A mockery called "free speech"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2017, 10:31 PM
RE: A mockery called "free speech"
(25-03-2017 04:10 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(25-03-2017 03:23 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  You can deny any event in history... except one?

It just seems really weird to me. If anything, it's handing over unnecessary ammunition to conspiracy nuts by trying to gag it.

Has this law ever been enforced, out of interest?

It's a law, originally imposed by the allies and updated since then. You're not allowed to fly a swastika, use other nazi symbols, do the Hitler salute or to deny the Holocaust.

And yes, it's invoked quite often. Mostly ending up in a few months probation for posting shit on Facebook or on some other social media platform. This overlaps with hate speech, which, far as I know is illegal in the UK and in France also.

Btw, it's mostly along the lines of wishing the Shoa treatment on immigrants, refugees or muslims. Quite ironically not denying that the Shoa actually happened. Just celebrating it and desiring for it to happen again.

Ah, I see. Well, that's fair enough. I was thinking you're not allowed to even suggest it didn't happen. If you're also piling a load of obvious hate shit on top of it, then that's covered by normal rules anyway.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2018, 07:43 PM
History of Free Speech in USA

It wasn't hunky dory all through the history of the USA...

“Here, where a thousand
Captains swore grand conquest. . .Tall
Grass their monument.”
― Basho
Find all posts by this user
01-07-2018, 03:18 AM
Freedom of speech exists here in the US. While it may be unwise to say certain things, especially over the internet, it's not really illegal to say things, short of threatening someone. I can go on and on about the NSA, but that's another discussion entirely.
[+] 2 users Like RBMG's post
01-07-2018, 02:41 PM
George Orwell Quote

Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
--George Orwell

“Here, where a thousand
Captains swore grand conquest. . .Tall
Grass their monument.”
― Basho
03-07-2018, 07:27 PM
(24-03-2017 07:11 PM)Leerob Wrote:  Fuck do I hate this freedom of speech shit that people like to talk about. The amount of times that I have had people tell me that "I live in a free country." No you fucktard, you don't live in a free country. You have no freedom of speech. You have no freedom period. I dare you to go out and say or do something that has been idiotically deemed to be illegal!
Strip naked and walk the street. Go ahead, I dare you. Stand in the middle of the city in Germany and shout "Hail Hitler". Go ahead fucktard, do it, I dare you. Sit in fucking school in the UK and question Islam, if you think you have free speech. Go ahead.

The government has a main interest in protecting your rights, but not only your rights, because you're not the only person living in your country. You may want to walk the streets naked because you have a right to bodily autonomy (including the freedom to choose what to wear), but when you do that you infringe on the rights of other citizens who want to be able to take their kids out in public without being forced to see your naked body. So the government, in an interest in protecting both your rights and theirs, will usually compromise with something like allowing you to be naked in private.

If you understand laws in this context, you can generally see what's behind every one of them. The NSA may monitor your calls in the interest of catching terrorists because they feel you have a right to feel (and be) safe from terrorism. So they only flag calls and texts and such that have "red flags" like the word "bomb", in the interest of having a high probability of reading only messages from terrorists but also trying to protect your privacy as much as possible.

If you think the government is infringing on your rights because they've gone too far in protecting another one of your rights (or that of your neighbors), you probably either don't understand whose rights the government is protecting or you're just a selfish person who doesn't care about the rights of others when they infringe on your own. In either case, "fuck this shit" is exactly what I think when I hear a rant about your freedoms not being limitless without consideration of how that might limit the freedoms of others in your society.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Starcrash's post
08-07-2018, 03:45 PM
I think there is a fatal problem in the notion that "because one does not have infinite rights there for we have no rights/ are not free", and it falls apart the second you ask any really serious questions of it. It's also important to understand that "rights" and "laws" are not the same thing, and that while their is overlap they are not operating within the same conceptional theaters.

Kneel mortal before Whiskey I, Lord of Dalmore, Duke of Jameson, Defender of the Sloshed, and God-Emperor of Holy Terra.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
12-07-2018, 06:17 AM
(08-07-2018 03:45 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I think there is a fatal problem in the notion that "because one does not have infinite rights there for we have no rights/ are not free", and it falls apart the second you ask any really serious questions of it. It's also important to understand that "rights" and "laws" are not the same thing, and that while their is overlap they are not operating within the same conceptional theaters.

Unfortunately some people skipped the definition of nuance in the dictionary......

nu·ance
ˈn(y)o͞oˌäns/Submit
noun
a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound.

I wish more people would try and open a damn book these days.....

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
12-07-2018, 06:21 AM
(25-03-2017 01:15 PM)Leerob Wrote:  
(25-03-2017 12:28 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I think that she is Fred
I'll forgive the "she" because you don't know me or Fred. Also not that it matters to this discussion but there is a rule here that everybody is allowed only one account. I have been on this forum for six years. You don't think that me or ImFred or both of us would have been banned during all this time if we were the same person? Big Grin If you don't trust them to be proactive on it, go ahead and report me and ImFred. See if we get banned Wink
Anyway thanks for bring the first one, other than Fred, to acknowledge what a rant is.

Now about what is true and what is not. For the purpose of having an argument, there is no problem with one person being right and one person being wrong. That is why we still have arguments over the existence of a god and that is why we still have people around that actually believe the earth is flat. We let them have a go with their side of the discussion and we let them fail. We get annoyed at the same old shit but we still let them talk. If I would make it illegal to say that the earth is flat, do you think it would change anything? I seriously doubt that. I am pretty sure that people would still have that opinion and they would still discuss it.

There is a German song called "Die Gedanken sind frei" (The thoughts are free)
Here is the English version. It's not an exact translation but still pretty accurate. It pretty much hits the nail on the head. You can think what you want and nothing can ever stop what you think (no law, no dectator, no walls, etc)... Just what I said previously.
Die gedanken sind frei
My thoughts freely flower
Die gedanken sind frei
My thoughts give me power
No scholar can map them
No hunter can trap them
No man can deny
Die gedanken sind frei
I think as I please
And this gives me pleasure
My conscience decrees
This right I must treasure
My thoughts will not cater
To duke or dictator
No man can deny
Die gedanken sind frei
Tyrants can take me
And throw me in prison
My thoughts will burst forth
Like blossoms in season
Foundations may crumble
And structures may tumble
But free men shall cry
Die gedanken sind frei

Wait what? Dude WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK FRED! what an asshole.

Anyone got a problem with Robert has a problem with me. Got it? >.<

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
12-07-2018, 09:54 AM
(12-07-2018 06:17 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 03:45 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I think there is a fatal problem in the notion that "because one does not have infinite rights there for we have no rights/ are not free", and it falls apart the second you ask any really serious questions of it. It's also important to understand that "rights" and "laws" are not the same thing, and that while their is overlap they are not operating within the same conceptional theaters.

Unfortunately some people skipped the definition of nuance in the dictionary......

nu·ance
ˈn(y)o͞oˌäns/Submit
noun

Would you like to make an argument or a point or was that supposed to be it? What exactly did I say that you object to?

Kneel mortal before Whiskey I, Lord of Dalmore, Duke of Jameson, Defender of the Sloshed, and God-Emperor of Holy Terra.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
12-07-2018, 10:10 AM
(12-07-2018 06:17 AM)JesseB Wrote:  

nu·ance
ˈn(y)o͞oˌäns/Submit
noun

Like this one?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5UfvqG36TlEtJxUAGc7I...EfAayP-MgQ]

Big Grin

fudge is the only divinity that matters
[+] 2 users Like julep's post