A message from Seth
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 03:41 PM
RE: A message from Seth
What the fuck has happened to this place??? I'm unsure on if its me as a person that has changed or if its events happening here, or a mixture of both that makes me look at this place and wonder what it is that makes me post here still.

Gonna "dig" the time capsule up early and fuck off for a bit, hopefully if I return in the future things will be bit more "normal".

Laters.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 03:41 PM
(08-07-2013 11:04 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:43 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  I get that. But this isn't about purpose. This is purely about freedom of speech.

So in your case, you are an advocate for freedom of speech, but you have your limitations. Spam and trolling are two of them.

It's always about purpose, every right has limitations, and those limitations are based on the purpose of the right to begin with. Freedom of speech is supposed to allow people to claim a space to speak without fearing negative consequences (in our case banning), but it's there so polemic ideas can be discussed without others blocking them, so it's about avoiding oppression and allowing diversity, because that's a positive thing.

Now trolls and spammes, by definition, aren't trying to debate or discuss an idea, the intention of the speech itself is to either incite discord or to flood the forum with unwanted advertisement.

The trolls is the most delicate kind to deal with, and we allow a great deal of trolling here because of that, and it's good imo.

I don't think that the pedos were promoting pedophilia, it's not the way I interpreted them. Promoting pedophilia is bad. But discussing it: trying to better define it, finding what constitutes consent, what's the best age to allow consent, or, in general, better understand the grey areas that we can find in the topic is not the same.

I understand that it can be too hard for some to have that kind of debate, and I respect the decision to limit it so we can talk about everything else. But it's a limitation to free speech that fails the very purpose of that right in my opinion, and that's why I think it's not entirely good.

Of course this is not real life and we have a different set of rules, I get that, that's why I respect the decision.

No, you still don't get it. You need to take your defensive barriers down for a second and listen to me...

What I meant by THIS DISCUSSION isn't about purpose. This discussion as in my questioning of the consistency of the freedom of speech crowd.

The way you guys defend freedom of speech is absolute. It's so absolute for one individual that he left this forum. If it is absolute freedom of speech you are defending, then you must allow spam and trolling regardless of its PURPOSE. Or else you are picking and choosing. You are picking and choosing what has purpose and what doesn't TO YOU. Because that spammer and troll definitely have a purpose. At minimum they are satisfying their own boredom. Most likely, they get off on annoying people and seeing the reactions they can garner.

Of course I personally find trolling and spamming pointless. That's why I'm okay with banning them. But I'm consistent. I'm okay with banning pedophilia topics as well. I'm okay with putting restrictions on freedom of speech... ONLY ON AN INTERNET FORUM though. No such restrictions should ever be made in the real world.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
08-07-2013, 03:51 PM
(08-07-2013 03:41 PM)bemore Wrote:  What the fuck has happened to this place??? I'm unsure on if its me as a person that has changed or if its events happening here, or a mixture of both that makes me look at this place and wonder what it is that makes me post here still.

Gonna "dig" the time capsule up early and fuck off for a bit, hopefully if I return in the future things will be bit more "normal".

Laters.

I hope you come back soon dude.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
08-07-2013, 04:37 PM
(08-07-2013 03:41 PM)bemore Wrote:  What the fuck has happened to this place??? I'm unsure on if its me as a person that has changed or if its events happening here, or a mixture of both that makes me look at this place and wonder what it is that makes me post here still.

Laters.

What exactly are you upset about?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
08-07-2013, 04:48 PM
1) This place NEVER had unlimited free speech so please stop acting like it did

2) For me, this was half about the emotions it dragged out of people and half about what this forum was potentially about to represent. Unlimited free speech has a price both in the real world and a forum. The problem on the forum side is that it could destroy the community. It could destroy the good name of TTA. How far will you let "unlimited" free speech on this forum go? What if we got a flood of afflicted individuals posting their graphic stories? What about racists? I find it hard to believe that you guys wouldn't draw the line somewhere.

3) I wouldn't quit this forum either way. I do participate in other forums. Quitting this forum over this minor limitation on "free speech" is lame.

I don't know if some of you are placing me on your shit list, but I really harbor no ill-feelings towards any of you. I have a need to debate. I have a need to push people's rationale to the limits. This is my way of trying to understand your positions.

As it stands now, I still don't get the "unlimited free speech" stance that some of you are defending. This forum never even had that. You just find this particular issue of free speech worth defending. You're not actually defending the right itself.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
08-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Laters.

I kinda feel the same way, but I know I haven't changed. Still, it's just phase that is going to pass and go back to normal; by my own experience at least.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
08-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Give everyone some time to let their steam out and cool down; don't bite into a hot pocket directly after you take it out of the microwave. That shit is not good. In a week or two, everything will be fine and back to normal - or as normal as it was - before all of this came about.

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
08-07-2013, 05:04 PM
(08-07-2013 05:02 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  don't bite into a hot pocket directly after you take it out of the microwave.

Now you're making me hungry. I would kill for a hot pocket right now. Sad

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
08-07-2013, 05:10 PM
(08-07-2013 05:02 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Give everyone some time to let their steam out and cool down; don't bite into a hot pocket directly after you take it out of the microwave. That shit is not good. In a week or two, everything will be fine and back to normal - or as normal as it was - before all of this came about.

Hug

I don't bite into hot pockets period. Pukappotomus.

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
08-07-2013, 05:15 PM
(08-07-2013 05:10 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  I don't bite into hot pockets period. Pukappotomus.

Hot pockets are nice. Only weenies don't like hot pockets.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
Thread Closed