists and especially atheists who are members of forums dedicated to atheism, that it very often appears that the predominant subject under discussion is religion?

[Image: atheismchristianitygodd.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2010, 05:26 PM

RE: A lot of talk about nothing
I don't get it. What else are we supposed to talk about on an atheist forum? Or are you being sarcastic?
16-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Actually, back in the days when real-time chatrooms were still in vogue, I used to frequent an atheist chat and was regularly disappointed that we DIDN'T discuss religion - unless a fundy xian was trolling the room.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2010, 11:08 PM

(16-10-2010 05:26 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  I don't get it. What else are we supposed to talk about on an atheist forum? Or are you being sarcastic?
Tongue

A friend of mine PM'd me, as they're a member of a different atheist forum, and asked the question of me after noting the number of those such posts, so I thought I'd pass it along since it is a relevant question, after all.

No god exists, so what's there to talk about? Wink
17-10-2010, 12:09 AM
(16-10-2010 11:08 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  No god exists, so what's there to talk about? Wink

The reason we talk about god is because of the repression placed upon us by those who believe in a god or gods. We need to deal with this repression. If they just believed and let us be, didn't indoctrinate children, start wars, dehumanise others and screw with the education system etc, then we wouldn't need to deal with them, and we wouldn't need forums like this.
17-10-2010, 08:50 AM

(17-10-2010 12:09 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(16-10-2010 11:08 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  No god exists, so what's there to talk about? Wink

The reason we talk about god is because of the repression placed upon us by those who believe in a god or gods. We need to deal with this repression. If they just believed and let us be, didn't indoctrinate children, start wars, dehumanise others and screw with the education system etc, then we wouldn't need to deal with them, and we wouldn't need forums like this.

Beautifully said. Smile
17-10-2010, 11:00 AM

I think that voicing doubts out loud (even virtually) is a good way to clarify our own thinking. I still feel the need to justify my atheism (or at least I need some good ways to explain it all the damn time) so a forum like this provides good, sound, logical explanations for the questions that inundate us from the outside.

And it's great to know that we're not alone in our frustration with what we see going on around us, much of which is caused by fundamentalist idiots.
17-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Quote:Why do you think, as atheists and especially atheists who are members of forums dedicated to atheism, that it very often appears that the predominant subject under discussion is religion?

Quote:Now protesting is partially constructive, since it preserves some semblance of will by asserting it negatively - I know what I am against even if I cannot specifically know what I am for... But if wil remails protest, it stays dependent on that which it is protesting against. Protest is half-developed will. Dependent, like the child on parents, it borrows its impetus from its enemy. This gradually empties the will of content; you are always the shadow of your adversary, waiting for him to move so that you can move yourself. Sooner or later, your will becomes hollow, and may then be forced back to the next line of defense.

The next defence is projection of blame... We have tacitly given the power of decision over to our adversary. Blaming the enemy implies that the enemy has the freedom to choose and act, not ourselves, and we can only react to him. This assumption, in turn, destroys our own security. For in the long run, we have, against our intention, given him all the cards. Will is thus further undermined. We see here an example of the self-contradictory effect of all psychological defensiveness: it automatically hands the power over to the adversary.
-Rollo May, PhD, "Love and Will," pages 192-193.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
17-10-2010, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2010 03:33 PM by No J..)
(17-10-2010 11:00 AM)athnostic Wrote:  I think that voicing doubts out loud (even virtually) is a good way to clarify our own thinking.

Yes, it definitely is a proven way to do that.
(17-10-2010 11:00 AM)athnostic Wrote:  And it's great to know that we're not alone in our frustration with what we see going on around us, much of which is caused by fundamentalist idiots.

Yep. Like the saying goes, "You can't soar with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys."
18-10-2010, 08:32 AM

This topic is clearly related to the one about debunking religion, in which I suggested that there were several reasons to make the effort:

Quote:Debunking along these general lines via various public media (including here, of course) accomplishes several useful things:

1. It exposes those beliefs for what they truly are, for all participants to see (if they choose to open their eyes)
2. It helps rational people to learn about and understand the arguments for and against theism
3. It helps isolated atheists know that there are others who are of like mind and reject theism
4. It can serve as a point of departure for atheists to interact with theists (like Barley)
5. It can catalyze efforts to prevent the intrusion of religion into public life

Yes, most of us in this forum already acknowledge that religion is mostly empty vapor, but I believe we are served by making ourselves aware of the arguments pro and con. As has been shown, atheists know more about religion than most theists - hence, religion is by far the prevalent topic on an atheist site, no? Generally, we atheists know more about our theist adversaries than they know about us!