A modest proposal for gun control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2012, 08:27 AM
RE: A modest proposal for gun control
(19-12-2012 07:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-12-2012 02:43 AM)yongkykun Wrote:  Just revoke the law that basically allows you to bring concealed gun(s) to national parks or anywhere. So keep your gun(s) to yourself IN your house.

Even that is still dangerous. Keeping guns in your house, I mean.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national...bled=false

That statistic we've been seeing on Richard Dawkin's Facebook page is sound. For example, in 2006, there were 10,225 gun related homicides in United States. Compare that to Japan in the same year, only 2. That's crazy! There has been NO mass shooting in Australia for 16 years since the gun control law passed.

I agree with some of your points regarding owning a sidearm, but numbers don't lie. Just think about it for a moment. Yes, people will always find a way to hurt others, but without guns? The worst would be what happened in China, mass stabbings, NONE dead.
Wilderness hiking and camping is dangerous, there are dangerous predators. There is also the possibility of being lost or injuneceistatred. Allowing firearms in the parks was a rational decision.
Not every place that you camp but yes, camping in some places necessitates a weapon...or two. I am all for allowing those going into such areas needing a weapon and needing to go through the training beforehand (like some of the wilderness reserves in Alaska).

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2012, 08:30 AM
(18-12-2012 06:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 03:04 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  One more time, I am not saying the assault weapons ban was the only factor. Post-war peace seems to be recurrent too, and that would currently qualify.

Rates were constant throughout Bush's presidency and started to decrease again during Obama's.

There are other factors, I am well aware. But one cannot argue that the law was ineffective from the numbers or the rates. The trend is coincident with it having had a positive impact, not a negative impact and not a neutral impact.
I disagree. It is consistent with a neutral impact.
Consider Not really sure how you interpret it as having had a neutral impact. I am certain there are other factors that contribute to the decline in violent crime rates and in the murder rates, but how does one tease the assault weapons bans impact out of that overall trend so as to say it had a neutral impact?

Evolve
19-12-2012, 09:03 AM
(19-12-2012 08:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(19-12-2012 07:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  Wilderness hiking and camping is dangerous, there are dangerous predators. There is also the possibility of being lost or injuneceistatred. Allowing firearms in the parks was a rational decision.
Not every place that you camp but yes, camping in some places necessitates a weapon...or two. I am all for allowing those going into such areas needing a weapon and needing to go through the training beforehand (like some of the wilderness reserves in Alaska).

Even the Appalachian Trail is dangerous. The predators, however, are human.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Deliverance scares the shit out of me. I have been on the river in North Carolina that was filmed on and camped near it. I slept on my back...

Evolve
19-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:The question now is: Are those of us who have not yet been killed by guns going to allow these massacres to continue unimpeded? Are Americans that callous? Is life here so cheap? I have read the Second Amendment, and I find no mention there of any right to possess any gun more advanced than an 18th-century musket? Do I really have the right to bear a nuclear weapon? Or a rocket-propelled grenade? Then why in God’s name would any U.S. civilian have the right (or the need) to bear a .223-caliber assault rifle made by Bushmaster?

A good read

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/18...?hpt=hp_t2
19-12-2012, 10:39 AM
(19-12-2012 10:30 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
Quote:The question now is: Are those of us who have not yet been killed by guns going to allow these massacres to continue unimpeded? Are Americans that callous? Is life here so cheap? I have read the Second Amendment, and I find no mention there of any right to possess any gun more advanced than an 18th-century musket? Do I really have the right to bear a nuclear weapon? Or a rocket-propelled grenade? Then why in God’s name would any U.S. civilian have the right (or the need) to bear a .223-caliber assault rifle made by Bushmaster?

A good read

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/18...?hpt=hp_t2

Yes, but the Bushmaster is not an assault rifle.

19-12-2012, 10:42 AM
I get this vibe from some of you that you want to have guns so that you can kill anytime just for the sake of killing something regardless of its species. Well, at least I'm nowhere close to you lot. Though I am in one of the most religious countries in the world with the highest population of Moslems... Anyone from Australia up to adopting a 32 y.o. boy?
19-12-2012, 11:02 AM
(19-12-2012 10:42 AM)yongkykun Wrote:  I get this vibe from some of you that you want to have guns so that you can kill anytime just for the sake of killing something regardless of its species. Well, at least I'm nowhere close to you lot. Though I am in one of the most religious countries in the world with the highest population of Moslems... Anyone from Australia up to adopting a 32 y.o. boy?

Who? And please provide quotes.

19-12-2012, 11:32 AM
(19-12-2012 11:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-12-2012 10:42 AM)yongkykun Wrote:  I get this vibe from some of you that you want to have guns so that you can kill anytime just for the sake of killing something regardless of its species. Well, at least I'm nowhere close to you lot. Though I am in one of the most religious countries in the world with the highest population of Moslems... Anyone from Australia up to adopting a 32 y.o. boy?

Who? And please provide quotes.
Well, I said I (subjective) and vibe (also subjective), so it's pretty pointless, really, to quote the ones who gave me said vibes. Besides, I don't want to point fingers at anyone. It's impolite, rude and childish.

Also, I was kidding. I thought the last part of my post was pretty telling.
19-12-2012, 11:34 AM
(19-12-2012 11:32 AM)yongkykun Wrote:  
(19-12-2012 11:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  Who? And please provide quotes.
Well, I said I (subjective) and vibe (also subjective), so it's pretty pointless, really, to quote the ones who gave me said vibes. Besides, I don't want to point fingers at anyone. It's impolite, rude and childish.

Also, I was kidding. I thought the last part of my post was pretty telling.
OK. Consider