A message from Seth
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 10:15 PM
RE: A message from Seth
(08-07-2013 10:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 09:58 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Pfft... no thanks. I strive for a rivalry like Superman vs Lex Luthor... Like Spiderman vs Venom...

Most of all, a rivalry like Woof vs Muffs.

Spiderman and Venom are friends now. They hate Carnage.

No one cares about the Flash Gordon, gun toting Venom.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 10:17 PM
(08-07-2013 10:15 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Spiderman and Venom are friends now. They hate Carnage.

No one cares about the Flash Gordon, gun toting Venom.

Flash had a theme song by Queen. That automatically trumps Venom.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
08-07-2013, 10:20 PM
(08-07-2013 10:17 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:15 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  No one cares about the Flash Gordon, gun toting Venom.

Flash had a theme song by Queen. That automatically trumps Venom.

This is no way to continue a rivalry. You're supposed to attack me.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
08-07-2013, 10:26 PM
(08-07-2013 10:20 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:17 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Flash had a theme song by Queen. That automatically trumps Venom.

This is no way to continue a rivalry. You're supposed to attack me.

Ahhh nothing like a Chistian that can end atheist conflict by becoming their fodder.

Thumbsup

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
08-07-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm not bothered anyway. I don't make enemies. I destroy them.

Makes a good sound bite anyhow. Honestly, I am incapable of caring less. I'm too laid back to be someone's rival. At least under normal circumstances. Maybe if I found out he was Asian or something, but that's be the only way.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
09-07-2013, 04:07 AM
I didn't wanted to react at first. However, I became pretty emotional watching this thread. A few things got more clear and I calmed down, few things I felt the need to react to got a reaction from other people, but I still feel to say a few thing. My current intention is to make this post my last about this.

First, I have to say, I am pretty disappointed. I am disappointed that the discussion was deleted, especially because there were some reasonable discussion by other members which are probably not pedophiles, that's quite a rare thing. However, I am disappointed the most by the post by Seth here.

First, I understand this is a private website and it's up to the owner what he want to have here on not. (Unless he made some obligation.) I understand, that some people don't feel comfortable about the topic and it's up to the owner to decide, what is the most important for him.

However, I am pretty disappointed by this:
(07-07-2013 06:25 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  The following is a message from Seth to the forum:
This forum doesn’t need or want a thread on pedophilia, unless that thread is dedicated solely to its exposure and eradication and the prosecution of its offenders. To reiterate, TTA is a place for discussion on so many things, but for my part, on moral grounds, I see this issue as beyond discussion. I see it as settled. Pedophilia is an immoral, illegal act of abuse against a minor. Period. End of story.

It gives me the feeling, that the head admin hear haven't even read the discussion and maybe he doesn't know, what was the discussion about. Also it says that he is ignorant about the psychological definitions of pedophilia and that he is completely fine with the tabloid definitions. It's definitely not something I would expect from someone who call himself The Thinking Atheist. Also it worries me, because it sounds like that one-sided discussion about certain topic is allowed. (Some other posts here says it's not, well, we will see. It sounded like at first and it got me pretty angry.)

It seemed, that the discussion on these topics may start again, for example in this thread, but it seems that moderators take actions to prevent such discussion. (Actually, there are post that deserves reaction, but currently I am decided not to react to them. One of them made me pretty upset yesterday, considering what the decision of head admin was.) I personally won't start any such discussion, however, if such discussion started, I might feel the need to react on the claims I find incorrect or misleading. If such situation occurs, admins can choose to selectively delete/ban one side, in such case I wouldn't continue in such attempts, however, I think such selective actions would heavily damage the reputation of this forum.

Also, maybe Seth should delete also a part of my profile info, so there is officially no pedophile here.

It seems, that the part for the support of victims of sexual abuse stays here, which is good, it would be incredibly stupid, if it was taken away.

I wrote a my view on the things that happened here on our forum, if someone is interested, I can give him a link in a PM. Also, I asked our members not to post anything about pedophilia here.

I understand some people are worried here about the freedom of speech here. I agree with the viewpoints, that spamming, trolling and hate speech shouldn't be allowed, but that moderators shouldn't use their privileges too often. They shouldn't let trolls to make a reasonable discussion unreadable. I also have to admit, that there are some things I would have problem with, like propagation of racism (even if it was free of hate speech). It's hard to decide what to do with such topics, maybe the first choice should be fight them by argumentation and delete the post or ban the poster only if it's obvious, that he isn't discussing, but only heavily propagating.

Banning one topic probably won't have a serious impact on the freedom of speech perception here, however, a lot of people here will be pretty sensitive about any other limitation of free speech. Banning a few other topics would probably have a very significant impact.

I think topics like pedophilia and other sexualities should be discussed and I think there should be a place for that at atheistic forums, considering the religious dogmatism on these topics. Also the sexual abuse and the problematic of sexual offenders should be discussed, because the impact these problems have on the society. Avoiding open-minded discussion on such topics can lead to ineffective or even harmful decisions.

I am probably not going to leave this forum completely, I'll probably read some experience of atheists from strongly religious countries, because I don't have personal experience with this and I am interested in the problematic of religious oppression. However, I am not going to actively contribute to this forum (and I am sure a lot of people here aren't disappointed by that at all).

(08-07-2013 06:35 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  3. It was quite popular, but the majority of the posts were from other users either bashing the OP, defending him from other users, and debating whether or not the topic is discussable or not. In other words, the OP barely had any involvement in the thread itself.
Maybe after the page 20 or so. I had a pretty long initial post and then mostly reactions to other people, I had some very long replies. I'll add that the thread got somewhat derailed and the topic, that was discussed a lot was the same that is going on here - what is acceptable to post and what admins and moderators should do.

(08-07-2013 08:18 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Wait, are priest pedo jokes off the table as well? I ain't trying to be controversial, just want to clarify the censorship rule.

It's important to clarify the new rule pretty precisely.

I wanted to say thank to a few people (they'll probably know) and to say, that if anyone, who is interested in discussion, can contact me privately.

Also I should thank to Seth for hosting a place for atheists and to people who keeps this forum working. It's not an easy think, it requires a lot of time and money.
09-07-2013, 04:48 AM
I think that if you want to discuss your sexual preferences, you are free to do it on ANY other forum on this planet Earth. This is and always has bee religious/anti-religious forum and it was and always shall be it's primary theme.

You just stop worrying about our terrible censorship, it has happened and it is here to stay. There will be no more themes like that one and that is final. Seriously, you were not banned, but this subject has been closed and will not start again.

Free speech or no-free speech, this forum (as well as any other) must maintain some moderation and must censor some thing from time to time, just to keep the forum going.

You, mr. simgiran, may ask for some things to change after you earn your place. With your extra short history, small number of posts, terrible rep and stupid choice of themes, you do not really account for anything.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
09-07-2013, 04:51 AM
As far as I can see, there is no longer a discussion. Seth's ultimate decision decided that. Be quiet Simgiran, your views are clearly not accepted.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
09-07-2013, 04:59 AM
You know what I find ridiculous Logica? The guy appears in here a few weeks ago, starts the most painful theme for some people and then has the nerves to act all righteous and telling us how he is disappointed. Disappointed? After he made 30 posts here? I lived here for 2+ years and I still don't ask or demand anything. If I don't like it, I will leave.

The nerves of some people...

Quote: am probably not going to leave this forum completely, I'll probably read some experience of atheists from strongly religious countries, because I don't have personal experience with this and I am interested in the problematic of religious oppression. However, I am not going to actively contribute to this forum (and I am sure a lot of people here aren't disappointed by that at all).

Like he contributed so much up until now...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
09-07-2013, 05:04 AM
I don't think he's asking for anything to be changed; just responding, and he waited until his emotions subsided. He presented his thoughts calmly & respectfully & I don't get the impression that he plans to belabour anything. I agree with Seth's decision in this matter, but don't see anything wrong with how simgiran chose to express his thoughts about it.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed