A modest proposal for gun control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2012, 03:33 PM
RE: A modest proposal for gun control
And you also mistake my saying things like
"It is as if I am explaining radiometric dating to a YEC."
or
"Ignoring the facts and sitting in a corner humming to yourself whenever someone disagrees with you is what the fundamentalists in this country do too."

as out and out insults. They are not intended as such. They are observations about similarities between the pro-gun arguments and those of the religious. Do you not see a correlation?

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I show you numbers. I even use the numbers you provide. And I show you something you don't like and it is ignored or pleaded away.

18-12-2012, 03:37 PM
(18-12-2012 03:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But by all means, ignore EVERY argument that contradicts your notion that we are safer with a gun-toting society. Ignoring my facts and sitting in a corner humming to yourself whenever someone disagrees with you is what the fundamentalists in this country do too.
LOL. You seriously think you're my 1st anti-gun tard? It's almost to the point where I can copy/paste canned responses to every clueless do-gooder because they all have the same modus operandi.

Also, for you and anyone reading this, you can be almost certain when someone evokes the facts in a slanted fashion like that, that facts are the last thing you are getting.
18-12-2012, 03:42 PM
(18-12-2012 03:37 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 03:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But by all means, ignore EVERY argument that contradicts your notion that we are safer with a gun-toting society. Ignoring my facts and sitting in a corner humming to yourself whenever someone disagrees with you is what the fundamentalists in this country do too.
LOL. You seriously think you're my 1st anti-gun tard? It's almost to the point where I can copy/paste canned responses to every clueless do-gooder because they all have the same modus operandi.

Also, for you and anyone reading this, you can be almost certain when someone evokes the facts in a slanted fashion like that, that facts are the last thing you are getting.
Please do not alter my responses so as to change what I said to fit your perception of it. They are not "my facts®". The data I am showing you is referenced in the post. If you are unable to see that, then I cannot help you any further. Altering my words is a completely dishonest and tactless attempt to discredit me. I will not stand such dishonesty

And you still ignore the FACT that I am not A) anti-gun B) wanting to out and out ban guns C) someone who has always been pro-gun laws/restriction.

The idea that you can just "can copy/paste canned responses" demonstrates you are no longer willing to actually discuss this. You (like a fundy) have made up your mind about the conclusion and refuse to be dissuaded.

18-12-2012, 03:56 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/around-world-massa...45195.html

A good article that outlines some of the points made on each side.

18-12-2012, 03:58 PM
(18-12-2012 03:31 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 03:27 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  What, I disagree with you and you make up every possible fallacy you can throw at me, then come back with a dozen ad hominems whenever you feel like?

Go fuck yourself with a cactus, hypocrite.
I was talking to BlackKnight actually in my last couple of posts.

You just seem to be on the special pleading side of the fallacy line by looking at the numbers and only being able to find ways to argue out of it. Ignoring everything else.

Such malice and animosity. You don't like someone else's opinion and you tell them to go fuck themselves. How can any reasoned and rationed discussion ever occur with such attitudes? It is as if I am explaining radiometric dating to a YEC.

Everyone who interprets statistics differently than you is special pleading? Are you kidding me? I've tried to be patient, but I've had enough. I'm not engaging on this idiotic level anymore. Shape up or get out.

Your fallacies in the last few dozen posts:

Ad Hominem - Equated people who disagree with your positions with religious fundamentalists, rednecks, and other groups you don't like. Never an insult, of course, oh no. That would be a fallacy!
Correlation implying Causation - You did back down from this one, but only after you realized that the correlation between crime and gun control was weaker than you realized
Special Pleading - You accuse others of special pleading for saying that statistics support X opinion, then say statistics support Y opinion as if it's indisputable truth
Special Pleading Again - You made a generalization about all the countries of Latin America saying they were uncivilized and could not be compared with the US. Then when I pointed out companies in Latin America that are fairly civilized you fell back on, "Oh, well they don't count"
Special Pleading Again AGAIN - You then argued that you can't compare Latin America with the US because it's too different, but then that you could compare Europe. I pointed out that Europe is pretty goddamn different when it comes to the US, especially in terms of culture and guns, but nope, Europe is special so it CAN be compared. Pfaugh.
META Special Pleading - Saying your own ad hominems and special pleading attempts aren't actually fallacies, just you speaking the absolute truth as handed down from on high. It's so fucking meta it makes me want to slap Hofstadter in the face for inventing the word

If all you're going to do is accuse anyone who disagrees with you of a fallacy while making several yourself, then I have no further interest in talking. Stop trying to seize the high ground through childish meta games and debate the figures. If not, then it's not an insult; it's an instruction. Take a cactus, stretch your ass, and combine the two. Not an ad hominem; you can tell because I said it's not.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
18-12-2012, 04:02 PM
I'd also like to point out that the comparison to Fundamentalists works equally well both ways. I can accuse you of ignoring statistics too -- Gasp! Novel! But most of all with people like Logica, who seek to ban guns without knowing anything about them, even the difference between a rifle and a shotgun. It's just like people who seek to discredit science without knowing anything about it.

See? It's a fallacy, it's a bad argument. And you're flailing it around like it's some mighty good point. Seriously, no.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
18-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Dude,get over yourself.Or call the internet police,take your ball and go home.

Number and statistics don't make themselves valid and objective by their own virtue ,which is why I don't use any. You can find studies and numbers to prove whatever you want.
18-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I can see the conversation has devolved to the point where everything is have said must be wrong. The data and the statistics don't say anything about the issue except that there is no apparent trends (in your mind).

It is not a matter of interpretation. The trends is there, the r^2 are high. It's real, but your argument remains that I should copulate with a cactus.

Address my arguments if you want the debate to continue or ignore those who disagree with you.

And I am well aware of correlation does not equal causation, I addressed that in my post with the graph. Are you reading my posts in their entirety or just a few lines before you get mad and insult me?

18-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Apparently trying to brings statistics into this was a mistake. They are not understood and you don't know how to read them.

Good night gentlemen.