A max. satellite communication distance?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2015, 10:19 PM
RE: A max. satellite communication distance?
(25-08-2015 09:03 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 09:01 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Superman's adversaries being a Dell Comics construct, I'd be more worried about loss of satellite communications from a nuclear burst. Though I hear that the MILSTAR and AEHF satellites are nuclear-hardened.

Consider

I thought EMP only propagated through atmosphere?

Also... a human nuke would seem pretty tame compared to what that little ball of fusion called the 'Sun' is putting out... Consider

No, an EMP can travel through space as well, since it is just electromagnetic radiation. In fact, CMEs are a major source of interference in satellite communications-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_mass_ejection

In actuality, not all that different from an EMP in the man-made sense, just made by the sun. As was mentioned, human-made nukes have proximity going for them. That ~93 M miles from the sun is still trouble for satellites, they "suffer" and sometimes die from the radiation. In fact, satellite lifetime, after on-board fuel considerations, usually depends on the amount of protective metal they have as shielding from that "little ball of fusion". As I am sure you are aware, that radiation is immense. Consider that one can get a sunburn in an exposure time as small as 1/2 hour, and that the sun is ~93 M miles away, and that you intercept an incredibly small amount of that energy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply