A modest proposal for gun control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2012, 12:36 PM
RE: A modest proposal for gun control
(25-12-2012 12:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-12-2012 06:27 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  If you are implying that he would have used some other means of killing the children, yes. It would have also made it much more difficult, and probably would have resulted in fewer deaths.

Which shows that guns are a problem, but not the problem.
I think you mean not the only problem. It is just one part that needs to be sorted. Progress happens in small steps and I think doing something about America's guns is one of those steps. When you say "the problem" I get the impression like you mean that there is one major problem rather than lots of reasonable sized ones. Tongue Anyway, sort yer guns oot, then you can move onto the next part. Nothing will change if you just hang around saying that there are other problems too.

Just thought I'd give you a piece of my ass... erm, I mean mind... I definitely mean mind. Hmm, now I'm not so sure.

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
26-12-2012, 10:11 AM
(24-12-2012 12:37 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I proposed a thought concerning a license to buy a firearm. The problem is that not every area has a gun club to join. Who is going to perform the psych eval? How much does it cost? By creating costs to qualify to buy a gun you effectively discriminate against the poorer among us. Just in the same way requiring an ID to vote discriminates against poor Democrats and the elderly.

When it comes down to it, I am all for spending money if it saves lives. Would better gun control laws have absolutely protected those children? I don't know. Would better laws mean my aunt would still be alive? I don't know. Here is one thing I am certain of, they could have helped and if they save only 1 life, it's worth it. That family doesn't have to spend that Christmas shedding tears on unopened presents.

"Tell me you don't need a gun when someone breaks into your house, rapes you, and kills your children."

Slippery slope much? It's much better to have a shoot-out in your house? Your making the argument that this is how A) Most people who break into houses do it (with violent intent) B) that this is how most rapes occur and C) that a stranger is most likely to kill your kids.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
26-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Re: RE: A modest proposal for gun control
(26-12-2012 10:11 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "Tell me you don't need a gun when someone breaks into your house, rapes you, and kills your children."

Slippery slope much? It's much better to have a shoot-out in your house? Your making the argument that this is how A) Most people who break into houses do it (with violent intent) B) that this is how most rapes occur and C) that a stranger is most likely to kill your kids.

Guessing what a intruder's intentions are is NOT something any home owner should be expected to do. The owner deserves the monopoly on force. Yes, it is better to shoot someone in your home then to let your fate be up to them. That's called taking responsibility.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
26-12-2012, 01:10 PM
because stray bullets dont do any damage.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
26-12-2012, 01:26 PM
If I were in a house with my family and I had a gun, I wouldn't be picking it up and firing at an intruder... I would be sticking my hands up and telling them to take what they want and leave. Starting a fire fight in my home is not what I would be doing to try and protect my family. If there were zombies breaking in, then it is entirely different... Tongue

Anyway, open firing on someone you believe to be an intruder without thinking is how you end up shooting someone you know... I've read plenty of news stories in the past of people killing family members because they thought it was someone breaking in.

If Americans are so paranoid about people breaking in and murdering everyone, then they should booby trap their house. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
26-12-2012, 04:46 PM
(26-12-2012 01:26 PM)frankiej Wrote:  If I were in a house with my family and I had a gun, I wouldn't be picking it up and firing at an intruder... I would be sticking my hands up and telling them to take what they want and leave. Starting a fire fight in my home is not what I would be doing to try and protect my family. If there were zombies breaking in, then it is entirely different... Tongue

Anyway, open firing on someone you believe to be an intruder without thinking is how you end up shooting someone you know... I've read plenty of news stories in the past of people killing family members because they thought it was someone breaking in.

If Americans are so paranoid about people breaking in and murdering everyone, then they should booby trap their house. Tongue
Statistically more injuries occur for the victims of burglary when merely complying than those that protect the house with fire-power.
26-12-2012, 04:49 PM
(26-12-2012 04:46 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Statistically more injuries occur for the victims of burglary when merely complying than those that protect the house with fire-power.
You really need to learn that statements like this have absolutely no merit unless you can substantiate them with a source. So, what's yours?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
26-12-2012, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2012 05:01 PM by FZUMedia.)
(26-12-2012 04:49 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(26-12-2012 04:46 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Statistically more injuries occur for the victims of burglary when merely complying than those that protect the house with fire-power.
You really need to learn that statements like this have absolutely no merit unless you can substantiate them with a source. So, what's yours?
Don't have the source since I heard it in a report you can try and find it if you want- but it would seem to make sense, since just under 10% of burglaries in America are done when people are at home- yet in U.K 50% of burglaries occur when people are at home. So I think that's important. Predators will pick the weakest links. In the case of the Aurora shooter, he had the choice of 7 theatres to go to in his area, he didn't pick the nearest theatre, but the theatre that openly declared 'No guns allowed' on signs.

Criminals are not stupid, they don't want resistance, they want compliance, they don't want to get shot for a T.V and a laptop - predators like weakness, if there's a chance that grandpa is packing a smith and wesson, they are not going to even attempt to go inside.

If you don't believe me, put up a sign saying "We are not armed and wont fight back" on your back-door, see how safe you feel.
26-12-2012, 04:57 PM
(26-12-2012 04:55 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Criminals are not stupid, they don't want resistance, they want compliance, they don't want to get shot for a T.V and a laptop - predators like weakness.
Actually, most criminals are both stupid and petty opportunists. Even a lot of those that aren't petty opportunists are stupid.

[Image: giphy.gif]
26-12-2012, 05:01 PM
(26-12-2012 04:57 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(26-12-2012 04:55 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Criminals are not stupid, they don't want resistance, they want compliance, they don't want to get shot for a T.V and a laptop - predators like weakness.
Actually, most criminals are both stupid and petty opportunists. Even a lot of those that aren't petty opportunists are stupid.
Sensing weakness is what they are good at, statistics show this- as very few burglaries occur when people are at home in U.S, yet half of burglaries in U.K (Where people are mostly disarmed) are done when people are at home.