A message from Seth
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2013, 08:04 AM
RE: A message from Seth
(09-07-2013 08:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 07:51 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Why is morond a rainbow?

I asked to step down Smile Well I didn't ask Tongue I *declared* I was stepping down. Various reasons - all minor but if I add them up it turns out I felt like it was time to move on - I've been thinking about it for quite a long time. I thought the reorganization that Hughsie's been talking about with KC being administratorized was probably a good time.
Liking ur colours, sweetie. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
09-07-2013, 08:10 AM
(09-07-2013 08:04 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Liking ur colours, sweetie. Big Grin

Yeah Big Grin Such a bonus. There'd be a better mod retention rate if they made the ex-staff group the colour of poo or something Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
09-07-2013, 08:19 AM
I'm beginning to realize that I'm not really sure what the complaints are about what happened.

What I have gathered so far is that Smidgiren (or whatever) is unhappy about his thread having been censored. Anyone else on that side? Why do you think the censorship was unfair?

For those on the other side of censoring the thread (aka removing it), was the decision necessarily subjective? Or was Seth stepping in the objective decision?

If the decision to censor it was subjective, I could see how people might have a problem with it (for any given topic), but on the other hand, this is a forum Seth started and still has the masterkey for. So, what he says goes. But that too could be seen as problematic if someone is just seen as having unlimited power. The point worth making there seems to be that this is the first time I can ever think of that Seth intervened in a way that included censoring anything on the forum.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
09-07-2013, 08:26 AM
(09-07-2013 08:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 07:51 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Why is morond a rainbow?

I asked to step down Smile Well I didn't ask Tongue I *declared* I was stepping down. Various reasons - all minor but if I add them up it turns out I felt like it was time to move on - I've been thinking about it for quite a long time. I thought the reorganization that Hughsie's been talking about with KC being administratorized was probably a good time.

Oh c'mon now... I'm not THAT bad am I? Weeping

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
09-07-2013, 08:29 AM
(09-07-2013 08:26 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 08:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  I asked to step down Smile Well I didn't ask Tongue I *declared* I was stepping down. Various reasons - all minor but if I add them up it turns out I felt like it was time to move on - I've been thinking about it for quite a long time. I thought the reorganization that Hughsie's been talking about with KC being administratorized was probably a good time.

Oh c'mon now... I'm not THAT bad am I? Weeping
It's hard to say, KC... you're just so LIKEABLE! Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
09-07-2013, 09:11 AM
(09-07-2013 08:26 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Oh c'mon now... I'm not THAT bad am I? Weeping

Jesus no! I think you'll be great as admin. Even more so 'cos we'll routinely accuse you of theistic bias so you'll have to go outta your way to crap all over theists to show your fairness Big Grin Mind you, you do that on your own anyway and it's hilarious Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
09-07-2013, 09:24 AM
(08-07-2013 11:48 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I'm not bothered anyway. I don't make enemies. I destroy them.

Makes a good sound bite anyhow. Honestly, I am incapable of caring less. I'm too laid back to be someone's rival. At least under normal circumstances. Maybe if I found out he was Asian or something, but that's be the only way.

It's all good. Though I don't share your patience. One of my many flaws.

Hey, you and I always have beer in common.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
09-07-2013, 09:28 AM
(09-07-2013 08:19 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The point worth making there seems to be that this is the first time I can ever think of that Seth intervened in a way that included censoring anything on the forum.

I think in the end it was a necessary intervention. We were not solving the problem on our own and the forum was getting torn apart over the issue...
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
09-07-2013, 09:33 AM
(09-07-2013 09:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 08:19 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The point worth making there seems to be that this is the first time I can ever think of that Seth intervened in a way that included censoring anything on the forum.

I think in the end it was a necessary intervention. We were not solving the problem on our own and the forum was getting torn apart over the issue...

I'm not disagreeing with censoring a thread on a topic like pedophilia, but the notion that any thread should be censored for creating some rift on the forum is a shitty excuse. I mean, how many threads have been started about I & I and whether or not to censor him or move his threads that have created tension on the forum?

I just don't think using the excuse of "creating tension on the forums" is a good one. Tension has been created over threads about guns and the holocaust and the like. Doesn't mean those threads should have been shut down.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
09-07-2013, 09:44 AM
(09-07-2013 09:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 09:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think in the end it was a necessary intervention. We were not solving the problem on our own and the forum was getting torn apart over the issue...

I'm not disagreeing with censoring a thread on a topic like pedophilia, but the notion that any thread should be censored for creating some rift on the forum is a shitty excuse. I mean, how many threads have been started about I & I and whether or not to censor him or move his threads that have created tension on the forum?

I just don't think using the excuse of "creating tension on the forums" is a good one. Tension has been created over threads about guns and the holocaust and the like. Doesn't mean those threads should have been shut down.

I've pointed this out though. We all know that children tug on our emotional strings differently. Not only that, this wasn't a case of someone standing on the outside with an opinion on a subject. This involved people that were living with the subject their whole lives. This is why a rift was formed. Some viewed it as an opportunity to get an inside look at the disorder. For others, very unfortunately, memories they did not want we're resurrected.

The issue got even further out of hand when one of the subjects posted a very detailed story about someone in their support group. Then yet another said, in a hypothetical scenario, something that included the words "your daughter." In yet another instance, a picture of a baptized baby was posted and one of those afflicted subjects commented with I think something along the lines of "That's. wonderful picture."

We can't expect people to stay calm and collected with these things happening. It's an emotionally charged topic. Very unique as well because of the people that admitted to things.

I don't think there was a proper solution to this. But I think the decision Seth made was the lesser of the evils.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like NoahsFarce's post
Thread Closed