A message to atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2016, 03:08 PM
RE: A message to atheists
(20-12-2016 01:13 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Something that isn't real and can't ever possibly be real doesn't fucking matter. Even if lots and lots of people think it's real and like to threaten other people with it, it's just not important and it's not a good reason to change how you live and we don't "bathe in sin" and even if we did so do many Christians and apparently they're going to Heaven b/c they bent the knee so it's not a logical system to begin with.

Many people have faced terrible consequences when they refused to follow the orders of a tyrant. Yes they could have a good life or they may die or suffer terribly but isn't it worth it? I'd rather be free to make my own choices.

But seriously some fake things "matter" because they bring joy to people like the Harry Potter book series but no the concept of Hell doesn't matter, it just doesn't because there is no proof at all it's real.

You could make up another horrible place like being stuck in a movie theater that only plays Adam Sandler and Kevin James movies forever and you can't leave, you're just stuck there.

So this place doesn't exist (thankfully), I literally just made it up. You will go there after death unless you promise to always give money to me every month for the rest of your life and tell me the worst things you do on a regular basis. Just because it doesn't exist does that mean it it still matters and I should go around warning people about it? How does that make any sense?

Because it's no different than if you had some sort of computer software where you clicked on and moved a square plane onto a silhouette of a square plane. Even if you deleted that square plane, the silhouette still exists even though it is not a real square plane.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2016, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2016 03:29 PM by Reltzik.)
(20-12-2016 03:08 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(20-12-2016 01:13 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Something that isn't real and can't ever possibly be real doesn't fucking matter. Even if lots and lots of people think it's real and like to threaten other people with it, it's just not important and it's not a good reason to change how you live and we don't "bathe in sin" and even if we did so do many Christians and apparently they're going to Heaven b/c they bent the knee so it's not a logical system to begin with.

Many people have faced terrible consequences when they refused to follow the orders of a tyrant. Yes they could have a good life or they may die or suffer terribly but isn't it worth it? I'd rather be free to make my own choices.

But seriously some fake things "matter" because they bring joy to people like the Harry Potter book series but no the concept of Hell doesn't matter, it just doesn't because there is no proof at all it's real.

You could make up another horrible place like being stuck in a movie theater that only plays Adam Sandler and Kevin James movies forever and you can't leave, you're just stuck there.

So this place doesn't exist (thankfully), I literally just made it up. You will go there after death unless you promise to always give money to me every month for the rest of your life and tell me the worst things you do on a regular basis. Just because it doesn't exist does that mean it it still matters and I should go around warning people about it? How does that make any sense?

Because it's no different than if you had some sort of computer software where you clicked on and moved a square plane onto a silhouette of a square plane. Even if you deleted that square plane, the silhouette still exists even though it is not a real square plane.

... ooookay, the metaphor still isn't clear here.

I take it that the square plane is supposed to be Hell. What's the square silhouette in this metaphor, and how do we know that IT'S there?

Also, editing your OP to answer questions later in the thread is not ideal. The people you're responding too won't realize that you've responded to them unless they go all the way back to the beginning of your thread, and they won't have a way to know to do that.
20-12-2016, 03:45 PM
[Image: 2rncw82.jpg]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
20-12-2016, 03:52 PM
(20-12-2016 03:08 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Because it's no different than if you had some sort of computer software where you clicked on and moved a square plane onto a silhouette of a square plane. Even if you deleted that square plane, the silhouette still exists even though it is not a real square plane.

Lake of fire = computer pixels

Got it

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
20-12-2016, 04:04 PM
(20-12-2016 03:52 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(20-12-2016 03:08 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Because it's no different than if you had some sort of computer software where you clicked on and moved a square plane onto a silhouette of a square plane. Even if you deleted that square plane, the silhouette still exists even though it is not a real square plane.

Lake of fire = computer pixels

Got it

No, that is not what hell is supposed to represent in that metaphor.
20-12-2016, 04:48 PM
This is how I picture people who talk about their imaginary "lake of fire" concept:

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
20-12-2016, 04:52 PM
(20-12-2016 04:48 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  This is how I picture people who talk about their imaginary "lake of fire" concept:

That's an absurdly durable couch. And a surprisingly ineffective convection oven.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
20-12-2016, 05:31 PM
(20-12-2016 11:47 AM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Now let me explain why I posted that message.
'Cause you are an idiot troll. Same reason as every other time you post.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
20-12-2016, 06:18 PM
(20-12-2016 05:31 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(20-12-2016 11:47 AM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Now let me explain why I posted that message.
'Cause you are an idiot troll. Same reason as every other time you post.

Refer to my metaphor. You will gain further insight as to why I have posted this.
20-12-2016, 08:18 PM
The only reason hell matters is that adults regularly cause psychological damage to children by frightening them with it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Astreja's post