A message from Seth
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 12:02 AM
RE: A message from Seth
(07-07-2013 11:54 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 11:35 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Thank Seth and the Flying Spaghetti Monster that this is finally an end to this chapter of issue Smile

Logisch? You're alive!?

He was as high as a paraglider.... Oh wait.Big Grin

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
08-07-2013, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 08:09 AM by Logisch.)
(08-07-2013 12:02 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 11:54 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Logisch? You're alive!?

He was as high as a paraglider.... Oh wait.Big Grin

Haha, yeah man! Flying season is in full gear! I am not terribly active lately, too busy enjoying the skies and watching the sun set from 5000ft Smile

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
08-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Cool man, just ain't seen you about in quite some time.

08-07-2013, 02:06 AM
Wow, so what the heck happened?
I remember seeing the topic get started.
I even remember posting about age of consent in different countries.
But I didn't pay much attention to the topic afterwards, and now this?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
08-07-2013, 02:40 AM
It was resolved by the HMFIC. That's it.

08-07-2013, 02:44 AM
A lot of you keep talking about “Free Speech” and go on and on and on. O.k., I agree Free Speech is nice, but that still doesn’t prevent someone from being needlessly hurt – and when people are being needlessly hurt, it should be stopped if the goal of the Forum is to help people.

Furthermore, I think there is eventually going to be some positive fallout from this episode. I mean, tracking that Pedo post got me thinking about all the times I have been an a__hole on this forum and should have just shut up – and I was being an a__hole because continuing the discussion wasn’t helping anyone, yet I wouldn’t quit or reassure anyone that I held no negative feelings for them! I am going to try not to do that in the future.

Peace.

Julius
[+] 4 users Like Julius's post
08-07-2013, 03:10 AM
(08-07-2013 02:44 AM)Julius Wrote:  A lot of you keep talking about “Free Speech” and go on and on and on. O.k., I agree Free Speech is nice, but that still doesn’t prevent someone from being needlessly hurt – and when people are being needlessly hurt, it should be stopped if the goal of the Forum is to help people.

Furthermore, I think there is eventually going to be some positive fallout from this episode. I mean, tracking that Pedo post got me thinking about all the times I have been an a__hole on this forum and should have just shut up – and I was being an a__hole because continuing the discussion wasn’t helping anyone, yet I wouldn’t quit or reassure anyone that I held no negative feelings for them! I am going to try not to do that in the future.

Peace.

Julius
The goal of the forum is not to help people. It is to discuss issues. Drinking Beverage

There is one section that can be said to have its goal to "help people."

Free Speech has no say in whether or not people get upset.

Let's be real here for a second: Do you think you should shut the fuck up, just because somebody has a bitch-fit over what you said? Even if what you said wasn't actually hurtful? No. I don't agree. I don't think that people should censor themselves on issues just because other people are upset about the discussion. The only time you should censor yourself is when 1.) You are spewing vitriolic hate and you need shut the fuck up about it, or 2.) Your post has absolutely no constructive value.

None of those two requirements were met, even if people got upset. And that's the issue I have with it. If I post a thread about the holocaust being fake, and a jewish person posts that it is very upsetting that I think that, should I simply shut the fuck up about it, even if I seriously wanted to express my opinion? Fuck no, its not OK to censor or a topic just because it upsets you. But, its my opinion, and it is not law, that's just how I see it.

The only reason you should shut the fuck up is if you are spewing hate, or threats, or spam, as I find those three as actual reasons to ban/censor. Hate because it isn't constructive and its intention is to harm the person that the speech is directed at, Threats because of the same thing, and Spam because it adds absolutely nothing, and is posted merely to advertise, and NOT to add anything to discussions or forums.

I have an issue with people who thinks its all right to tell people to shut up because others don't like what they say. They have a right to say it, and you have a right to NOT listen to it. You can get out of earshot, you can NOT click on the post, you can ignore the user, you CAN'T tell them you that they have don't have a right to talk about it because it get's your panties in a twist.

That's, however, my opinion.

08-07-2013, 03:44 AM
(08-07-2013 03:10 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 02:44 AM)Julius Wrote:  A lot of you keep talking about “Free Speech” and go on and on and on. O.k., I agree Free Speech is nice, but that still doesn’t prevent someone from being needlessly hurt – and when people are being needlessly hurt, it should be stopped if the goal of the Forum is to help people.

Peace.

Julius
The goal of the forum is not to help people. It is to discuss issues. Drinking Beverage

Let's be real here for a second: Do you think you should shut the fuck up, just because somebody has a bitch-fit over what you said? Even if what you said wasn't actually hurtful?

I see where you are coming from, and my answer is: NO - I am not going to shut up just because someone is hurt by what I say. For example, I have no problem if my comments enrage a Billion Christians if what I can say will help even one atheist. I will not let silence obstruct truth.

However, there is a flip side to that coin - sometimes I say things that obstruct the truth. Consequently, I think it's a good idea for me shut up when whatever I'm saying isn't having the desired affect and is only making things worse - it is actually having the opposite affect than that which I seek. Unless...I were a Troll - and then all I would be seeking is to needlessly anger people for a sense of personal gratification.

I have learned that when people are angry and upset with me, they can not hear me! And...when this happens, then anything else I say in addition that further provokes anger is stupid on my part and will not change their minds. The Atheist Chemistry Prof who gave me a Bible and suggested I go read it showed me that by example years ago and, I wish that I had applied that lesson since then. But I haven't.

But...I'm trying.

Julius
08-07-2013, 03:48 AM
(08-07-2013 03:10 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  

Peace.

Julius

Let's be real here for a second: Do you think you should shut the fuck up, just because somebody has a bitch-fit over what you said? Even if what you said wasn't actually hurtful? No. I don't agree. I don't think that people should censor themselves on issues just because other people are upset about the discussion. The only time you should censor yourself is when 1.) You are spewing vitriolic hate and you need shut the fuck up about it, or 2.) Your post has absolutely no constructive value.

None of those two requirements were met, even if people got upset. And that's the issue I have with it. If I post a thread about the holocaust being fake, and a jewish person posts that it is very upsetting that I think that, should I simply shut the fuck up about it, even if I seriously wanted to express my opinion? Fuck no, its not OK to censor or a topic just because it upsets you. But, its my opinion, and it is not law, that's just how I see it.

The only reason you should shut the fuck up is if you are spewing hate, or threats, or spam, as I find those three as actual reasons to ban/censor. Hate because it isn't constructive and its intention is to harm the person that the speech is directed at, Threats because of the same thing, and Spam because it adds absolutely nothing, and is posted merely to advertise, and NOT to add anything to discussions or forums.

I have an issue with people who thinks its all right to tell people to shut up because others don't like what they say. They have a right to say it, and you have a right to NOT listen to it. You can get out of earshot, you can NOT click on the post, you can ignore the user, you CAN'T tell them you that they have don't have a right to talk about it because it get's your panties in a twist.

Did you not actually read Seth's message?

Seth Wrote:TTA’s forum is a place of discussion, yes, and free discussion at that. However, is it NOT required to pander to everyone and everything that comes along, and ultimately, it exists to provide conversation, support, encouragement, information and community to the atheist, the agnostic, the freethinker.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 03:56 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 04:16 AM by Atothetheist.)
(08-07-2013 03:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 03:10 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  The goal of the forum is not to help people. It is to discuss issues. Drinking Beverage

Did you not actually read Seth's message?

Seth Wrote:TTA’s forum is a place of discussion, yes, and free discussion at that. However, is it NOT required to pander to everyone and everything that comes along, and ultimately, it exists to provide conversation, support, encouragement, information and community to the atheist, the agnostic, the freethinker.

I said it a place of discussion. I read Seth's post, which is why my RESPONSE WAS MY OPINION, Chas. I stated it frequently that it was my opinion. It goal is to support ATHEISTS/AGNOSTICS/FREE THINKERS. It is here to support them on atheism/agnosticism/Free Thinking because that is the majority. Its goal is NOT to help people with pyschological problems. It is not here to stop suicides, it is not here to prevent PTSD, it is not here to appease everyone.

That is how I took Seth's statement.

I recongnize this is private poperty, and shit can be done as it is wished, however it is my opinion that the issue, if brought up in a manner that wasn't intentionally harmful, should be discussed.

You recognize opinion, right? I recognize the fact we can't talk about it, and I accept it as a rule, why? Because I recongnize private property.

However there is no rule to say that I can't critizise or voice my disagreement on a rule, without breaking them is there?

Thread Closed