Photo A more accurate Pascals Wager...

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Adenosis's post
13-12-2013, 10:21 PM
RE: A more accurate Pascals Wager...
That's the best-case scenario, too. It assumes you not only believe, but live without any sinning (or other religious equivalents) that would get you on the wrong side of your god.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 5 users Like Elesjei's post
13-12-2013, 10:52 PM
(13-12-2013 10:21 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  That's the best-case scenario, too. It assumes you not only believe, but live without any sinning (or other religious equivalents) that would get you on the wrong side of your god.

Very good point. It's most likely going to be hellfire for all involved.
13-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Except the atheists Laughat
14-12-2013, 12:12 AM
my friend had one of these that is like a 100 X 100 graph of different possibilities. But...I'm not going to go looking for it.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
14-12-2013, 12:23 AM
(14-12-2013 12:12 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  my friend had one of these that is like a 100 X 100 graph of different possibilities. But...I'm not going to go looking for it.
I assume you mean this one? Consider

[Image: aVSVQ.png]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
14-12-2013, 02:13 AM
that's the one!

14-12-2013, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2013 11:01 AM by Adrianime.)
IMO, the blaring idiotic omission in Pascal's wager is saying that "believe in god, but be wrong, means nothing"

If by nothing you mean wasting your entire life living a lie, instead of actually enjoying it to the fullest. If by nothing you mean being psychologically enslaved in fear. Being afraid to think for yourself, or live for yourself. Being afraid to question. If not appreciating life for what it is, instead of what you wish it was.. is "nothing". Well, that's just stupid IMO.

If a husband cheats on his wife, but she never learns of it, no harm done right?

14-12-2013, 02:59 AM
I prefer the Four Solaces of the Buddha:

"Now, Kalamas, one who is a disciple of the noble ones — his mind thus free from hostility, free from ill will, undefiled, & pure [Taq note: by virtue of discerning the benefits of the rejection of greed, aversion and delusion] — acquires four assurances in the here-&-now:

"If there is a world after death, if there is the fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then this is the basis by which, with the break-up of the body, after death, I will reappear in a good destination, the heavenly world.' This is the first assurance he acquires.

"'But if there is no world after death, if there is no fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then here in the present life I look after myself with ease — free from hostility, free from ill will, free from trouble.' This is the second assurance he acquires.

"'If evil is done through acting, still I have willed no evil for anyone. Having done no evil action, from where will suffering touch me?' This is the third assurance he acquires.

"'But if no evil is done through acting, then I can assume myself pure in both respects.' This is the fourth assurance he acquires.

"One who is a disciple of the noble ones — his mind thus free from hostility, free from ill will, undefiled, & pure — acquires these four assurances in the here-&-now."

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
14-12-2013, 03:39 AM
TBD had one of these posted ages ago. It is a neat picture. If I were a university/college proffesor that taught a religion class this would be required reading...or at least a poster on my classroom or office wall.