614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
18-12-2012, 12:30 PM
RE: A modest proposal for gun control
(18-12-2012 12:28 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Argentina and Chile would like to object to being called "impoverished"
, thank you very much.
Special Pleading by picking the one or two out you want of the whole of central and south america demonstrates nothing but the failure of your reasoning.

Evolve
18-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Erm, what? You declared all of Central and South America to be impoverished. I provided two examples which are not. See also Brazil, Costa Rica, and Panama. Maybe not quite up to your standards but a heluva lot better than you're making them out to be.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
18-12-2012, 12:36 PM
(18-12-2012 12:34 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Erm, what? You declared all of Central and South America to be impoverished. I provided two examples which are not. See also Brazil, Costa Rica, and Panama. Maybe not quite up to your standards but a heluva lot better than you're making them out to be.
I have been to Costa Rica, and the parts where tourism is bumping is great. The rest is a shithole.

What gun control laws do these fine countries have? Someone made the blanket statement that they restrict them in some manner. What manner is this?

Evolve
18-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't know, I think that's a shitty argument too. Just pointing out that theses nations are not all as shitty as you seem to think they are. Very condescending Westerner view.

I know that Mexico has very heavy restrictions, including on what calibre you can own: you aren't allowed to own guns in a calibre used by the armed forces of any nation. That means things like .223, .308 etc. are all out because there are commonly used NATO versions of those calibres.

And look how well that's working out for Mexico. So safe, I feel like taking a vacation down in Juarez.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
18-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Also, while these countries have very high murder rates, these countries also have big issues with drug cartels and the drug industry in general. Asserting that restriction of guns in these countries has done nothing to curb murder rates is to completely ignore the inability of these governments to head off the drug cartels.

Evolve
18-12-2012, 12:43 PM
A friend of mine from Argentina could tell you some stories too. These countries may have nice areas where the tourists go, but go to Costa Rica's capital city of San Jose. Drive out of the city past the ram shackle huts that most of its people live in. Drive into the country where the roads are so bad that even if you do not get car sick, you will (happened to me). Realize that if something were to happen to you out there, you would likely die before you made it to a medical facility.

Also from Costa Rica. A member of our group had their bag stolen (money, credit cards, etc). Go to the police, no help. Corrupt police means tourists just get told "oh well."

Another year the group went (I wasn't with this group), they drive into town intending to pass through, the locals tell them they cannot. They later say they can but not until the next day. Their rooms get robbed that night.

Evolve
18-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Aaaahhh, so drug cartel deaths don't count? I see.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
18-12-2012, 12:49 PM
(18-12-2012 12:43 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Aaaahhh, so drug cartel deaths don't count? I see.
Unlike you I am not ignoring the fact that other illicit activities invoke violence. I did not say they do not count. I am saying that trying to compare the US with central and south american countries is tenuous at best. That is why using countries like the European nations (I include Australia here) is the best for comparison. That is why I have not brought up Japan or the UAE that have cultures so radically different that it is pointless.

The same reason people leave the African nations out where people run rampant and everyone is constantly fighting. I am not using them as a baseline for limited gun rights because it is an absurd comparison.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-12-2012, 01:01 PM
I argue that comparing European nations with the US is tenuous as well, since one of these categories has regulated civilian weapon ownership since at least the 13th or 14th century, while the other has had permissive firearm ownership for its entire history.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.