A modest proposal for gun control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2012, 03:02 PM
RE: A modest proposal for gun control
Shit, I also effed up what the decreases in rates are. That should be 25 points per year and 0.3 points per year lower over that stretch. Not just a total drop.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2012, 03:04 PM
(18-12-2012 03:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 02:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Violent Crime rates and murder rates from 1960 to 2010. What was this about there not being an appreciable impact by gun legislation in the '90s?

During the period of the assault weapons ban from 1994 to 2004, both violent crime and murder rates dropped (after leveling off the last 4 years from 2000 to 2004, coincident with Bush's presidency). The violent crime rate dropped by 25 points while the murder rate dropped by 0.3 points.

The point is this, crime rates are at an all time low for the last 30 years, as are murder rates. These are trends towards significant decreases from all-time highs in the mid-early 90's.

I am not saying gun legislation is the only cause, but it surely had an impact. Perhaps the decreases in the mid-late 70's are also correlated with the Vietnam War and its resulting impact back home? The War on Drugs might be in here somewhere too with rates increasing dramatically in the mid 80's into the 90's?

Not simple, but arguing that legislation has done nothing is fruitless.

I did this myself from data here: http://www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Crime/...yState.cfm
The assault weapons ban ended 8 years ago. Crime rate still falling. That law was ineffective.
One more time, I am not saying the assault weapons ban was the only factor. Post-war peace seems to be recurrent too, and that would currently qualify.

Rates were constant throughout Bush's presidency and started to decrease again during Obama's.

There are other factors, I am well aware. But one cannot argue that the law was ineffective from the numbers or the rates. The trend is coincident with it having had a positive impact, not a negative impact and not a neutral impact.

18-12-2012, 03:14 PM
I had to fix my graph, it was bugging me.

18-12-2012, 03:18 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/...r-shooting
18-12-2012, 03:19 PM
(18-12-2012 02:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  You have to look at total homicides.
We've done that already. The numerous examples in Europe show that there is a direct correlation between strict gun laws and both a low number of firearm-related homicides as well as overall murders.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
18-12-2012, 03:21 PM
(18-12-2012 03:18 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/...r-shooting
Sweet, one person stopped one other person! And they were an off-duty police officer. And hey look! Other security guards have done similar. The one or two instances where one guy with a gun kills another guy with a gun. Good thing they had them since police don't...

The fact that these people did this in the first place is the issue, and I do not want to live in a society that polices itself when I know how a lot of them think (almost half believe in a 6,000 Earth. I don't want that person making decisions about my safety).

18-12-2012, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2012 03:27 PM by TheBeardedDude.)
But by all means, ignore EVERY argument that contradicts your notion that we are safer with a gun-toting society. Ignoring the facts and sitting in a corner humming to yourself whenever someone disagrees with you is what the fundamentalists in this country do too.

[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-12-2012, 03:27 PM
What, I disagree with you and you make up every possible fallacy you can throw at me, then come back with a dozen ad hominems whenever you feel like?

Go fuck yourself with a cactus, hypocrite.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
18-12-2012, 03:30 PM
(18-12-2012 03:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But by all means, ignore EVERY argument that contradicts your notion that we are safer with a gun-toting society. Ignoring the facts and sitting in a corner humming to yourself whenever someone disagrees with you is what the fundamentalists in this country do too.
(18-12-2012 03:27 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  What, I disagree with you and you make up every possible fallacy you can throw at me, then come back with a dozen ad hominems whenever you feel like?

Please keep the discussions clear of personal attacks, both of you. You're mature enough to avoid this kind of behavior.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
18-12-2012, 03:31 PM
(18-12-2012 03:27 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  What, I disagree with you and you make up every possible fallacy you can throw at me, then come back with a dozen ad hominems whenever you feel like?

I was talking to BlackKnight actually in my last couple of posts.

You just seem to be on the special pleading side of the fallacy line by looking at the numbers and only being able to find ways to argue out of it. Ignoring everything else.

Such malice and animosity. You don't like someone else's opinion and you tell them to go fuck themselves. How can any reasoned and rationed discussion ever occur with such attitudes? It is as if I am explaining radiometric dating to a YEC.

[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hobby Lobby and birth control wazzel 7 185 06-04-2014 11:29 AM
Last Post: Alex_Leonardo
  Gun Control Phaedrus 213 5,657 01-10-2013 05:12 PM
Last Post: aurora
  How Single Issue Voters can Control JAH 1 283 01-06-2013 02:44 PM
Last Post: BryanS
  A modest proposal for electoral reform Peterkin 20 1,357 14-02-2013 01:55 AM
Last Post: glueparkenigma
  The Facts on Gun Control FZUMedia 4 490 24-12-2012 10:42 PM
Last Post: fstratzero
  Gun Control - a discussion Red Celt 58 3,109 30-07-2012 04:15 AM
Last Post: SharkByte
  Gun Control (is Bullshit?) Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 138 7,537 27-06-2012 11:40 AM
Last Post: Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver