A message from Seth
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2013, 06:25 PM
A message from Seth
The following is a message from Seth to the forum:

To my friends in the TTA forum:

I’ve been made aware of the recent controversy regarding a thread titled “Pedophilia,” and I want to address it.

In the era of the ban-hammer, I tend to shy away from forbidding or banning any people or topics who post unpopular opinions and perspectives, as even the most distasteful of notions usually deserves the right to be heard, even if only to be rejected and rebuked.

In our free nation, we abide the bitter diatribes of the Klu Klux Klan under the First Amendment, because free speech must cover more than just what is palatable, or moral, or popular, or right. It must cover the best AND the worst.

I don’t see the forum or social media pages as a First Amendment haven, nor have I surrendered my right to set a specific tempo for the community. I do, however, allow many unpleasant and indefensible ideas to be presented so that they can be seen, absorbed and ultimately given the white-hot light of scrutiny that the skeptical community is so well known for. In almost all cases, the good men, women and youth of the TTA community actually provide the rebukes, the refutations and the outrage these bitter pills deserve.

In a rare case, though, I do step in and pull the plug. TTA’s forum is a place of discussion, yes, and free discussion at that. However, is it NOT required to pander to everyone and everything that comes along, and ultimately, it exists to provide conversation, support, encouragement, information and community to the atheist, the agnostic, the freethinker.

In a world where the non-believer is treated as caricature, as the monster, as the outcast, The Thinking Atheist is a safe place. And I’ll do whatever is necessary to preserve this.

Regarding the recent “Pedophilia” thread, I’m not opposed to discussion on a very controversial topic. I am, however, opposed to the disruption, distrust and dismay it has caused so many TTA forum users, as many of them have come from histories of sexual abuse themselves. I also consider this particular thread a distraction from our larger purpose – providing community, and as pedophilia targets the young and vulnerable in an illegal attempt to take advantage of innocence for adult sexual gratification, I have no intention of allowing it to continue.

This forum doesn’t need or want a thread on pedophilia, unless that thread is dedicated solely to its exposure and eradication and the prosecution of its offenders. To reiterate, TTA is a place for discussion on so many things, but for my part, on moral grounds, I see this issue as beyond discussion. I see it as settled. Pedophilia is an immoral, illegal act of abuse against a minor. Period. End of story.

For those seeking to understand what pedophilia is, how it propagates, how it can be treated, etc, there are much more qualified places than TTA for those conversations to be had, most of them hard-wired into the community of physical and psychological medicine. Those conversations don’t belong here, as they create so many more problems than they can solve in this particular venue.

The bottom line: I’m striking any and all threads regarding pedophilia from this forum, and I’m asking my admins to be an extension of that edict from this day forward. Any posts promoting or discussing at-length the sexual abuse of children will be removed and those behind those posts may be banned in short order. I cannot stress this more clearly.

To the good people of this community, I thank you for your participation, for your support, for your sharp minds and sharp wit, and for providing that much-needed safe place in a world of superstitious nonsense. In this vein, it is my hope that TTA can move forward from this one issue, refocus and rededicate itself to being the family it has been for so long.

Thank you for everything you are. You’re making a difference from without and within, and I’m honored to be in your company.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 25 users Like Hughsie's post
07-07-2013, 06:28 PM
RE: A message from Seth
(07-07-2013 06:25 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  The following is a message from Seth to the forum:

To my friends in the TTA forum:

I’ve been made aware of the recent controversy regarding a thread titled “Pedophilia,” and I want to address it.

In the era of the ban-hammer, I tend to shy away from forbidding or banning any people or topics who post unpopular opinions and perspectives, as even the most distasteful of notions usually deserves the right to be heard, even if only to be rejected and rebuked.

In our free nation, we abide the bitter diatribes of the Klu Klux Klan under the First Amendment, because free speech must cover more than just what is palatable, or moral, or popular, or right. It must cover the best AND the worst.

I don’t see the forum or social media pages as a First Amendment haven, nor have I surrendered my right to set a specific tempo for the community. I do, however, allow many unpleasant and indefensible ideas to be presented so that they can be seen, absorbed and ultimately given the white-hot light of scrutiny that the skeptical community is so well known for. In almost all cases, the good men, women and youth of the TTA community actually provide the rebukes, the refutations and the outrage these bitter pills deserve.

In a rare case, though, I do step in and pull the plug. TTA’s forum is a place of discussion, yes, and free discussion at that. However, is it NOT required to pander to everyone and everything that comes along, and ultimately, it exists to provide conversation, support, encouragement, information and community to the atheist, the agnostic, the freethinker.

In a world where the non-believer is treated as caricature, as the monster, as the outcast, The Thinking Atheist is a safe place. And I’ll do whatever is necessary to preserve this.

Regarding the recent “Pedophilia” thread, I’m not opposed to discussion on a very controversial topic. I am, however, opposed to the disruption, distrust and dismay it has caused so many TTA forum users, as many of them have come from histories of sexual abuse themselves. I also consider this particular thread a distraction from our larger purpose – providing community, and as pedophilia targets the young and vulnerable in an illegal attempt to take advantage of innocence for adult sexual gratification, I have no intention of allowing it to continue.

This forum doesn’t need or want a thread on pedophilia, unless that thread is dedicated solely to its exposure and eradication and the prosecution of its offenders. To reiterate, TTA is a place for discussion on so many things, but for my part, on moral grounds, I see this issue as beyond discussion. I see it as settled. Pedophilia is an immoral, illegal act of abuse against a minor. Period. End of story.

For those seeking to understand what pedophilia is, how it propagates, how it can be treated, etc, there are much more qualified places than TTA for those conversations to be had, most of them hard-wired into the community of physical and psychological medicine. Those conversations don’t belong here, as they create so many more problems than they can solve in this particular venue.

The bottom line: I’m striking any and all threads regarding pedophilia from this forum, and I’m asking my admins to be an extension of that edict from this day forward. Any posts promoting or discussing at-length the sexual abuse of children will be removed and those behind those posts may be banned in short order. I cannot stress this more clearly.

To the good people of this community, I thank you for your participation, for your support, for your sharp minds and sharp wit, and for providing that much-needed safe place in a world of superstitious nonsense. In this vein, it is my hope that TTA can move forward from this one issue, refocus and rededicate itself to being the family it has been for so long.

Thank you for everything you are. You’re making a difference from without and within, and I’m honored to be in your company.

There we go. A decision.

Would have much preferred a more "Softer" approach to it, but whatever. It still gets the issue over with.

So that's "Free Speech" except for pedophilia. That's cool.

Not saying I agree with it, just saying that it is law now, and I can't complain.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
07-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Thank you! Thank you very much.

That is all. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
07-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Does that mean that the two users are going to get banned?

07-07-2013, 06:31 PM
(07-07-2013 06:28 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  There we go. A decision.

Would have much preferred a more "Softer" approach to it, but whatever. It still gets the issue over with.

Not saying I agree with it, just saying that it is law now, and I can't complain.

As far as I'm concerned it's still free speech (and we'll still have further bust ups over that as before, I'm sure of that), just with an amendment on the discuss of paedophilia. I'll write one as soon as I hear back from Seth on where the line is drawn, personally I see no problem with the frequent threads commenting on RCC abuse scandals but I wanna make sure I know exactly where Seth stands before I say they are OK.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
07-07-2013, 06:33 PM
(07-07-2013 06:30 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Does that mean that the two users are going to get banned?

Not as far as I'm aware.

Best
Worst
07-07-2013, 06:36 PM
(07-07-2013 06:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  Thank you! Thank you very much.

That is all. Smile

Hey, no hard feelings, Dom. I know things got heated, but it was never personal. The only one that I will continue to dislike is a user I will not mention.

(Don't worry, it's not Anjele, I like her too, even if her care was misplaced. Its not Deep either.)

All I was doing was trying to those who were unfairly treated, and balance the scaled between emotions and rationality.

The new edict is a solution, but its not the solution I wanted. Congratulations on the "win." A win I never really cared to have, I was just arguing in defense of two people who were jumped on unfairly, and free speech.

And no, I will not cry over this, mostly because it was a topic that divided too many people, and caused emotions. I will be disappointed that we couldn't have at least tried to reach for a compromise.

There, I have said my peace. I am done.

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
07-07-2013, 06:37 PM
(07-07-2013 06:31 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 06:28 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  There we go. A decision.

As far as I'm concerned it's still free speech (and we'll still have further bust ups over that as before, I'm sure of that), just with an amendment on the discuss of paedophilia. I'll write one as soon as I hear back from Seth on where the line is drawn, personally I see no problem with the frequent threads commenting on RCC abuse scandals but I wanna make sure I know exactly where Seth stands before I say they are OK.

By definition, it is still limiting the free speech, but it is by no means "no speech."

I understand the difference, and I have no problemo with it.

07-07-2013, 06:37 PM
As a brand new member, who could not leave the "new threads" page open on my home computer, because of that thread.....
I thank you!

Bob T.

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
[+] 3 users Like Bob T's post
07-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Hughsie,
Is it safe to assume that the support section is still open for victims?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Thread Closed