A modest proposal for gun control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 06:54 PM by Bob Loblaw.)
RE: A modest proposal for gun control
(12-06-2013 09:46 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  Convinced you are "right"? What was that about American arrogance?

(11-06-2013 06:09 AM)Bob Loblaw Wrote:  Answer my questions.. If said people in the video had guns the violence would have been stopped? So if everyone on this planet were armed we would have less violence but if we had no guns at all violence would go up?
And I have to be sure here teach Afghan women to shoot not read?
Thought I would post a picture of all the bullet ridden six year old bodies from Newtown but the NRA must already have them

It's impossible to say how those in the video would have faired with a firearm. The point of the video was to show you that conflict and unprovoked violence happens.

I'm not answering your questions bc you arnt here with a skeptical mindset, you already "know" things, and are just reaffirming them . You dont understand the other side, just the caricature of gun owners the news presents.

Also, we are teaching the afghans how to do a lot of different things. You cant build communities and infrastructure without stability.
I respect your right to own a gun and I'm sure you are good person who follows all laws and safety....but in light of facts and atheist love facts you as a country have a problem. Why can't law abiding gun owners bend at all ? Is it so wrong to make it difficult to get guns You will get them but it shouldn't be so easy.
I am not saying I have the answers I'm not that smart, but in Canada http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politic...f_firearms . take ten minutes read it Some more facts for you Toronto 2.6 million people in 2012 33 deaths by shooting, 8 by stabbing, 13 other for a grand total of 54 homicides http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/ytd_stats.php No guns not much violence and only four hours from Detroit 706, 000 people 386 at 41% of those involving guns.......and the " I'm right comment tong and cheek hence the smiley face

Don't pray in our schools and we won't think in your church
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Re: RE: A modest proposal for gun control
(13-06-2013 07:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 12:23 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Just doing a drive by with some stats I saw today.

Information is the key to policy change, but only if people look at it and try to understand it as opposed to a knee-jerk reaction.

Additional gun restrictions could positively impact these types of incident, and people need to be aware of that. And the people impacted by these types of tragedies need to make these stories heard.

You gotta love all this self serving happy talk. Not sure about you, but I remember when Clinton mandated that every pistol sold be supplied with a trigger lock. Why? Because a young child got ahold of a pistol and their brother got shot. What was the home situation like? It was a literal crackhouse! Huh The irony in all of this is any responsible person would never use the cheap Indonesian locks they are even supplied with. A lot of states already have prohibiting unauthorized access of firearms to minors with in a household. Tons of good those laws seems to be doing. We should just legislate away stupid.
14-06-2013, 10:06 AM
(12-06-2013 09:46 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  Convinced you are "right"? What was that about American arrogance?

(11-06-2013 06:09 AM)Bob Loblaw Wrote:  Answer my questions.. If said people in the video had guns the violence would have been stopped? So if everyone on this planet were armed we would have less violence but if we had no guns at all violence would go up?
And I have to be sure here teach Afghan women to shoot not read?
Thought I would post a picture of all the bullet ridden six year old bodies from Newtown but the NRA must already have them

It's impossible to say how those in the video would have faired with a firearm. The point of the video was to show you that conflict and unprovoked violence happens.

I'm not answering your questions bc you arnt here with a skeptical mindset, you already "know" things, and are just reaffirming them . You dont understand the other side, just the caricature of gun owners the news presents.

Also, we are teaching the afghans how to do a lot of different things. You cant build communities and infrastructure without stability.

(13-06-2013 07:19 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 07:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Information is the key to policy change, but only if people look at it and try to understand it as opposed to a knee-jerk reaction.

Additional gun restrictions could positively impact these types of incident, and people need to be aware of that. And the people impacted by these types of tragedies need to make these stories heard.

You gotta love all this self serving happy talk. Not sure about you, but I remember when Clinton mandated that every pistol sold be supplied with a trigger lock. Why? Because a young child got ahold of a pistol and their brother got shot. What was the home situation like? It was a literal crackhouse! Huh The irony in all of this is any responsible person would never use the cheap Indonesian locks they are even supplied with. A lot of states already have prohibiting unauthorized access of firearms to minors with in a household. Tons of good those laws seems to be doing. We should just legislate away stupid.
Your a hypocrite. Are you saying anti gun advocates do not bend and pro gun advocates do.

Personally speaking I would take every assault rifle and Hand gun and melt them down and ban all production of them, but I bend on that stance and ask for tougher laws, which work as I showed you in previous post , which of course you ignore.

Were do gun advocates bend or see the other side or advocate change at all You post irrelevant pictures of afghan women shooting guns as a rallying cry and ignore kids killing kids in your own country and say that is self serving Huh

[+] 1 user Likes Bob Loblaw's post
15-06-2013, 12:05 AM
(14-06-2013 10:06 AM)Bob Loblaw Wrote:  

(13-06-2013 07:19 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  You gotta love all this self serving happy talk. Not sure about you, but I remember when Clinton mandated that every pistol sold be supplied with a trigger lock. Why? Because a young child got ahold of a pistol and their brother got shot. What was the home situation like? It was a literal crackhouse! Huh The irony in all of this is any responsible person would never use the cheap Indonesian locks they are even supplied with. A lot of states already have prohibiting unauthorized access of firearms to minors with in a household. Tons of good those laws seems to be doing. We should just legislate away stupid.
Your a hypocrite. Are you saying anti gun advocates do not bend and pro gun advocates do.

Personally speaking I would take every assault rifle and Hand gun and melt them down and ban all production of them, but I bend on that stance and ask for tougher laws, which work as I showed you in previous post , which of course you ignore.

Were do gun advocates bend or see the other side or advocate change at all You post irrelevant pictures of afghan women shooting guns as a rallying cry and ignore kids killing kids in your own country and say that is self serving Huh

NFA 1934, GCA of 68'. A clause to the NFA laws snuck into the bad of a credit card bill in 1985. Etc etc. If pro gun people never bent on anything, we wouldnt be talking about guns.

The problem with your tougher laws is you have them only to have them. You dont know these laws will do any good, but they certainly make you feel good.

No one is ignoring anything. Dude, this isnt even sparking my interest anymore. Have you ever talked to someone who is pro gun?

BTW, notice TBD dosent have shit to say after my post.
15-06-2013, 05:48 AM
(15-06-2013 12:05 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(14-06-2013 10:06 AM)Bob Loblaw Wrote:  Your a hypocrite. Are you saying anti gun advocates do not bend and pro gun advocates do.

NFA 1934, GCA of 68'. A clause to the NFA laws snuck into the bad of a credit card bill in 1985. Etc etc. If pro gun people never bent on anything, we wouldnt be talking about guns.

The problem with your tougher laws is you have them only to have them. You dont know these laws will do any good, but they certainly make you feel good.

No one is ignoring anything. Dude, this isnt even sparking my interest anymore. Have you ever talked to someone who is pro gun?

Tougher laws do work which is why i posted the Canadian gun laws along with crime stat for our biggest city and I can post similar country's with similar results but thought I would point out Canada since it is next door

So you coincide we anti gun bend and pro gun don't... and it isn't sparking your interest because you cant come up with good reasons not to bend on laws except for "right to bare arms" like I said pro gun advocates are hypocrites that see only their outdated rights

15-06-2013, 10:47 PM
(15-06-2013 05:48 AM)Bob Loblaw Wrote:  
(15-06-2013 12:05 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  NFA 1934, GCA of 68'. A clause to the NFA laws snuck into the bad of a credit card bill in 1985. Etc etc. If pro gun people never bent on anything, we wouldnt be talking about guns.

Tougher laws do work which is why i posted the Canadian gun laws along with crime stat for our biggest city and I can post similar country's with similar results but thought I would point out Canada since it is next door

So you coincide we anti gun bend and pro gun don't... and it isn't sparking your interest because you cant come up with good reasons not to bend on laws except for "right to bare arms" like I said pro gun advocates are hypocrites that see only their outdated rights

Learn to read, those are all gun control acts I listed. Look them up. How about the Clinton AWB that literally did nothing to curb violence and even the worst gun grabbers can't deny that.

and no, I totally didnt claim that pro gunners never comprimise.Listing the major GUN CONTROL ACTS might have been a clue to this. You fail at basic read comprehension. I for sure wouldnt trust you with a firearm because you couldnt make it thru the service manual.

https://www.hookedonphonics.com/
16-06-2013, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2013 08:56 AM by Bob Loblaw.)
(15-06-2013 10:47 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(15-06-2013 05:48 AM)Bob Loblaw Wrote:  Tougher laws do work which is why i posted the Canadian gun laws along with crime stat for our biggest city and I can post similar country's with similar results but thought I would point out Canada since it is next door

Learn to read, those are all gun control acts I listed. Look them up. How about the Clinton AWB that literally did nothing to curb violence and even the worst gun grabbers can't deny that.

and no, I totally didnt claim that pro gunners never comprimise.Listing the major GUN CONTROL ACTS might have been a clue to this. You fail at basic read comprehension. I for sure wouldnt trust you with a firearm because you couldnt make it thru the service manual.

https://www.hookedonphonics.com/
Ok I don't have your IQ try to bear with me ( p.s. your spell check did not work for compromise)really personal attacks what's that grade 4 mentality

So those short lived stabs at gun control by Clinton is your pro advocate compromise on gun control and proof it doesn't work ...what about the UK, Germany, Australia, France ,Hungary , Canada etc but really its not about how many kids or innocent people get killed to you , its about your constitutional law, the rights of an individual and the role of the state

It all started with your paranoia that you need to arm yourself against your government and know as evolved to where you think its about your rights.

Unfortunately no matter what I say or facts people post, your brainwashing is to complete for you to change ...kinda like religion ....in my opinion

05-07-2013, 02:35 PM
[/quote]
So those short lived stabs at gun control by Clinton is your pro advocate compromise on gun control and proof it doesn't work ...what about the UK, Germany, Australia, France ,Hungary , Canada etc but really its not about how many kids or innocent people get killed to you , its about your constitutional law, the rights of an individual and the role of the state

It all started with your paranoia that you need to arm yourself against your government and know as evolved to where you think its about your rights.

Unfortunately no matter what I say or facts people post, your brainwashing is to complete for you to change ...kinda like religion ....in my opinion
[/quote]

You point out that many countries with strict regulation have low levels of gun crime. However, a look at the stats shows that, in the UK, where guns are practically banned, 2.8% of the population has been a victim of assault. In the US, 1.2% have been victimized. The UK also has more total crime victims as a percentage of the population. If you want to see the stats yourself, the link follows:
http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Unit...ates/Crime
While the UK has a much lower gun crime rate, it seems that gun control hasn't helped the total crime rate.
As for your assertion that us pro-gunners are religious about gun rights, you couldn't be more wrong. Yes, there are some among us who are blind in their beliefs about guns. However, people like that are found in every movement, including the anti-gun camp. If I were presented with compelling evidence against gun ownership, I would change my stance, as would many other gun owners. What you call "paranoia" is nothing other than a response to the injustices that government has committed against its citizens. Keep in mind that, had the revolutionary colonists been disarmed, we'd have never become independent. I see the occasional mass shooting as a non-preventable tragedy. Psychopaths will always find a way to accomplish their horrible goals, and banning "scary" guns will do nothing to stop them. Guns will always be available to the criminal element, and only a misguided person would prohibit an innocent citizen from defending himself.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
--George Carlin
08-07-2013, 09:39 AM

[/quote]

You point out that many countries with strict regulation have low levels of gun crime. However, a look at the stats shows that, in the UK, where guns are practically banned, 2.8% of the population has been a victim of assault. In the US, 1.2% have been victimized. The UK also has more total crime victims as a percentage of the population. If you want to see the stats yourself, the link follows:
http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Unit...ates/Crime
While the UK has a much lower gun crime rate, it seems that gun control hasn't helped the total crime rate.
As for your assertion that us pro-gunners are religious about gun rights, you couldn't be more wrong. Yes, there are some among us who are blind in their beliefs about guns. However, people like that are found in every movement, including the anti-gun camp. If I were presented with compelling evidence against gun ownership, I would change my stance, as would many other gun owners. What you call "paranoia" is nothing other than a response to the injustices that government has committed against its citizens. Keep in mind that, had the revolutionary colonists been disarmed, we'd have never become independent. I see the occasional mass shooting as a non-preventable tragedy. Psychopaths will always find a way to accomplish their horrible goals, and banning "scary" guns will do nothing to stop them. Guns will always be available to the criminal element, and only a misguided person would prohibit an innocent citizen from defending himself.
[/quote]

It's also important to look at not only the rate of assault victims, but the rate of fatal injury in an assault. As well as the fatality rate in domestic disputes.

Also, the percentage of the population living in rural vs urban environments is important too, as crime rates are always higher in urban populations. I looked it up not too long ago and the UK is about 10 percentage points higher than the US for percentage of the population living in urban environments. Take that into account with the assault rates, and the US and the UK are most likely comparable or at least indistinguishable. That then makes the rate of fatality and suicide even more important to look at.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley