A message from Seth
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2013, 10:22 AM
RE: A message from Seth
I think we are all adult enough to see when there are actual real casualties by something and when there is just bitching.

If it causes actual harm to a sizeable segment of the membership ( a VERY large part of the population has been sexually abused, and PTS is not just a bad memory, it is ALWAYS associated with severe consequences for that person's life when triggered.) then the community needs to take responsibility for that.

If it is just bitching, maybe admin can just talk to the person triggering the disagreement and ask them to quit attacking people or creating too many threads or whatever the beef is.

I think everyone here is able to see the difference between a serious situation and a bitch fest.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
09-07-2013, 10:30 AM
(09-07-2013 10:21 AM)morondog Wrote:  Yeah, I think in this particular instance it was a good thing... and ja, it wasn't the first thing people tried either. There was a long period of dialogue before things became out of hand...

And TBH it is Seth's brand so he *should* have the ability to be Daddy on his forum - that's *his* name associated with the brand.

Thats why I haven't complained at all about the decision. He's paying the bills and it's his name and Logo splashed on the top of this place so his word is law. I just worry that he is going to be contacted for every little thing for awhile in hopes of him coming in and playing superman, now that he has acted. I hope that the people here are mature enough to not do that but that is an unintended consequence that could arise.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-07-2013, 10:38 AM
(09-07-2013 10:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Thats why I haven't complained at all about the decision. He's paying the bills and it's his name and Logo splashed on the top of this place so his word is law. I just worry that he is going to be contacted for every little thing for awhile in hopes of him coming in and playing superman, now that he has acted. I hope that the people here are mature enough to not do that but that is an unintended consequence that could arise.

While I agree with you, I have to ask; is there a incantation I can use to summon Seth?

In all seriousness, it appears the only ones who can cast the summoning spell to bring forth Seth, is the mods. Thanks to that, I don't see a reason to worry about him being brought in more and more for every little thing as the mods have not shown to me that they are incapable of making decisions without his constant input.

[Image: 090523-longcat-summon.jpg]

[Image: atheistsignature.jpg]
09-07-2013, 10:38 AM
edit: In reply to the Rev: Yeah I share that fear old bean, I surely do... The Forces Of Right will just have to try and make sure that the situation don't arise Tongue
09-07-2013, 10:39 AM
(09-07-2013 10:38 AM)yumeji Wrote:  While I agree with you, I have to ask; is there a incantation I can use to summon Seth?

Email or facebook will do it...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
09-07-2013, 10:45 AM
(09-07-2013 10:01 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 09:53 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  This wasn't just a matter of "tension on the forum." It was much more than that. People were getting hurt. For real.

It was the right call.

People actually getting hurt by something is a genuine reason for removing content. But people keep throwing around this notion that if something creates a rift on the forum, then it is up for being removed. All I am saying is, there are a lot of subjects that will receive the same response and when they are not removed, people will get all up-in-arms again.

No, you misunderstand me. The rift isn't the reason I justify the censorship. I was just explaining why a rift was created to begin with. Also, I said the lesser of the evil options were chosen. This means that I recognize that rifts will also be created no matter what the decision.

So here's the deal. We had I think 2 members quit outright because of that thread. We had several more thinking about quitting. Now, after Seth's ruling, we had 1 member quit because of the ruling itself. Just 1 (that we know of).

Censorship or not, we lost members and had the potential to lose more. So far though, it turns out we have lost less after censorship.

But again, I don't think there was a magic solution to this. There are things I disagree with either way.

And I don't agree that other subjects bring up the same response. This incident involved childhood violations and people on this forum who were admitting to having fantasies about those types of violations.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
09-07-2013, 10:54 AM
(09-07-2013 10:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 10:38 AM)yumeji Wrote:  While I agree with you, I have to ask; is there a incantation I can use to summon Seth?

Email or facebook will do it...

Sacrificing a small goat doesn't hurt also.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
09-07-2013, 10:55 AM
(09-07-2013 10:45 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 10:01 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  People actually getting hurt by something is a genuine reason for removing content. But people keep throwing around this notion that if something creates a rift on the forum, then it is up for being removed. All I am saying is, there are a lot of subjects that will receive the same response and when they are not removed, people will get all up-in-arms again.

No, you misunderstand me. The rift isn't the reason I justify the censorship. I was just explaining why a rift was created to begin with. Also, I said the lesser of the evil options were chosen. This means that I recognize that rifts will also be created no matter what the decision.

So here's the deal. We had I think 2 members quit outright because of that thread. We had several more thinking about quitting. Now, after Seth's ruling, we had 1 member quit because of the ruling itself. Just 1 (that we know of).

Censorship or not, we lost members and had the potential to lose more. So far though, it turns out we have lost less after censorship.

But again, I don't think there was a magic solution to this. There are things I disagree with either way.

And I don't agree that other subjects bring up the same response. This incident involved childhood violations and people on this forum who were admitting to having fantasies about those types of violations.

Actually, we don't know yet how many members just turned off their computers and went to do something about the state they were in. We have no idea how many members we lost. I was PMing with several who wanted to leave and kept telling them to please wait - I was sure it would get sorted one way or another. It just took way long...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-07-2013, 10:56 AM
(09-07-2013 10:38 AM)yumeji Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 10:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Thats why I haven't complained at all about the decision. He's paying the bills and it's his name and Logo splashed on the top of this place so his word is law. I just worry that he is going to be contacted for every little thing for awhile in hopes of him coming in and playing superman, now that he has acted. I hope that the people here are mature enough to not do that but that is an unintended consequence that could arise.

While I agree with you, I have to ask; is there a incantation I can use to summon Seth?

In all seriousness, it appears the only ones who can cast the summoning spell to bring forth Seth, is the mods. Thanks to that, I don't see a reason to worry about him being brought in more and more for every little thing as the mods have not shown to me that they are incapable of making decisions without his constant input.

[Image: 090523-longcat-summon.jpg]

DOES NO ONE REMEMBER ME STARTING A THREAD ASKING ABOUT SETH AND HAVING HIM RESPOND TO ME PROMPTLY!?

Geez. Three years off and on, on this forum. No credit and miserable reps. It's cause I'm Asian isn't it?

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
09-07-2013, 10:56 AM
(09-07-2013 10:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 10:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  Email or facebook will do it...

Sacrificing a small goat doesn't hurt also.

Hey muffs, didn't we decide a sheep and two chickens were the most effective sacrifice? Or was it two sheep? Dammit! I can never remember the appropriate sacrifice!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
Thread Closed